Menu

DS is having trouble learning the letter sounds

Quiver0f10

My Ds is 6 and is a Ker. He is having trouble learning the letter sounds. We are using PP, plus reviewing the letter sounds using the flash cards from SWR. We have gone through page 34 of PP twice now and he still can't recall most of the sounds on his own. I don't know if I should continue on or not or just keep reviewing? or...?

I have another son who is dyslexic and I am trying not to panic.

Thanks.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Years ago my niece learned sounds using the Letter People. When one of mine had the same problem, I borrowed the 45s (yes, that long ago) and coloring pages from a friend. She was 7 at that point and by using the songs along with tracing the letters it did click. The videos seem to be on youtube now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS8GTWOSA60

they have newer songs too, but we liked the old ones. M is the letter to start with. This same child had trouble with reversals, so I followed the method of using a clock face to teach the writing of letters that are usually reversed. So, C starts at 2 o'clock, d starts at 2:00, b at 10:00. It helped her. She's a young adult now and a lover of literature.

How many do you work on at a time? We use AAS, and they have you work on only 4 at a time, and they don't introduce two vowels at once, or two letters that are common for reversals (like b & d etc...). You could work on fewer letters at a time, I probably wouldn't work on more at one time. I've known K-ers to need half a year to a year to learn the sounds, so I wouldn't fret.

Also, try using some tactile methods. Heather (Siloam) has a great idea with Sand Letter Cards. And here are some tactile methods you can use for learning letters or for practicing spelling. For letters you can also make the letter with their body or out of play dough and say the sounds together.

Some kids just need lots and lots of review, be patient, he'll get them :). Merry :-)

I wouldn't panic, but I'd definitely consider an eval. Not all 6 yr olds are ready to truly read, but difficulty with simple letter sounds at this age would concern me. If there is an issue of some kind, it's so much better to know early on! I would have his hearing checked, pronto, and then take it from there.

My Ds is 6 and is a Ker. He is having trouble learning the letter sounds. We are using PP, plus reviewing the letter sounds using the flash cards from SWR. We have gone through page 34 of PP twice now and he still can't recall most of the sounds on his own. I don't know if I should continue on or not or just keep reviewing? or...?

I have another son who is dyslexic and I am trying not to panic.

Thanks.

Others have already given you some great ideas others, like sandpaper letters! (I love those.) I also suggest checking to make sure he hears the difference between similar sounds. Some vowels (like the short e and short i) and consonants (like p and b, f and th, m and n) especially have similar sounds that can be difficult for some children to hear. Some consonant sounds are made very fast. The Letter Factory dvds and many teachers add the "uh" sound onto those quick letters sounds. The extra "uh" sound confuses some children, so be careful with that if he's having problems. Those letter sounds that are made as quick "explosions" can be hard for some children to form and/or hear distinctly.

You might check him on the Bartons student screening. It screens if a person distinguishes some of the similar sounds from one another. He doesn't need to know the letters that go to the sounds to take that screen. http://www.bartonreading.com/students_long.html If he confuses many sounds, there are special programs to help children with that. Children who have problems distinguishing various letter sounds may be particularly prone to dyslexia, and it tends to run in families. It's not cause to panic, but it is something to watch for since you have one child already with dyslexia.

You might check him on the Bartons student screening. It screens if a person distinguishes some of the similar sounds from one another. He doesn't need to know the letters that go to the sounds to take that screen. http://www.bartonreading.com/students_long.html If he confuses many sounds, there are special programs to help children with that. Children who have problems distinguishing various letter sounds may be particularly prone to dyslexia, and it tends to run in families. It's not cause to panic, but it is something to watch for since you have one child already with dyslexia.

:iagree:

Auditory processing issues are a common reason for dyslexia.