Menu

mneumonic letter flashcards?

Shay

I have been working with a 2nd student since she was in kindergarten and finally we have cemented the letter sounds (with exception to w, y ~ which sometimes give her pause). Recently, while taking a grad. course on learning disabilities, I have become fascinated by mnemonics and their effectiveness in storing/retrieving information. For example, an F drawn with the stem of a flower, etc. I have to wonder now how much easier learning these may have been for her had I had this information from the beginning. (I realize this has to be faded).

At any rate, today she was continually stumped with /ee/ until I drew the ee on a page and then drew a fork going into them ('eat'). I was encouraged at the better retrieval after this and so have been googling sources of flashcards so that I don't have to come up with them myself. I have found nothing. Do any of you know of a source? Whimsical is good. I do not want a picture next to letters, as this is the typical way the alphabet is learned in school, such as an apple and an upper/lower case Aa (and has been a failure with her), but rather the letter made into the form of the object to be the keyword. Does that make sense, LOL?

I ran across a study where the use of this was found very effective and the graphic mneumonic was gradually faded from the letter via computer images.

Anyone??

I am not sure I can be much help but there is some truth to what you say about mneumonics. My DS learned his times table using Bornstien flash cards. He started out slowly but now can recall most of his times tables quickly and those he can't he just thinks about the little saying that went with them ( "three sounds like tree eight is the snow man and he swings 24hrs a day 8x3=24)! Have you tried looking at the Stevenson language skills program? They may have the cards you're looking for at a cheap price. Good luck!

Yes! This is exactly what I'm talking about. Since I had no replies, I was thinking I must have poorly worded my question or failed to make sense (I realize I spelled mnemonic incorrectly in my subject line, but couldn't edit). But, the Stevenson program is just what I'm talking about.

http://www.stevensonlearning.com/Language_skills/mnemonic_instruction.htm

Thank you!

Shay

We are trying this program. This was our 1st week. It went well. My ds is 12 so he thought it was cheesy but we laughed our way through it and had a good time. We never have a good time working on reading and spelling. They sent it on a trial basis for a month. The only thing I don't care for is that there is no nonsense words. I just printed some up and he read through them really well. :001_smile:

You might look at this site:

http://stores.diannecraft.org/Categories.bok?category=Flashcards

http://www.winterpromise.com also has phonics cards w/ funny character sayings and pics to help a dc recall letter sounds.

It seems like superduperinc.com also had some at one time - but it's been awhile since I used them.

With one dc I made stick puppets by downloading pics w/ the sound and drew the letter or letter combo for it and he used those as a trigger to recall. My kids also come up with their own pics or sayings to help them remember --I remember /w/ for one was a pic of a waterfall coming off the /w/ on a flashcard --it helped him recall how to shape/write the letter and it's sound. /y/ was a y turned into a yo-yo.

• 2 weeks later...

Itchy's Alphabet??

This looks to be similar to what I'm after, but I'm wondering if they pictoral cues are too busy? The /m/ mountain one on the flip book isn't too busy, but you can see the others on the wall may be.

Has anyone here used Itchy's Alphabet to help store/retrieve letter sound correspondences?

http://www.itchysalphabet.com/flip_book.php

Thank you for sharing this. I've recently looked into this for my ds6. He has storage/retrieval problems and it's been painfully slow learning his letters. We're working on sounds but I'd love something like this to help him remember his sounds :)

Itchy's alphabet looks good....Is it one of the more popular sites for mneumonic letter teaching?

I've only got a second this morning....

I'm still searching for mnemonics for phonics. I think I'm going to order the alphabet flip book to see how it goes with kids who have storage/retrieval problems for learning letter sounds. I'm doing a research paper on mnemonics for phonics, and the research does look promising. Specifically, I wish there was a computer program that taught this way, and then faded the integrated picture gradually.

Re: Jolly Phonics, I do use some of the action mnemonics and they seem to help, but pictoral ones are what I'm after.