Menu

What is your favorite book for Advent?

Jane Elliot

Guest mrsjamiesouth

We started doing a Jesse Tree about 4 years ago. It has been one of the highlights of our advent season. I highly encourage you to one if you haven't! It did take me a lot of time to make the ornaments the first year, but from there every year since has been very easy.

We have also enjoyed Jotham's Journey and Barthomew's Passage.

I think we're going to do Christmas Mosaic this year. :) We also like this one for young children.

ETA: We also have and like Destination: Bethlehem.

Caitilin, can you tell me more about Christmas Mosaic? I clicked through to Amazon and read that it includes a boolist of 200 titles. Wow! I have quite a collection of Christmas picture books (maybe 20 titles or so to date), but I'm wondering if this book would be worthwhile for me to purchase.

To the OP, here are some links to reviews I've done on my blog of some of the Christmas books we've enjoyed:

link 1

link 2

link 3

Hope this helps!

To the OP, here are some links to reviews I've done on my blog of some of the Christmas books we've enjoyed:

link 1

link 2

link 3

Hope this helps!

Thanks. The links were helpful. I ordered Geraldine McCaughrean's book as we have enjoyed her others. I'm looking forward to it. We might not get to the ornaments since we are traveling across the country to ds's wedding in December, but I think the stories will be just right.

And I was reminded to pull out The Best Christmas Pageant. That's one I've read aloud at least four times, but I'm not sure my current batch of little people would remember the last time I read it.

Thanks. The links were helpful. I ordered Geraldine McCaughrean's book as we have enjoyed her others. I'm looking forward to it. We might not get to the ornaments since we are traveling across the country to ds's wedding in December, but I think the stories will be just right.

And I was reminded to pull out The Best Christmas Pageant. That's one I've read aloud at least four times, but I'm not sure my current batch of little people would remember the last time I read it.

You're most welcome.:)

I LOVE this book: The Christmas Mystery

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Mystery-Jostein-Gaarder/dp/1559213957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288838704&sr=8-1

I read it aloud to my class of 2/3 graders a couple of years ago. The kids begged me at lunch to go back to class to hear more instead of going to recess! I plan on reading it again this year. The story goes back in time and across Europe. There are 24 chapters and you read 1 a day until Christmas Eve.

LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! -

I LOVE this book: The Christmas Mystery

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Mystery-Jostein-Gaarder/dp/1559213957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288838704&sr=8-1

I read it aloud to my class of 2/3 graders a couple of years ago. The kids begged me at lunch to go back to class to hear more instead of going to recess! I plan on reading it again this year. The story goes back in time and across Europe. There are 24 chapters and you read 1 a day until Christmas Eve.

LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! -

My children have really enjoyed this one too! I don't know how I forgot about it.

Caitilin, can you tell me more about Christmas Mosaic? I clicked through to Amazon and read that it includes a boolist of 200 titles. Wow! I have quite a collection of Christmas picture books (maybe 20 titles or so to date), but I'm wondering if this book would be worthwhile for me to purchase.

link 1

link 2

link 3

Hope this helps!

I think that, if you like the sound of the books it includes, that it could be $20 well-spent. It also includes, apart from the booklists, some short pieces, either by published authors or homeschool moms, relating to Advent and Christmas, a recipe for each week, a craft idea with directions, etc. It's fairly detailed--I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up at the hsing convention this summer. We won't do anything like all of the books in it in any one year, but there are so many that I think it will give us several advents to work through. :) I also have access to really a quite good library system, with friendly personnel, and can reserve books online too; if you were without this support system, I imagine it'd be difficult and/or pricey to collect all the materials on your own. Hope that helps!

Caitilin

The only one we've used thus far is The ADVENTure of Christmas by Lisa Whelchel. Lots of projects and some short stories/thoughts. I would say this one is more geared toward the younger set. I'm going to check out some of these other suggestions. Some I've never heard of.