Menu

WinterPromise vs MFW

Roxy Roller

If you have experience with these programs, what do you like or dislike? Can you compare them? Is there another program I am missing? Is there going to be a WP written for after the middle ages?

I am looking for a multi-level history/lit program, that is a little lighter than TOG. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I am just not doing it justice right now, with 5 kids in K-6th.

We're happy MFW users since early 2005. I've glanced at WP, but to ME it seems chaotic and confusing. (And expensive!) I also prefer how the Bible is integrated in MFW, and the biblical worldview that's taught throughout the program is *outstanding*. It goes from teaching your child who God is and who made me and the world around me (Kindergarten) to how to share my faith with others, why I believe in Christianity over other religions, seeking opportunities for service (high school), with several years of growing discipleship and understanding the Word during elementary. Theology beyond the basic tenets of Christianity are not taught, as they believe that's for the parents and your own church to be teaching.

One word that always comes to mind to describe MFW is "efficient". Book Basket (the extensive booklist inside the TMs) offers many more book choices that allow you to add more as time and interest allow, but they're not required. What you see in the packages on the website is what's scheduled in the weekly lesson plans. (For the most part, anyway... there are couple things in the K and 1st grade programs that are for sheer enrichment and aren't necessarily scheduled.)

I haven't seen the WP lesson plans to know how they're laid out, but I love the weekly grid that MFW gives me. Very easy to look ahead and rearrange things if we need to, or add or drop subjects for which we prefer to use something different, or just need to skip for some reason.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
If you have experience with these programs, what do you like or dislike? Can you compare them? Is there another program I am missing? Is there going to be a WP written for after the middle ages?

I am looking for a multi-level history/lit program, that is a little lighter than TOG. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I am just not doing it justice right now, with 5 kids in K-6th.

We felt that WP was too choppy, it doesn't flow smoothly. There are also way too many choices for activities.

We really like Heart of Dakota.

I have used both and find MFW much more doable for our family. We have tried 2 different WP programs and I've decided it is too much for me. If I did attempt it again I would have to allow myself to skip stuff. They have so many extra websites to visit and hands on projects to do that I could never keep up. MFW usually has 1 small project a week. Like this week we made wigwams using cereal box cardboard strips, an old paper bag ripped in pieces, and glue. Last week we did Scottish Shortbread. They aren't super neat projects but I find myself doing them because they are easy to pull together.

Edited by AmyinMD

We are currently using WP American Story 1 for 2nd grade history. I really love the WP AS1 and plan to purchase American Story 2 for next year. The selection of books is wonderful. We previously used Sonlight (also great literature-based) but WP offers lots of hands-on projects and as mentioned, has lots of additional resources listed on the lesson plan each week. I think that it is important to note that it is not intended for you to try to accomplish every project and checkout every additional resource. It is just nice to have this info. provided so that if you choose to dig a little deeper on the topic, you don't have to start hunting for more resources. (We rarely check the websites and have only checked out 1 recommended movie from the library) My son loves the hands-on activities though and this has made a huge difference from last year with Sonlight. He retains the information and has greater understanding when he is an active participant in the lesson. He loves history now and is always eager for our next lesson.

I guess it depends of your children's learning styles and interests and your time needs (it takes us about 45min-1hour to complete an assignment with craft). I understand it is not for everyone, but we enjoy it.

Hope that helps and you enjoy whatever you decide to try next:)

I agree that WP is not user friendly. We love MFW at our house. It is a great program that is doable and we are in it for the long haul.

:D

Stacey...does this mean you are doing MFW through high school? How rigorous is it?

I am at a place right now, where I am not sure how rigorous I want my DC high school to be. I know that for at least three of my boys, I need to concentrate on the maths and sciences. I want them to have a well-rounded education, but I don't want them to spend so much time doing school-work, that they don't get to pursue their passions.

MFW's high school program should take an average of 3 hrs a day leaving plenty of time for math, science, foreign language and extra's.

I have used MFW all the way through so I can't compare it to WP. The Bible in MFW is what has kept me there and it is never too overwhelming that I can't add the other elements I want to.

My dd's doing MFW high school, and Dawn is right, it takes her about 3 hours (give or take) to do the scheduled history, Bible and English lessons.

MFW is very well-rounded so that whether your child is science-minded or history-minded or music-minded, they should be able to spend lots of extra time on their special focus. It's college-prep, but not too "heavy" in any one area. Rigorous compared to something like textbooks, but more balanced than something like TOG. And for a science-minded kid, even some of the resources they use for Bible in the h.s. Ancients program will be enjoyable for a science-minded kid (The New Answers Book, Unwrapping the Pharaohs).

MFW recommends Saxon math and Apologia science for high school, partly because of their ease of use for independent study, but you're free to use whatever you like.

I have used MFW all the way through so I can't compare it to WP. The Bible in MFW is what has kept me there and it is never too overwhelming that I can't add the other elements I want to.

:iagree:

We have used and loved MFW K, 1st, Adventures, and ECC. We love how the Bible is integrated into the programs!

I am the same way too. I think it is very important to let our kids discover who they are and kind of what they are interested in doing when they are graduated.

Well, we have not started the highschool, although I own it because I have no doubt that I will be using it nexy year. (my son is in 8th right now) I know it is definately a well rounded curriculum. It is not rigorous to the extent of TOG IMHO. I, like you, don't find that necessary for our family goals and my kids personalities. I think it is just a good solid DOABLE curriculum. Super Rigorous is not always the best. Good solid, well rounded is best for us.

Check it out in the catalog and on the boards. People really seem to like it. I am going to replace the Warren book with Do Hard Things by the Harris brothers. My son is excited!

By the way, this is what I always have liked about MFW. It is fun, well rounded, interesting, balanced, twealable and doable. HTH:tongue_smilie:

Stacey...does this mean you are doing MFW through high school? How rigorous is it?

I am at a place right now, where I am not sure how rigorous I want my DC high school to be. I know that for at least three of my boys, I need to concentrate on the maths and sciences. I want them to have a well-rounded education, but I don't want them to spend so much time doing school-work, that they don't get to pursue their passions.

Thank you for your insights, everyone!

I do have a question about the Book Basket I see on the sample schedule. Do they list books for that? Or do I have to find my own? In the 2-8th Grade schedule, is there literature comprehension? Or is it just the Progeny Press guides that they recommend you should do in 7th and 8th?

I was also wondering if it would be possible to squeeze Rome to current times, into 2 years. My DD is 11, and in 6th Grade right now, and we are doing TOG Year 1 this year. I really want her to start on a full history rotation in 9th Grade, so we need to condense to get to that point.

Another question, we are Canadian. I am wondering how much American history is in the last couple of years - of both the 2-8th program and the high school program. I want my DC to know both American and Canadian history, so I need to know if I can add it, or if it just would not be worth it.

I think it would be really hard to go from Rome to Modern times in 2yrs. I would do RTR and the EXP to 1850 and take out the American Constitution section and add in Canadian history. I know we read about Canada in EXP to 1850 as well as US History. You can call the MFW office on more info to tweak it - they went to a Canadian convention last year so I am sure they had to explain it there.

For the final year, I would grab SOTW 4 and have my child read it between their 8th and 9th grades so that they get the full gist of the history cycle.

Oh, and there is a complete list of recommended books listed by week and subject in the back of the TM for book basket.

I think that trying to do Rome to modern times in two years would be a massive undertaking. You'd lose a lot in comprehension and significance of important events if you tried to do that. I would also vote for RTR and Expl-1850, adding a read-through of SOTW 4 at the end for your 8th grader. OR doing one year of ECC and then something else in 8th grade (or vice versa)... how far does TOG year 1 take you?

But yes, you would get a brief study of Canada in both ECC and Expl-1850. You could "camp" there for a while if you wanted to spend more time on it than what MFW schedules.

MFW covers both American *and* world history simultaneously, so it's not strictly American-focused. MFW is very globally minded. Adventures is probably the one year that wouldn't suit you in that sense, since it's much more narrow in scope.

All that said, you might want to call the MFW office to talk about placement since you're looking at wanting to cover a lot in just two years.

Oh, and that booklist in the back of the TMs... it's quite extensive. About 400 titles (give or take) which have all been pre-read by the author/author's family, so she has personal notes, descriptions, parent alerts next to many of them. The list is divided up by week # and topic according to the weekly lesson plans in the manual, so this makes it very easy to look ahead and get what you want from the list in preparation. The author has also asterisked some titles that she recommends for purchase if you choose to buy books instead of using the library. There are videos recommended for the topics you're studying, too.

In the 2-8th Grade schedule, is there literature comprehension? Or is it just the Progeny Press guides that they recommend you should do in 7th and 8th?

Oops, I don't think question got answered.

Are you familiar with Charlotte Mason methods at all, and the concepts of oral and written narration, copywork, and dictation? If not, you may want to start by reading how she handled language arts (including what we call "reading and lit comprehension") here:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/FAQ.shtml#language

To that end, MFW recommends PLL and ILL for language arts in 2nd thru 6th grades, as well as incorporating these skills into the curriculum lesson plans each week, every year. You might also do some reading on the Language Arts Archive forum at the MFW site, here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=69cca6d15adc827ebdc2685c5597f823

When they get to doing the Progeny Press study guides, they'll go more in-depth with specific, focused lit study. But prior to that, it's done through the reading of many different types of books, both independently and as family read-alouds, narrations both written and oral, out loud discussion, notebooking, copywork, and dictation skills a la Charlotte Mason style. PLL and ILL also have reading comprehension and composition skills taught in them.

There will be more "formal" lit study in high school, too. A LOT more.

All that said, if you want to add more formal lit study prior to 7th grade, you can do that, too. There's room on the weekly grid for you to tweak it however you like. :001_smile:

If I had to choose between the 2 based on MFW online samples and the WP AS 1 program on my shelf, I'd go w/ MFW. WP is choppy; sometimes things studied or books scheduled within a week don't have anything to do w/ that week's topic. WP also isn't chronological enough for me within the 1-yr. program I have. I wanted American history *in order*, not by topic.

I have used both of these after using Sonlight for years, MFW is superior to both in all aspects. My most favorite thing about MFW is that if you use their materials from the get go, your child will have read the entire Bible prior to graduation.

MFW works very well for my family. I've tried a few history curriculums and MFW is my favorite.

I pretty much like everything about MFW, so I'll give you a little list of "likes" that jump out at me:

• MFW does a beautiful job of integrating topics across the curriculum. Thinghs seem fluid--not chopy! Love that!
  • I love that MFW pulls together many resources to develop a solid christian perspective about history, science, and the Bible. Resources are coordinated along with concise, yet helpful teacher notes.
  • I love the art and music study that is included. This helps me so much! Art & music happens here, and I'm thankful for that!
  • MFW includes just the right amount of hands on projects--not too much and not too little. I have skipped a few things, but I don't feel guilty about it.
  • I appreciate the read alouds that MFW includes. There aren't TONS of read-aloud books scheduled, which has enabled me to select a few books on my own to enjoy with my kids.
  • I love that MFW includes SOTW as a main resource!

I know some people find WP disjointed but I didn't. We loved it. I moved to TOG because at the time it was hard to find a program to fit my little ones and beefy enough for my oldest. Now that wouldn't be a problem, but I used them when they were young and they didn't have the upper level US history to go with American Story. The second reason was because of their resale policy. I just decided I would rather invest in TOG, which I planned to use for High School either way. That way I spent my money once instead of spending it on WP for years (with no resale) then buying TOG.

My guess is you would be fine with WP because it is laid out like a unit study like TOG is.

I know how you feel though. My oldest is just now entering D level. I never can get a week done in a week. For ancients I am going to have my younger children do MOH in MOH order. My oldest is going to do Guerber as her D level text (and only Story of the Greeks is scheduled in TOG the rest I had to figure out). I ended up rearranging TOG in order of Guerber. Now that I have a set order from what my oldest is doing I will pull the LG and UG lit for my younger kids, even through it will often not line up with what they are studying.

I was going to do MOH in TOG order, but then I am back to wanting to buy every book they suggest. I love depth and compulsively want to do it all. By letting go of the lit lining up I can use MOH to keep me on pace.

Anyway, I did like WP, and if I couldn't do TOG for some reason WP would be my next choice. I like the looks of Illuminations that was created to go with TOG, but it has so much LA that I would never use because I already own stuff I love and won't give up. Doesn't seem worth the cost, KWIM? If only it has been there earlier I could have done it all the way through...

Heather

I've used nearly all of WPs younger programs, and we're doing AS1 now. I am actually considering switching to MFW.

What I like about WP:

-We love the books, but we can always add in to MFW during book basket time if we like.

I wonder if that is the only thing I like about it, as I'm not very happy with it right now.

What I dislike about WP:

-It's choppy. Even though its scheduled out as a unit study each week, sometimes there are weird things thrown in. Some people don't mind this. In AW, it was the strangest; you would be reading about a set of animals and do a craft on an animal scheduled in a different week. Drove me crazy, and I re-wrote it!

-It's hard for them to keep up with the websites, and at least 1/3 of the links are dead. The movies suggested in the guide are too old for the age range (at least in the ones we've used).

-There are no questions. Some days I just want it easier than trying to think of things to ask the girls and bring things together (again the choppiness/cohesiveness comes up here).

-Bible is truly lacking. While some of the devotionals we have used were interesting and fun, it just seems tacked on.

HTH! I think I've just changed over the last year. We're considering Sonlight or MFW, but leaning toward MFW.

What I dislike about WP:

-It's choppy. Even though its scheduled out as a unit study each week, sometimes there are weird things thrown in. Some people don't mind this. In AW, it was the strangest; you would be reading about a set of animals and do a craft on an animal scheduled in a different week. Drove me crazy, and I re-wrote it!

I think this didn't bother me because we didn't do the notebooking. My kids just liked having a new animal each day, and didn't overly care which. Their are times the crafts did this as well, and again my kids really didn't care. I was so glad to have something I didn't have to schedule I didn't care. That said when it came time to do AW again I decided to just go through each series of books in AW separately at a faster pace rather than buy another AW manual and do the whole program again. Though that is mostly because I really disagree with their resale policy. :D

-It's hard for them to keep up with the websites, and at least 1/3 of the links are dead. The movies suggested in the guide are too old for the age range (at least in the ones we've used).

-There are no questions. Some days I just want it easier than trying to think of things to ask the girls and bring things together (again the choppiness/cohesiveness comes up here).

-Bible is truly lacking. While some of the devotionals we have used were interesting and fun, it just seems tacked on.

I will agree with all of these. In my case I didn't use the websites after a while and was happy without them, never used the movies after previewing a few and again was fine with that, never have done questions, and I have a separate Bible program, so I didn't use WP Bible.

It is interesting to pinpoint why it worked here, vs. why it isn't working for you.

Heather

I don't have anything to add, except that I've considered all of these curricula and appreciate everybody's thoughts! Bumping and bookmarking this thread!

I'm with Heidi! :bigear:

I have used WP Animal Worlds and it was 'ok'. Not as exciting as I thought it was going to be - it did jump around a bit and the notebooking was a bit boring as every page (of the animal book) was the same (as far as I know, the other notebooks in other programs are a lot more interesting). It was a lot of writing for my 2nd grader. I agree to with the resale policy! It seems rather rude to me. Saying that though, I am doing WP Children Around the World next year (at least I think I am!) as we are Australian and a lot of the curriculum providers have so many American programs that we just can't do so it limits us in our choices. And also, I wanted to do a geography and culture year, so it will suit us well. I'll let you know how we go!

I am using MFW K for my middle DD at the moment - we are about 2 weeks into it - and I can't believe how much she loves school! It is well laid out and I think she will learn how to read really well from this program. My eldest DD is slightly jealous over her program! lol. I am pretty sure I will use it again for my littlest DD when she gets to that age.

I also love HOD and I know that I will be switching between WP, HOD and MFW for all of our homeschooling years - with maybe some SL thrown in! HTH!

Saying that though, I am doing WP Children Around the World next year (at least I think I am!) as we are Australian and a lot of the curriculum providers have so many American programs that we just can't do so it limits us in our choices. And also, I wanted to do a geography and culture year, so it will suit us well. I'll let you know how we go!

I am using MFW K for my middle DD at the moment - we are about 2 weeks into it - and I can't believe how much she loves school! It is well laid out and I think she will learn how to read really well from this program. My eldest DD is slightly jealous over her program! lol. I am pretty sure I will use it again for my littlest DD when she gets to that age.

I'm enjoying this thread too - WP, MFW and HOD are on my "research extensively until convention" list - I am leaning toward MFW right now, but have not made a final decision.

I'm just curious what made you decide on WP CAW over MFW ECC for next year? I have tried to compare them both, but it's difficult (for me) without just having the TMs to put side-by-side, kwim? Or did you even consider MFW?

I am using MFW K (for the 2nd time) with my ds and my dd (4th grade) is often a bit jealous too! One reason I started looking into other programs for her for next year is because she wants more "fun stuff" and if we're going to do "fun stuff" (i.e., cooking, crafts, etc.), I need it to be worked into the schedule for me, because I am lousy at following through on that kind of stuff on my own.

I am quite sure that unless something really unexpected happens we'll be using MFW 1st with ds next year - it just seems such a logical follow-up to the K program, and it looks so good! I can't imagine now why I didn't use it with dd a few years ago - hindsight and all that.

Thanks!

Melissa

It is interesting to pinpoint why it worked here, vs. why it isn't working for you.

Heather

It is, and this discussion is helping me. I'm not sure why I'm not liking it this year, so I'm trying to pinpoint it. I still seem at a loss as to why it's not working for us. :001_huh: I'm going to get the some of books from AS2 at our library and try to see if we will enjoy that with a 2nd and 3rd grader, but SL Core 1, SL Core 1/2, and MFW Adv are in the choice list also. Sigh. I sooo don't like doing this. I was ready to go with WP for a while, but now I'm derailing.

I'm enjoying this thread too - WP, MFW and HOD are on my "research extensively until convention" list - I am leaning toward MFW right now, but have not made a final decision.

I'm just curious what made you decide on WP CAW over MFW ECC for next year? I have tried to compare them both, but it's difficult (for me) without just having the TMs to put side-by-side, kwim? Or did you even consider MFW? Melissa

I would like to know about why you are leanign this way too. :)

Edited by 3peasinapod

I wanted to add that the notebooking pages in AS1 are actually less interactive than the AW pages. I would say 3/4 of the pages are filled with text with a space for illustrating the text, and some of them are just text with nothing to do on them at all. I've run into about 10 pages that children can actually do something, and the girls have liked those, but they groan at the others (and I do too). :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

HTH! I think I've just changed over the last year. We're considering Sonlight or MFW, but leaning toward MFW.

With regards to the questions, doesn't WP have questions in the IG that are to be cut up and put in a jar, once done with the reading you pick one {or more} to draw or flesh out the book? I thought there were questions asking about the characters and such.

With regards to the questions, doesn't WP have questions in the IG that are to be cut up and put in a jar, once done with the reading you pick one {or more} to draw or flesh out the book? I thought there were questions asking about the characters and such.

I do know these narration "squares" were in WP AS1.

I'm just curious what made you decide on WP CAW over MFW ECC for next year? I have tried to compare them both, but it's difficult (for me) without just having the TMs to put side-by-side, kwim? Or did you even consider MFW?

I am using MFW K (for the 2nd time) with my ds and my dd (4th grade) is often a bit jealous too! One reason I started looking into other programs for her for next year is because she wants more "fun stuff" and if we're going to do "fun stuff" (i.e., cooking, crafts, etc.), I need it to be worked into the schedule for me, because I am lousy at following through on that kind of stuff on my own.

I am quite sure that unless something really unexpected happens we'll be using MFW 1st with ds next year - it just seems such a logical follow-up to the K program, and it looks so good! I can't imagine now why I didn't use it with dd a few years ago - hindsight and all that.

Thanks!

Melissa

Hello - sorry, I haven't been on here for a while and missed this question! :)

I did consider MFW ECC as well as WP CAW - looked and looked and looked at them! I really like them both - and there are pros and cons to both! The reason why I ended up choosing CAW over ECC are:

- I like some of the resources - for eg, the map where you get to paste the cut-out child from the country onto the country they are from. My DD will just love that, and it will help with her jealousy over my middle DD doing MFW K!

- I like the 'compassion for other children around the world' part of CAW. I know a lot of people skipped the 'plight' part of the program, but that was one of the drawcards for me. I really like how ECC has the mission stories in it, and CAW only has one I think.

- We had just done WP AW and I was totally over animals and ecosystems/habitats and I couldn't face the science in ECC as it was ecosystems again! Also the text for it looks a bit over my DD's head.

- That's probably it in a nutshell, but I must say that I have ECC earmarked for when all three of my girls are old enough to do ECC together. By then, we will be able to digest the science in it, and really enjoy every part of the program.

We are going to follow on with MFW 1 next year too as, like you said, it is a natural flow-on and also I know that the phonics/reading/writing etc will pick up exactly where we left off.

I LIVE with my SL, MFW, HOD and WP catalogues! Truly! I know how you feel about comparing them all amongst themselves! I know these inside out and upside down - I fell so blessed that these wonderful companies have done so much work for me! :) I find every year that I mix and match from these 4 companies.

Hello - sorry, I haven't been on here for a while and missed this question! :)

I did consider MFW ECC as well as WP CAW - looked and looked and looked at them! I really like them both - and there are pros and cons to both! The reason why I ended up choosing CAW over ECC are:

- I like some of the resources - for eg, the map where you get to paste the cut-out child from the country onto the country they are from. My DD will just love that, and it will help with her jealousy over my middle DD doing MFW K!

- I like the 'compassion for other children around the world' part of CAW. I know a lot of people skipped the 'plight' part of the program, but that was one of the drawcards for me. I really like how ECC has the mission stories in it, and CAW only has one I think.

- We had just done WP AW and I was totally over animals and ecosystems/habitats and I couldn't face the science in ECC as it was ecosystems again! Also the text for it looks a bit over my DD's head.

- That's probably it in a nutshell, but I must say that I have ECC earmarked for when all three of my girls are old enough to do ECC together. By then, we will be able to digest the science in it, and really enjoy every part of the program.

We are going to follow on with MFW 1 next year too as, like you said, it is a natural flow-on and also I know that the phonics/reading/writing etc will pick up exactly where we left off.

I LIVE with my SL, MFW, HOD and WP catalogues! Truly! I know how you feel about comparing them all amongst themselves! I know these inside out and upside down - I fell so blessed that these wonderful companies have done so much work for me! :) I find every year that I mix and match from these 4 companies.

Just popping in to say, Hi Nicole!! :hurray:

I was wondering how your year with AW went. I'm going to be doing a bit of Truthquest and then move into MFW also.

Nice to "see" you again!:001_smile:

Yes, I forgot about them. :001_huh: I guess I would just like questions to draw together the different books on some days, to make it easier. I know it's good for kids to make connections themselves, but sometimes leading questions can help. The question cards are for general narration, not specific to each book.

I agree with the PPs on WP--choppy, confusing, overwhelming, and I also found the recommended ages to be very off. MFW was fun & fabulous, but it just wasn't the right level for my dd's (K was too easy for my 4-year-old and my 2-year-old only understood the letters and already knew them). If I had the money & could get the right levels I would totally try MFW again. WP, probably never again.

Just popping in to say, Hi Nicole!! :hurray:

I was wondering how your year with AW went. I'm going to be doing a bit of Truthquest and then move into MFW also.

Nice to "see" you again!:001_smile:

Hello, hello! Nice to 'see' you too! lol.

I should email you and say hi - pm your email to me! :)