Menu

accelerating math dilemma (mcruffy)

shinyhappypeople

DD2 is very smart and about to catch up to DD1 in math. She's slated to finish McRuffy K in early December (started in September). Everything DD2 is doing she's mastered, so it's busywork. However, she LOVES her McRuffy math, so she wants to do it anyway. I don't want to move her to the gr. 1 book yet because big sister is maybe 1/3 of the way through McR gr1.

DD1 is bright but we had a tough math year last year. So, she's doing a bit of catch up/review this year. No big deal except it would devastate her to have her little sister catch up with her.

I'm not sure what to do.

I've thought about finishing up McRuffy K and spend a few months working on facts mastery, maybe do some MEP, spend some time doing math games/puzzles, etc.

THEN, when DD1 finishes McR gr 1 I move DD2 to the gr 1 book, skip the first unit (it's mostly review) and proceed from there.

The only problem is that in 5 mos. we'll be in the same situation again.

I don't want to hold my younger DD back, but I don't want to discourage my older DD to the point that she gives up (and I can def. see her doing just that). I feel like no matter what I do someone loses out :confused:

I think that one of the great things about homeschooling is that we can tailor the programs to our individual children. They don't need to be cogs in the machine.

It is inevitable that some people are more skilled in some areas than others. At some point in their lives, your daughters will develop gifts in different areas. It is unavoidable. I don't think you can hide that reality in life. And sometimes siblings may tease each other, or one might feel bad. But hopefully they will develop the capability to feel proud for each other, not just proud on their own behalf.

I'm not quite there with my boys :glare:

My younger son is much better with hand/eye coordination, and they are both currently in the same cursive curriculum, even though they are two years apart. I'm sure he'll always have better handwriting. But it doesn't seen to bother them to work on the same material unless I make a big deal of it. Which I don't. Heck, we always do SOTW together, right?

Now, that said, I would try to celebrate the gifts of each child. Find what your older daughter's strengths are and let her fly. It may be helpful to have your younger daughter in a different curriculum so that comparison is more difficult.

Edited by Kay in Cal

I will be facing this soon. (I too have been trying to slow down the youngers just a tad to give my oldest time to get ahead a little) But the fact is, in a couple more years they will pass up the oldest in math. I just can't let the younger ones stagnate in it to protect the older one.

Something I have done, because to my 13 year old and 10 yr olds it's obvious that the youngers have a knack that my oldest doesn't, is to make sure to reinforce the fact that all people have different talents, and just because one is better than you in something, doesn't make you any less smart. My oldest is an awesome writer, so we focus on that a lot.

Maybe you can find something your oldest is better at, and make sure she realizes that it is her talent, while math happens to be the youngest child's talent.

Also, make sure that she doesn't think that just because she isn't as quick to pick it up, that it doesn't mean she can't do it well.

I would get your younger DD her own math curriculum.

I can totally understand not wanting to discourage your elder DD, but your younger DD should not be forced to slow down because of her elder sister. She sounds like she is quiet 'mathy' so it should not be too difficult to find a math program that she will like. And if finances are a problem, MEP is free.

It will of course be more work for you to have two different math programs, but I think it is worth it in your situation.

my 2 cents, anyway :).

HTH,

If your DD really loves math then I would get another math program as others have recommended so that she can move at her own pace. You summed it up nicely when you said you would be right back in the same position in a few months if you just slow her down now. Some kids just have a nack for certain subjects.

This was a big thing with my twins in reading and it is becoming more noticable in math. They are on seperate tracks for reading and will probably move to different tracks for math in the future. We stress that everyone has different things that they excel at, and I have to point these things out frequently, but they begin to see it over time, it's just one of those facts of life. :)

I would get your younger DD her own math curriculum.

I can totally understand not wanting to discourage your elder DD, but your younger DD should not be forced to slow down because of her elder sister. She sounds like she is quiet 'mathy' so it should not be too difficult to find a math program that she will like. And if finances are a problem, MEP is free.

It will of course be more work for you to have two different math programs, but I think it is worth it in your situation.

my 2 cents, anyway :).

HTH,

This is what we did here too. Oldest ds isn't as mathy as his younger sister so we just moved him tho his own curriculum. We didn't do this until last year so it was a natural transition for middle school for him. I was just tired of the competition. He has his own curricula for eeverthing except WWE and he and the rest of us are much happier and I no longer have to hear about little sis getting everything done faster.

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's advice. It's given me a lot to think about. We actually own most of Singapore 1A/1B as well as Miquon, so I talked to DD about how fun it would be to try one of those programs. She told me that she loves her McRuffy, it's fun and she doesn't want to switch. DH also doesn't think we should switch.

And, really, what's the rush? She's having fun. She's learning new stuff. She may not need all the repetition and review, but if she's enjoying it and it's giving her confidence, then what's the harm?

I think I may be projecting my own academic competitiveness onto her. I like to work hard, fast and be ahead of the pack. She's not like that and that's totally fine. This isn't a race. (talking to myself mostly, atm)

Anyway, I think we'll be sticking with our program (while adding extra games and mathy stuff on the side to give her a little extra challenge) while reminding older DD that she has her own special gifts (a passion for science, lovely handwriting, incredible social skills) and not to worry about what her little sister is doing.

I hope this works.