Menu

How we are using SOTW4 including our booklist.

Jennefer@SSA

This summer when I got ready to pre-read SOTW 4 and prepare my booklist I was surprised that several moms here told me that this period was too intense for their child(ren). We started SOTW 1 in 1st grade and have followed the sequence in order so I just assumed that SOTW 4 would be like all the others. Once I started pre-reading I saw just what those moms meant. SWB even addressed it in the foreword of the volume.

After pre-reading the entire volume and doing some thinking I decided that we would cover this period of history but do it at an accelerated pace, focusing on America's part of the story mostly.

I blogged about our plan and wanted to share it in case it helped someone else as they began thinking about next year.

If anyone has any great books I missed or any other thoughts or insights based on your experiences with modern history please leave a comment on my blog or here. We are up to Chapter 20 so we still have plenty of time left to add/delete or tweak. :)

For Civil War, we also read:

Turn Homeward Hannahlee

Saddles Stars and Stripes: Chance of a Lifetime

Go Free or Die

For Westward Expansion, we also read:

Stout Hearted Seven

Little House on the Prairie

For WW 1, I've got planned (haven't gotten there yet):

A Cup of Cold Water

Usborne stories from WW I

I've got a bunch for WWII, but that is pretty far away for us.

We are doing a fair amount of geography too. I've noticed there have been a couple lessons about South America, so we have spent quite a bit of time doing geography of South American.

For Civil War, we also read:

Turn Homeward Hannahlee

Saddles Stars and Stripes: Chance of a Lifetime

Go Free or Die

For Westward Expansion, we also read:

Stout Hearted Seven

Little House on the Prairie

For WW 1, I've got planned (haven't gotten there yet):

A Cup of Cold Water

Usborne stories from WW I

I've got a bunch for WWII, but that is pretty far away for us.

We are doing a fair amount of geography too. I've noticed there have been a couple lessons about South America, so we have spent quite a bit of time doing geography of South American.

Yes! I need to go back and add to that post that we are using the GeoPuzzles along with SOTW 4 as well. Each day he chooses the one puzzle that goes along with the area he read about and completes it. I have been absolutely amazed how much he is learning just from putting together these puzzles. And it's FUN! ;) Timberdoodle sells all 5 puzzles as a set for $50 which is much better than I found anywhere else!

Thank you for the additional books, too!

Edited by Jennefer@SSA