Menu

If an older child has never received vax...

...what must be done before enrolling in college? Do they all require vax records? Will some types of vax be absolutely required by Fed. law, or is it up to the individual college? No flames, please...this lady is a dear friend and sincerely needing a helpful answer.

Thank you all. As far as I know, they avoid vax because their oldest son almost died from an early round of shots. They refused to have their remaining children vaccinated after that. So, it's really on personal grounds instead of religious ones. I wonder if that would qualify for religious exemption anyway? Thanks again, you've all been helpful!

You might not need a religious exemption if you're in a state with a philosophical one (or the college is). AZ, for instance, has a philosophical exemption (aka a personal beliefs exemption).

Also, FWIW, seeking a religious exemption does NOT require you to belong to a particular religious group that avoids vaccination (like Christian Science). Many people write religious exemption letters/forms talking about their personally held religious beliefs that make them want to avoid vaccination (that whole "my body is a temple" or "God designed our bodies perfectly" idea). I'm sure you could find examples of how to write a religious exemption online.

Have they checked the college website for health information? It might be there - you might have to hunt for it, though. I had to have a new measles vaccination (despite having the whole series) when I went to college in the 90s - there were outbreaks happening with increasing frequency and things spread so quickly in college.

That said, remember that as children get older, their vaccine requirements generally reduce - they age out of some vaccines (like HiB), so the schedule becomes shorter.

Edited by amey311
adding more

I went to college without vaccinations. I faxed in an exemption letter, which included wording that if there was a breakout on campus I acknowledged that I was not to attend (at any academic detriment to myself).

I did this twice, to colleges in two different states. I didn't receive responses to my faxes, but the holds on my registration were cleared in a timely manner. If they hadn't been, I'd have just called the school health center to follow up on the faxes.

A philosophical exemption is easiest, if the state permits, but it sounds like he has a sound medical exemption (and may just need his doctor to sign off on it or be prepared to sign off on it, if questioned.) Keep the wording as vague as possible, and there are definitely websites with suggested wording.

Also, FWIW, seeking a religious exemption does NOT require you to belong to a particular religious group that avoids vaccination (like Christian Science). Many people write religious exemption letters/forms talking about their personally held religious beliefs that make them want to avoid vaccination (that whole "my body is a temple" or "God designed our bodies perfectly" idea). I'm sure you could find examples of how to write a religious exemption online.

I didn't have to write anything for ours in FL. I just went in to the Health Department Vax office and kept saying "Vaccination is against my religious beliefs." Rinse and repeat. It is illegal for them to insist that I define any of those beliefs. They filled out the form and the head nurse signed it, then gave it to me to sign and keep.