Menu

waffle irons...

My family loves waffles, and I do too. But what I don't like is cleaning up our waffle iron. We have a high quality Salton Belgian waffler that is 15 years old. It shows no signs of stopping, but I'm sure at some point it will.

Problem is that I never seem to gauge the correct amount of batter...I think I have a "system" down and then for whatever reason, it spills over. The problem is our iron has a ton of nooks and crannies, and the batter gets stuck in them, and I spend half an hour cleaning the ugly mess.

Anyone have a Belgian-style waffle iron that they really like that is easy/easier to clean?

We have the one from Williams Sonoma, and the waffles don't stick. I have to say, once they start sticking - you may as well change waffle makers. We butter the surface between each waffle with a silicon brush. I've also learned to load the batter right in the middle of the waffle maker (not in each individual square). This seems to prevent the kind of overflow that makes such a big mess (usually!)

I have the Waring Pro Waffle Iron. It is the kind used in hotels for the free breakfast. We've had it for 5 or 6 years, no problems. I use the measuring cut that came with it and it has always made perfect waffles every time. Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-WMK300A-Professional-Stainless-Steel-Belgian/dp/B001BXM2LU

:iagree: This is the one we have, and we love it!

My family loves waffles, and I do too. But what I don't like is cleaning up our waffle iron. We have a high quality Salton Belgian waffler that is 15 years old. It shows no signs of stopping, but I'm sure at some point it will.

Problem is that I never seem to gauge the correct amount of batter...I think I have a "system" down and then for whatever reason, it spills over. The problem is our iron has a ton of nooks and crannies, and the batter gets stuck in them, and I spend half an hour cleaning the ugly mess.

Anyone have a Belgian-style waffle iron that they really like that is easy/easier to clean?

My waffle maker is a really cheap one that I bought at Target years ago. I brush a little oil on it with a brush between each waffle. The directions say to use 1 cup of batter per waffle. I use a half cup measuring cup, filling one half and then the other half. Cleaning it is a little bit of a pain though.

The crazy thing is that I use the SAME ladle every time I make waffles. I pour the same amount. One batch will cook perfectly, the next will pour over. The recipe I use has yeast and whipped egg whites. I'm wondering if there are more egg whites in one batch than there are in another, if they puff up more...

I guess I know that waffles by nature overflow. I just want to find an iron that is easier to clean than mine with all of its nooks and crannies.

We have the one from Williams Sonoma, and the waffles don't stick. I have to say, once they start sticking - you may as well change waffle makers. We butter the surface between each waffle with a silicon brush. I've also learned to load the batter right in the middle of the waffle maker (not in each individual square). This seems to prevent the kind of overflow that makes such a big mess (usually!)

We have this one, too, and I also use a silicone brush between waffles. Ours is pretty easy to clean.

I have the Waring Pro Waffle Iron. It is the kind used in hotels for the free breakfast. We've had it for 5 or 6 years, no problems. I use the measuring cut that came with it and it has always made perfect waffles every time. Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-WMK300A-Professional-Stainless-Steel-Belgian/dp/B001BXM2LU

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-WMK600-Double-Belgian-Waffle-Maker/dp/B0034JU9T6

513aD4%2BlGwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I LOVE my belgian waffle maker. It's the Presto Flip Side. It's non-stick, and it takes exactly one cup of batter for a perfect waffle. The waffle pops right out with no spray or oil on the plates (though I do put three Tbs of oil in the batter). What I like best is that it has a tiny handle, and it stores upright in its base, so it hardly takes any space in the cupboard. And, it's not very expensive.

You can see it here, at Amazon.