Menu

Intrigued about MCT - when would we use it?

Aludlam

I'm interested in learning more about MCT. We have taken our time going through GWG (very leisurely). We are almost finished with book 1 (third grade). At what point could we add MCT -- and do people use this as their only grammar program or as a suppliment? Any advice/ info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

It begins with third grade level-wise. The package is used as a stand-alone program, incorporating grammar, composition and poetry. My children have enjoyed it tremendously.

How much grammar did your kids already know by the time they had started? Had they already used another program?

thanks!

Remember MCT wrote it for use in PS- he doesn't assume that the children have had anything much in the way of formal grammar instruction. In fact, if your child has had a strong grammar background, then the "island" level may be too easy (that's why I started my DD in the "town" level).

How much grammar did your kids already know by the time they had started? Had they already used another program?

thanks!

I used Grammar Island with them when they were 7. I teach English grammar in tandem with foreign language instruction, so they proceed somewhat differently. Based on how I teach ELA and foreign language, MCT is easy for them. As a pp stated, MCT assumes no prior grammar instruction. Assuming they have had prior exposure to grammatical concepts, you could easily begin with the Town level.

Looking at those packages makes my head ache! Ever had this problem with curriculum ... you can see it, but just can't seem to figure it out. Calgon take me away!!! or, at least someone tell me what I should really get. That's a lot of money!

You only need the basic homeschool package, but many like the complete. It is a matter of preference, circumstance and budget. It is a whole year's worth of grammar, poetics, vocab and writing... although a bit light on the writing in the first level.

If you are really wanting the core of the program, for the first year, and can't buy the whole shebang... get this...

Grammar Island TM

Sentence Island TM

Practice Island TM (and possibly the Student book, although you can do them on a whiteboard or paper.)

Then get the whole Town level next year. Do not skimp on Town level. Every component is essential in my opinion.

That's my 5 cents. :D

Remember MCT wrote it for use in PS- he doesn't assume that the children have had anything much in the way of formal grammar instruction.

But also remember that it was intended for gifted children. I don't think it's as much about exposure to formal language instruction as a readiness to "play" with language and see it as a dynamic tool.

I love MCT!

Nikki

But also remember that it was intended for gifted children. I don't think it's as much about exposure to formal language instruction as a readiness to "play" with language and see it as a dynamic tool.

I love MCT!

Nikki

I think it's good to know that practice island assumes kids are ready to pull sentences apart on their own. That would be identifying the 8 parts of speech, finding subjects, predicates, direct & indirect objects, subject complements. Differences between linking verbs and action verbs. Finding prepositional phrases, and showing the clauses in a sentence. It throws out quite a bit to do all at once. If you have done quite a bit of grammar, it might be too easy. It is intended for 3rd grade gifted/4th grade regular. I think the ability to write fairly fluently and some cursory background on parts of speech is useful going into it.

I did it last year with a highly accelerated 3rd grade who reads and writes years above grade level, but who had just had base exposure to grammar (2 years of PS). Island level was definitely open ended (and fun!) enough to keep us going. We just added in quite a bit more writing.