Menu

EPGY & Life of Fred... how do the levels compare?

Kay in Cal

My ds8 is currently doing the 5th grade level work in EPGY. He moves fairly quickly (does 2+ sessions a day) and I expect him to be moving up to 6th before the end of the year. He loves doing EPGY and usually gets close to 100%. His favorite part is the geometry. When he does make mistakes, usually it is because he is ADHD and careless (like mom, natch). He then does that exercise again. I know the site says that you should aim for 80%, but that just doesn't seem like true mastery to me.

We've also started doing Life of Fred Fraction. He loves this! We got the book a week ago and are on chapter 11. He's been doing all the exercises, and the first bridge thus far. He brings out the book and begs to do more all the time.

Question: How coordinated are these in level? LoF is supposedly "pre-algebra". Is 5th grade EPGY "pre-algebra"? If we move through both at this pace, when will we start algebra, and what program should I use? I love LoF, but I want a "full" program in addition as well--anyone have experience with EPGY all the way through? Does is matter if we move through two programs at different places/paces, or is that just a waste of time?

Anyone?

Edited by Kay in Cal

Kay, LOF has a "Prealgebra with Biology" book that follows "Fractions" and "Decimals and Percents." I'm not so good at correlating traditional grade levels with LOF, but I assume that LOF Pre-algebra is around 6th grade math, and Fractions and Decimals and Percents are around 4th/5th. I'd check his website for further clarification.

For some unknown reason, my kids are reluctant to do the LOF books and prefer EPGY. One of them loves the LOF books for the story but refuses to do the math :confused:

I find there to be a lot of geometry in EPGY, so much so that I wonder what grade levels that information is traditionally covered in other curricula. :bigear:

That seems right on, then. He's moving fairly quickly and easily through EPGY 5th grade, and we are flying through LoF thus far at a couple of chapters each school day. Mostly I want him to move at his own pace and enjoy math. EPGY has been working well, but he thinks LoF is fun, and I like that. I'm a level ignorer myself, I just don't want to drag him down with one program that is far behind the other.

If LOF is fun, go ahead and do it. My dd did the Beginning Algebra first, after Russian math. It was so fun she zipped through it in 3 months (could have gone faster, but she's not super motivated in school.

Fractions and Decimals are for dc who have mastered the 4 operations of arithmetic, and there may be something else that I don't remember. It's not for a specific grade. I think your dc should also know their math facts by memory.