Menu

Does anyone want to tell me about bowling?

I've been once in my life (when I was teen), so I only really know what I've see on tv. I want to take the kids. I looked on the website of our local bowling alley. It said that it was $3.00 for shoe rentals (I get that you have to rent shoes) and $1.00 per game during the day (3.95 in the evening). So, how long is a game? What is a game? ..... see what I mean? Anybody want to take a minute and give me some details? please

A game is 10 frames. Each frame you bowl twice unless you get a strike the first time.

Make sure the alley puts kiddie bumpers up for the kids (and maybe you, too! LOL). It'll let them have their first games be more fun than just rolling gutter balls all the time. They have little guards that come up in the gutters (the two gutters on either side of the alley) to let the balls bounce off them instead of just getting stuck in them.

The kids will enjoy it so much more that way.

A game can have as many players as will fit the lane - usually between 4-6. Everyone bowls 10 frames and then that game is over. It'll be $1.00 per player per game.

My dc love bowling. DarcyB gave you a good description. The only thing I have to add is that at some bowling alleys they have the lightest balls (6 lbs) behind the counter and you have to ask.

I'm guessing with 3 kids it will probably take you an hour to get through a game.

Enjoy

Cinder

ETA: forgot to add that you don't need to know how to score--bowling alleys are automated these days. You just need to figure out how to put your names into the computer. I bet your oldest will have fun doing that part.

Edited by Cinder

We love going bowling!

If the alley is not busy we try to spread out on the lanes a little bit. The less people on a lane the more often one gets their turn! Helps the littlest kids to not lose interest.

Also there is usually some type of ball rolling thing - my littlest ones like using that to help their ball roll faster down the lane.

One thing to add. Bowling Alleys provide balls but they come in different weights. If they don't have the light ones behind the counter as how you can tell them apart. Some Alleys label their balls with numbers that indicate weight. Besides getting the right weight getting the finger opening right is also important. If you have real little ones there isn't going to be a ball that's light enough to hold but if you have an older kids have him try the lighter weight balls by putting his thumb and first and third fingers in the holes. They should slide right in and they should be able to slide right out but they shouldn't be too big. They fit kind of like a ring would. Have the kids pick up the ball and swing it slightly. He'll know right away if it's too heavy or light. If it's the lowest weight, he can get his hand in, but it's too heavy it's the best he's going to get and he'll probably have to use both hands to help bowl. If it's to light another words it feels like he can bring the ball up to his face with ease. He needs to find a slightly heavier ball. A lot of it is experimentation. Figuring how you throw it to get that strike or get the most balls down, remembering and doing it again, learning what is the right pound ball for the way you throw and of course learning what your throw is. I love bowling and was one of the best in my league. I had an average of 248 when I was in a league. I almost got a perfect score once but missed in the last frame. Oh that reminds me. You normally do get two throws each time until you get to the tenth frame then you can get 3 swings under the right conditions. If you can get all the pens down in 2 swings, you get to take another swing. If you get all the pens down (strike) on the first swing, then you get another swing, if you get another strike on that swing you get a third.

My kids bowl in a homeschool league weekly. It takes about an hour for three girls ages 3-7 to bowl one game (10 frames). My kids all bowl with a 6 lb. ball. Even the littlest (3 YO) has figured out how to bowl all by herself and has a great time. Of course she carries the ball with both hands and doesn't use the finger holes yet.

Just a note about scoring, each frame adds the number of pins to your total unless you get a strike or a spare. If you get a strike (when you knock down all the pins on the first ball of a frame), then your score will not show until after you have bowled two more balls. The score for the frame when you bowled the strike will be 10 (all the pins) plus it will add the number of pins on the next two balls; an "X" is used to show a strike. A spare (when you knock down all the pins with the second ball of a frame) is similar but it only adds in the next ball to the score and is shown with a "/".

Some alleys have a metal framed "ramp" type contraption that the youngers can use. The alley we go to does not and they do fine with out it. Definitely ask about the bumpers. Depending on the alley, sometimes they can set them individually for each bowler or sometimes the bumpers will be up the whole game for all bowlers.

HTH and have fun! Our family loves bowling (I just can't bowl more than one game because of my knees and hands, but I love to watch the kids!)!