Menu

Not that I celebrate Christmas... but what's your favorite

holiday cookie recipe?

My homeschool group is doing a "holiday party" with a cookie exchange.

Last year, I found this recipe online, my husband and I made them, and everyone in my house LOVED THEM, as did our next door neighbors, and our nearby relative and friends. They were a huge hit. We'll probably make them again this year, but I'm open to seeing other peoples' favorites to see if anything else jumps out at me! :)

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

Ingredients

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup softened butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries*

1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

*Note: I think we ended up running out for a second jar last year, so I'd get two jars of the cherries!

Preparation:

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl, set aside.

In another bowl, beat butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until well blended.

Gradually add in the flour mixture and blend well until smooth.

Shape into 1 inch balls by rolling a small amount of dough between the palms of your hands. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Using thumb, press down center of ball, making an indentation.

Drain cherries, reserving the juice. Place a cherry in the center of each cookie.

For frosting: In a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Heat over low heat until chocolate is melted. Add 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon reserved cherry juice and stir.

Spoon about 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. If frosting gets too thick, add a little more cherry juice.*

Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.

Makes 48 cookies.

(*NOTE: I think we ended up spearing the cherries with toothpicks and then dipping them into the "frosting" to coat them, and then placing them into the center of the cookie (rather than placing them first and then "spooning frosting" over them. I think that's easier!)

Anyway, these were SO delicious.

Anyone else want to share a favorite cookie recipe?

Our all time favorite christmas cookies:

Christmas cookies

One or two box of Ritz crackers

One jar of your favorite peanut butter

One jar of fluff marshmellow spread

several bags of melting chocolate wafers

Spread peanut buuter one one side of Ritz cracker, spread fluff on one side of another ritz cracker. Stick together. Do this fifty times:lol: or so.

Melt chocolate , preferable in double boiler, add a spoonful of crisco or other solid oil. Dip Ritz sandwiches into the melted chocolate, shake off excess with fork and lay on waxed paper to dry and cool.

Share with the neighbors & family and don't forget to hide them from the kids. They go fast. These are a real hit around here.

I don't have a favorite recipe that I can think of off the top of my head but those chocolate covered cherry cookies sound heavenly! I may have to try those this year. Thanks for the recipe. Oh, wait, I do have a favorite recipe! It's for Vanilla Kipferl!

Vanilla Kipferl (Almond Crescents) Makes 5 dozen small crescents

4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 pinches salt

1-3/4 cups butter

1 cup confectioners' sugar

2 egg

2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (If you can't find this at a store, you can make it-see step 1)

2-1/2 cups ground almonds

1. To Make Your Own Vanilla Sugar: Place 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sugar and place in pint jar. Put a clean vanilla bean in the jar, cover and shake well. Let stand for a few days, shaking the jar occasionally, before using the sugar. As you use the sugar, replace with fresh sugar.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the salt and the flour. Cut in the butter or margarine, and mix in with your hands.
  3. Add the confectioners' sugar, the egg, the vanilla sugar, and the ground almonds to the flour mixture. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  4. Divide the dough into several parts. Make rolls that are approximately 1 inch thick. Cut the rolls into 1 inch pieces, and bend the pieces into the shape of a semicircle (crescent). Place the kipferl on a baking tray, and leave them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
  5. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. When done, remove kipferl carefully from the tray.
  6. While still warm, dip the kipferl in a mixture of confectioners' sugar and vanilla sugar.

My grandmother was of German descent (Pennsylvania Dutch) and used to make these every year, but with a southern twist (my grandparents lived in AL after they were married). Instead of using almonds, she used finely chopped pecans. I prefer them with pecans. They remind me of my grandmother. We make them every year and my neighbors LOVE them. We usually make 2-3 batches because the go so fast. I can't wait for Christmas baking. Yummy!

These are tasty. I can't resist them simply because of the name. :lol:

Oh, and when it says to let them cool before taking them off the cookie sheet, it means that!

Cranberry Hootycreeks

½ cup butter

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

5/8 cup all-purpose flour (1/2 cup + 2T)

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup white sugar

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup white chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together butter, egg and teaspoon of vanilla until fluffy. Add dry ingredients, and mix together by hand until well blended. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

These have become the favorite cookie around here. I get in trouble if I go to holiday events without them. They are called Amazing Butterscotch Crispie cookies and I got the recipe from food.com (formerly recipezaar).

Ingredients

• 4 1/2 cups flour
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1 cup butter ( no substitutions please!)
    • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar ( can use 1/2 cup light brown sugar mixed with 1/2 dark brown sugar if desired)
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 1 cup canola oil
    • 1 teaspoon milk
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (can use 2 teaspoons) or 2 teaspoons maple extract ( can use 2 teaspoons)
    • 1 large eggs, lightly beaten
    • 1 (12 ounce) packages butterscotch chips
    • 1 cup walnuts (optional)
    • 1 cup skor toffee pieces (optional)

Directions

1. Set oven to 350°.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.
  3. In another bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter with the both sugars until creamy.
  4. Add in the 1 cup oil, egg, 1 tsp milk and the extract; beat with mixer until well mixed, and the sugars are dissolved.
  5. Add in the flour mixture, mix on low speed until well combined.With a wooden spoon, mix in the baking chips and the nuts (if using), and the Skor toffee bits (if using).

1. Drop about 1 tablespoon of dough onto a greased cookie sheet.
  2. Bake for 7-8 minutes (for a crispy cookie bake for a longer time).
  3. Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.

holiday cookie recipe?

What a timely post! I'm going to a "cookie swap" party in December and your Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies might be just the thing.

Here is a family favorite cookie recipe, that was given to me by my MIL. She used to make these for a bakery.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies

¾ cup flour

½ tsp baking soda

1 cup oatmeal

½ cup each butter and peanut butter

¼ cup white sugar

½ cup brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg

2 Tbl water

½ cup chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients with whisk. Cream butter and PB together. Mix sugars, add vanilla, egg, and water. Add butter mixture, then flour mixture and mix it all up. J Stir in chips. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes.

And here is another one that I love:

Soft Ginger Cookies

2 ¼ cups flour

2 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp baking soda

¾ tsp cinnamon

½ tsp ground cloves

¼ tsp salt

¾ cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 egg

¼ cup blackstrap molasses

2 Tbl sugar

Oven: 350*. Combine dry ingredients, set aside. Cream butter, add sugar, beat until fluffy. Add egg and molasses, beat well. Stir in half the flour mixture, then hand-stir in the other half. Shape into 1†balls, roll in sugar, bake on parchment about 10 minutes.

Note: I prefer to break the 1" balls in half after rolling in sugar to make smaller cookies.

Every year I make at least 15 different kinds of cookies-everyones favorites, so I don't have one favorite.

A new 'treat' we've added is "Christmas Crack"- completely disgustingly good.

1/4 (16 ounce) package saltine crackers

1/2 pound butter

1/3 cup white sugar

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar, and bring to a low boil. Continue boiling, stirring constantly to prevent burning, approximately 3 minutes.

Arrange crackers on a cookie sheet in a single layer, and drizzle with sugar mixture. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 5 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.

Remove from oven and spread chocolate chips evenly over the top as they melt. Sprinkle with nuts, gently pressing into the melted chocolate. Cool until chocolate has hardened, and break into pieces. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.

Man some of these sound good!

Here's another we got, I think from a Weight Watchers magazine, that's low fat and simple and tasty!

Crunchy Chocolate Bark (serves 24, 1 "Point" per serving, WW points)

1 1/4 Cups semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup broken thin salted fat-free pretzels

1 cup rice chex cereal

3 tablespoons white chocolate chips

1 tablespoon of red nonpareils, colored sugar, or sprinkles

Line a 9X13 inch baking pan with foil.

Place the semisweet chocolate chips in a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on High until almost melted, 1 - 1/2 minutes.

Stir until smooth.

Add the pretzels and cereal, stir to coat.

Evenly spread the pretzel-cereal mixture into the pan (it will be a thin layer).

Place the white chocolate chips in a small zip close plastic bag.

microwave on high, gently squeezing bag or turning it every 20 seconds, until chocolate is melted and smooth, about 1 minute.

Snip a tiny hole off one corner of bag.

Decoratively pipe the chocolate over the pretzel-cereal mixture.

Sprinkle evenly with the nonpareils.

Freeze until the chocolate is firm, about 15 minutes.

Holding the foil, lift the bark from the pan.

Peel off the foil and transfer the bark to a cutting board.

Cut into 24 pieces.

-------------------------

holiday cookie recipe?

Last year, I found this recipe online, my husband and I made them, and everyone in my house LOVED THEM, as did our next door neighbors, and our nearby relative and friends. They were a huge hit. We'll probably make them again this year, but I'm open to seeing other peoples' favorites to see if anything else jumps out at me! :)

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

Ingredients

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup softened butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries*

1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

*Note: I think we ended up running out for a second jar last year, so I'd get two jars of the cherries!

Preparation:

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl, set aside.

In another bowl, beat butter and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until well blended.

Gradually add in the flour mixture and blend well until smooth.

Shape into 1 inch balls by rolling a small amount of dough between the palms of your hands. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Using thumb, press down center of ball, making an indentation.

Drain cherries, reserving the juice. Place a cherry in the center of each cookie.

For frosting: In a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Heat over low heat until chocolate is melted. Add 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon reserved cherry juice and stir.

Spoon about 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. If frosting gets too thick, add a little more cherry juice.*

Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.

Makes 48 cookies.

(*NOTE: I think we ended up spearing the cherries with toothpicks and then dipping them into the "frosting" to coat them, and then placing them into the center of the cookie (rather than placing them first and then "spooning frosting" over them. I think that's easier!)

Anyway, these were SO delicious.

I can't believe you stole my recipe!!:lol:

I won a cookie exchange/contest with this recipe. I didn't know you could find it online. I got mine out of a children's cookbook! Darn!! Now my secret is out!!

Lovin' these recipes!:drool:

Every year I make at least 15 different kinds of cookies-everyones favorites, so I don't have one favorite.

A new 'treat' we've added is "Christmas Crack"- completely disgustingly good.

1/4 (16 ounce) package saltine crackers

1/2 pound butter

1/3 cup white sugar

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar, and bring to a low boil. Continue boiling, stirring constantly to prevent burning, approximately 3 minutes.

Arrange crackers on a cookie sheet in a single layer, and drizzle with sugar mixture. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 5 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.

Remove from oven and spread chocolate chips evenly over the top as they melt. Sprinkle with nuts, gently pressing into the melted chocolate. Cool until chocolate has hardened, and break into pieces. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.

I've had this before, it IS good. But I'm over here :lol: about your name for them. I'm sorry, I don't care; that is HILARIOUS.

We don't make Christmas cookies, but we do make little rugelach cookies for Hanukkah. They are melt in your mouth delicious for any time!

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup unsalted butter, cold

8 ounces cream cheese, cold

1/3 cup sour cream

1/2 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1 Cut cold butter or margarine and cream cheese into bits. In food processor pulse flour, salt, butter or margarine, cream cheese and sour cream until crumbly.

2 Shape crumbly mixture into four equal disks...wrap each disk and chill 2 hours (or up to 2 days)

3 Roll each disk into a 9 inch round keeping other disks chilled until ready to roll them

4 Combine sugar, cinnamon, and miniature chocolate chips

5 Roll each disk into a 9 inch round keeping other disks chilled until ready to roll them. Sprinkle round with sugar/chip mixture. Press lightly into dough. With chefs knife or pizza cutter, cut each round into 12 wedges. Roll wedges from wide to narrow, you will end up with point on outside of cookie, like a crescent. Place on ungreased baking sheets and chill rugelah 20 minutes before baking

6 Preheat oven to 350

7 After cookies are chilled, bake them in the center rack of your oven 22 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Cool on wire racks. These freeze very well

8 Optional: Substitute your favorite jam or Nutella for sugar/chip mixture

Chag Hanukkah Sameach!

We don't make Christmas cookies, but we do make little rugelach cookies for Hanukkah. They are melt in your mouth delicious for any time!

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup unsalted butter, cold

8 ounces cream cheese, cold

1/3 cup sour cream

1/2 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1 Cut cold butter or margarine and cream cheese into bits. In food processor pulse flour, salt, butter or margarine, cream cheese and sour cream until crumbly.

2 Shape crumbly mixture into four equal disks...wrap each disk and chill 2 hours (or up to 2 days)

3 Roll each disk into a 9 inch round keeping other disks chilled until ready to roll them

4 Combine sugar, cinnamon, and miniature chocolate chips

5 Roll each disk into a 9 inch round keeping other disks chilled until ready to roll them. Sprinkle round with sugar/chip mixture. Press lightly into dough. With chefs knife or pizza cutter, cut each round into 12 wedges. Roll wedges from wide to narrow, you will end up with point on outside of cookie, like a crescent. Place on ungreased baking sheets and chill rugelah 20 minutes before baking

6 Preheat oven to 350

7 After cookies are chilled, bake them in the center rack of your oven 22 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Cool on wire racks. These freeze very well

8 Optional: Substitute your favorite jam or Nutella for sugar/chip mixture

Chag Hanukkah Sameach!

DH loves rugelach and I never make them -- I will have to try these at Hanukkah!

Wait - no one has mentioned Andes Candies cookies? I got the recipe here, well, on the old board, several years ago. Wish I could remember who posted it originally as I would love to say thanks again! I bring them to all sorts of holiday events and they always get raves!

Andes Candies Cookies

¾ cups butter (1.5 sticks)

1 ½ cups brown sugar

2 tbs water

12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

2 eggs

2 ½ cups white flour

½ tsp salt

1 ¼ tsp baking soda

3 boxes Andes Candies

Preheat oven to 350

Melt butter, sugar and water in a pot on a very low flame. Add chips and stir until partially melted. Remove from heat and let sit about 10 m.

While the chocolate cools, combine flour, salt and soda in a separate bowl.

Add the eggs to the chocolate and mix well. Add the flour mixture and mix well. It will be pretty stiff. Refrigerate the dough for about 1 hour before baking. Form dough into small balls and bake for 7-10m.

As soon as each cookie sheet is out of the oven place a candy on each cookie. Wait a few minutes and then spread the melted candy over the top of the cookie with the back of a spoon. They will take a while to set. These cookies freeze really well and taste especially good partially frozen!

Here are a couple of our favorites!

Pearls ‘n’ Chocolate Cookies

2 ¼ C all-purpose flour

2/3 C cocoa

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

1 C (2 sticks) butter, softened

¾ C sugar

2/3 C firmly packed brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 10 oz package (1 ½ C) white chocolate baking pieces

Preheat oven to 350ºF. In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in white chocolate baking pieces. Drop by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 9-10 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets. Cool completely.

Makes about 2 ½ dozen (3 inch) cookies.

Gooey Butter Cookies

1 cream cheese

1 stick butter

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

1 yellow cake mix

Chill dough. Roll balls into powdered sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes. Do not overcook!

Wait - no one has mentioned Andes Candies cookies? I got the recipe here, well, on the old board, several years ago. Wish I could remember who posted it originally as I would love to say thanks again! I bring them to all sorts of holiday events and they always get raves!

Andes Candies Cookies

¾ cups butter (1.5 sticks)

1 ½ cups brown sugar

2 tbs water

12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

2 eggs

2 ½ cups white flour

½ tsp salt

1 ¼ tsp baking soda

3 boxes Andes Candies

Preheat oven to 350

Melt butter, sugar and water in a pot on a very low flame. Add chips and stir until partially melted. Remove from heat and let sit about 10 m.

While the chocolate cools, combine flour, salt and soda in a separate bowl.

Add the eggs to the chocolate and mix well. Add the flour mixture and mix well. It will be pretty stiff. Refrigerate the dough for about 1 hour before baking. Form dough into small balls and bake for 7-10m.

As soon as each cookie sheet is out of the oven place a candy on each cookie. Wait a few minutes and then spread the melted candy over the top of the cookie with the back of a spoon. They will take a while to set. These cookies freeze really well and taste especially good partially frozen!

OMG, I've never heard of these! They sound FABULOUS! James Bond and I love Andes candies. I will HAVE to make these this year. Thanks for the recipe.

These are my favorite cookies of all time. I love them, love them, love them!

Pecan Praline Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

For the icing

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup whipping cream

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup whole pecans

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large mixer bowl, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.

In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; mix into butter mixture to blend thoroughly.

Form tablespoons of dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Cool on pans 10 minutes, then remove to racks to cool completely.

To make icing: In small saucepan over medium heat, mix brown sugar and cream; bring to boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in powdered sugar; stir until smooth. Dip bottoms of pecans into icing and place 2 on each cookie; drizzle tops with icing.

Makes about 3 dozen (2 3/4-inch) cookies.