Menu

Are you having guests for Thanksgiving?

Yes, my MIL & FIL fly in every year for Thanksgiving (10 days) and Christmas (14-16 days) along with BIL & Family. They all stay at our house, so we will put away the books and enjoy the family.

We will be using the "dead time" in-between the two holidays for ITBS testing since it is hard to get back into work for those couple of weeks in between visits. So, we are looking forward to our 6 week semester break :) in a couple of weeks.

I wish I knew. One day I hear they're coming here. The next I hear it's going to be at ________. And then another place altogether completely different another week. :glare:

I will be here. We don't all fit in the family car and neither of us wants to drive both ways by ourselves.

Yep. Since we're in Europe and very few people go to the States for T-giving, we do a big get together at our house. We're having several families over that we hang out with during the year. Last year we had about 14 adults and 8 kids. This year will be a bit smaller as several of our friends have moved and 2 of the families from last year are going on vacation over the holiday weekend. I think we'll have about 8 adults and 5 or 6 kids. We have a nice dinner (we provide turkey, dressing and a side dish or two and then everyone else brings something to share-side dish or dessert) and then we play games (Pictionary, Taboo, etc) after dinner. Since we can't be with our families, we kind of make our own. It's also nice that not everyone has to make a complete meal, but only a few dishes.

We've been hosting for gosh, 12 years? Not exactly sure, I'd have to look at pictures to figure it out :)

It's usually us five, my parents (now just my dad :crying: ), my sister/brother-in-law/their 3 kids, and our other sister with anyone she'd like to bring along. We've had my bil's parents, assorted aunts and uncles, dh's cousins, dh's grandmother who doesn't get out much anymore, and random friends join us over the years.

I love cooking for a crowd on Thanksgiving :) My sister and bil make all the appetizers and a dessert, underemployed sister brings whipped cream, Dad brings the wine, and the kids and I do the rest of the food. And dh does all the dishes! Even the good china by hand!

My mother and father invited themselves, along with my sisters (19 and 17) and the 19yo's boyfriend, over for Thanksgiving:glare:. It should be interesting, considering the last time they came over they refused to stay at our house (my dad thinks we're Catholic, even though we're Lutheran, and he has issues with Catholicism) and left early because I was not affectionate enough with my mother. Apparently staying up late and waking up early with a raging sinus infection to cook a huge meal for them, only to have my picky sisters not eat half of it was not enough of a display of love. Also, my then-15yo sis called me a b!t@h in front of my parents because I wouldn't let her play video games all night. Anyone know of any special Thanksgiving-related alcoholic beverages?

My mother and father invited themselves, along with my sisters (19 and 17) and the 19yo's boyfriend, over for Thanksgiving:glare:. It should be interesting, considering the last time they came over they refused to stay at our house (my dad thinks we're Catholic, even though we're Lutheran, and he has issues with Catholicism) and left early because I was not affectionate enough with my mother. Apparently staying up late and waking up early with a raging sinus infection to cook a huge meal for them, only to have my picky sisters not eat half of it was not enough of a display of love. Also, my then-15yo sis called me a b!t@h in front of my parents because I wouldn't let her play video games all night. Anyone know of any special Thanksgiving-related alcoholic beverages?

LOL Oh my gosh. I feel you! I would just let it roll off. Tell them they are the best and you are lucky.

We are camping this year. The campground is only half an hour from our home. I invited my in-laws and some cousins. My SIL will be here the day after Thanksgiving. A cousin or two may come if work schedules work out. My MIL wanted to come. My FIL didn't want to. My MIL was going to come with out him. Then my FIL decided he want to come with his camping trailer---but by that point 6 weeks had gone by and there are no longer campgrounds available for him and his trailer. So, then he decided he can't come. I offered our home. He now wants to bring his three Doberman dogs. Uhhh! That doesn't work for our little condo with no yard. So, who knows who will join us!

You know I'm use to this kind of drama. That's one reason I wanted to camp this year. We are going to leave. Whoever comes comes. I will be relaxing by the ocean and doing what I want.

We are having my two cousins over. They never had kids so it's a blast watching them watch the kids.

And my classical homeschooling friend is coming over with her kids in the afternoon to escape her crazy MIL. But she will have already eaten so we'll just nosh together and maybe do some science. :)

Also, my then-15yo sis called me a b!t@h in front of my parents because I wouldn't let her play video games all night. Anyone know of any special Thanksgiving-related alcoholic beverages?

I don't do any holidays without some chocolate wine and/or Bailey's in the house!!! :D

Good luck!

Nope. We go to church early on Thanksgiving morning to help prepare meals (turkey, green beans, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberries & bread) for about 600 people. We usually go out and deliver about 50 of those meals (similar to a Meals on Wheels route) and then head home around 1:30pm to make our own meal. My dad lives with us, so he will eat with us, of course.

Actually, I thought we'd have turkey, not guests. Guests might object to us having them.

Wait, you mean sharing the meal. No we aren't inviting anyone. We haven't been invited although I suspect one of my siblings will invite us. I think I just want to stay home though (I know that's kind of anti-thanksgiving).

HAHA! NO!!! I am the guest at every holiday event this year. I'm loving it. I don't have to clean. I don't have to empty the fridge to hold tons of food. I don't have to worry about having enough space or baby-proofing or cats sliding across the nice holiday tablecloth for the sheer fun of it (yes, I have a cat who does that). I'd happily host for my own family if they wanted me to, but it's especially nice not to have to worry about the in-laws (they're the ones with the baby in the family). Ahhhhhh... inner peace.