Menu

Phone interview etiquette...

Dh has been underemployed (or is it underpaid? lol) for quite some time now and he finally has a phone interview with a major company doing what he's qualified to do. The pay would be comfortable and would really save our behinds.

I'm wondering if there are any appropriate questions to ask in a phone interview--or subsequent interviews, for that matter--about the stability of the company or how the economy has affected the company? I am terrified to take a leap away from a pretty secure job that doesn't pay enough to a job that pays enough, but has an unknown level of security. I'm excited about the possibilities and terrified of that unknown.

Is there any way to ask about this or is this improper and we should do our own research...and what would that research entail?

Thank you!

Dh has been underemployed (or is it underpaid? lol) for quite some time now and he finally has a phone interview with a major company doing what he's qualified to do. The pay would be comfortable and would really save our behinds.

I'm wondering if there are any appropriate questions to ask in a phone interview--or subsequent interviews, for that matter--about the stability of the company or how the economy has affected the company? I am terrified to take a leap away from a pretty secure job that doesn't pay enough to a job that pays enough, but has an unknown level of security. I'm excited about the possibilities and terrified of that unknown.

Is there any way to ask about this or is this improper and we should do our own research...and what would that research entail?

Thank you!

The more research he does prior to the interview, the better impressed the company is likely to be. The research should lead naturally to several specific questions that will show him to be well prepared for the phone call.

I usually save any "git" questions (what do I 'git?' e.g. pay/bonuses, moving expenses, benefits, vacation, perks etc). until after the company shows enthusiam for continuing the conversation with 2nd interview or a preliminary offer. It creates a seriousness about the job that employers are starving for. Plus, a lot of answers to these questions usually are offered once the company decides they might want him.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Edited by Barry Goldwater
fixed it.

Thanks, ladies! He had the phone interview about 5 minutes after I posted! It was more like a general screening to be sure he had the qualifications, to ask about his resume and make sure he isn't a nutball, but he thinks he will get a face-to-face interview. Yay!! Thank you for the advice. :)