Menu

Where do you go for Christmas?

We have always gone to my FIL's house on Christmas Eve in the afternoon and my mom's house Christmas mid-morning for brunch. This year neither of my brothers will be home for Christmas (one lives in Kansas and one is in Afghanistan). The one who is deployed is taking his two week leave in January, so my other brother is coming home then, and we will celebrate Christmas all together. :) I have reconnected with several members of my biological father's family this summer, so we will spend some time with them for Christmas this year as well; I just don't know when exactly.

My girls are the only kids that will be here for Christmas (besides my 3 month old niece). I would really like to have everyone (fil, my parents, my sister-in-law who lives here, my step-sister and her baby) come to our home on Christmas Eve morning, and then we can just stay home on Christmas day. But my mother (of course) doesn't like that idea one bit because she wants us all there for Christmas day. She is giving my girls a Wii for Christmas, and I think it's dumb to go there for Christmas where they can't even hook it up and play with it, lol. I'm sticking to my guns on this one! :)

So how do you spend your Christmas holidays?

At home. Dd is an October baby so her first Christmas she didn't have a clue. I did though. We spent more time on the road with that 3-month old baby than was right. I told dh that evening on the way home that from that day on Christmas would be spent at our house. If family wants to see her on Christmas day they can come to her.

It helps now that we are 1500+ miles away from most family. And she is of an age now that if we decided to go somewhere for Christmas it wouldn't be a big deal anymore.

We have to be here, because dh does the midnight service on Christmas Eve. He trades Thanksgiving for Christmas Day with our assistant (she doesn't have kids at home) so he doesn't have to go in for that service. My parents alternate coming to my house or my sil's (my eldest bro died)--this year they may go to my other brother's in WI. He is not a Christian and his wife is Jewish, but they still do a cultural Christmas, and my parents have never been to their house then. I hope they get invited and go.

We have my father and stepmother come here the weekend before Christmas or we go to their house. Christmas Eve we get my oldest dd from her dad (if it's his week or she's already with us) and go to my mother and stepfather's house. DD stays with us overnight so we can do Christmas morning at home with the little kids. Once she is picked up by her dad (around 1pm) we drive 2 1/2 hours down to IL's house for Christmas Dinner. Depending on what day Christmas falls on and when dh has to go back to work, we stay a few nights with IL's before coming home.

We've stayed home, these past few years. We used to pile in the car on Christmas day and drive to Destin, FL to spend New Years with FIL, but we now do that trip over Thanksgiving. Our wedding anniversary is on New Years Eve, and it just got old to be on the road every year for that.

I really don't like traveling for Christmas, preferring much to stay home with dh and the boys.

3 years ago we started staying home for Christmas also.

Love it, love it, love it.

We have a standing invitation for any/all relatives to come here - but we are not piling in the car and driving hours to visit relatives on Christmas any more.

If we had relatives who lived in the same town, it would be different.

Maybe.

For us - this works out perfectly. DS has life-threatening allergies and, frankly, navigating someone else's home and kitchen is harrowing. Add to that any pot-luck element and it is impossible. We used to cook an entire holiday dinner for DS, to eat at the relatives' houses, but that is simply too much work.

Of all days, on Christmas, DS deserves to feel safe. And DH and I deserve a little break from being constantly on high alert.

We stay home for Christmas. My grandparents usually come on Christmas Eve and stay until the day after Christmas (they stay in a hotel nearby). My mom usually drives over on Christmas morning (lives about 40 minutes away). My dad lives with us, so he's already here!! We don't see dh's family over Christmas (in fact, we see them every other year or sometimes every 3 years and always over Thanksgiving).

My extended family (mom's side) has a big Christmas party on one of the weekends leading up to the holiday, so that's when we see them. It's always a great time.

On Christmas Eve we usually visit with the one aunt/uncle and set of cousins from my dad's side that have stayed in touch with us since he died (many years ago). My aunt and uncle come in to their daughter's house from out of town, and it's one of the only times we get to see them, or else I probably would have stopped going - they have a lot of family drama and everybody is always cranky and miserable there, it's really not very much fun.

We have gone to the inlaws for Christmas day every single year since we've been together. BUT NO MORE! We're staying home this year! Wooohooooo! :party:

Sorry, did I let my true feelings show there? :tongue_smilie:

MIL has been getting nastier and nastier with us the past few years. She's mean about the kids food allergies and what they can't eat. She's mean about smoking outside when we're over. She likes to lay guilt trips while everyone is opening presents. Last year was absolutely horrible. This year I'm going to be 9 months pregnant, and we just decided we weren't up for the stress of rushing through our own Christmas morning, packing up the kids and gifts and trucking to their house for a SECOND Christmas morning. Then spending the day sprinting around their VERY non-kid-friendly house trying to keep the toddler from destroying himself or anything else, while FIL watches television all day and MIL complains that her dinner sucks because she had to cook with foods we could eat and that we've ruined her Christmas traditions because our kids are allergic to wheat and can't eat her cookies. NO THANKS!

We're staying at home and having a fun, relaxing day with JUST US and no stress. The inlaws can come over on Boxing day.

It changes from year to year. This year we will stay home for both Christmas and Christmas Eve. My parents are going to start traveling every other Christmas. So on the Christmas they are home, we go over to their house in the afternoon. This Christmas they are going away, so it will be just us. Mom is planning to have a belated Christmas after the New Year with her grand kids.

I am actually looking forward to staying in all day! As much as I love to go see my family in the afternoon, I do feel like our morning time together as a family is rushed. All of the out of town family stays at my moms, and I know that they are waiting for us to show so they can unwrap gifts. It puts a little pressure on my mind to hurry through the morning.

we try to split every other year with each side of the family, but I'm happy to say...we're not going ANYWHERE this year. We're not leaving the house, we're not making a big meal, we're just going to stay together, have a quiet and fun game/movie day, celebrate the birth of our Savior...and go nowhere. We might not even get out of our Christmas Eve Jammies!

We go to my paternal grandparents' house and then to my Dad's on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning my mom/stepdad and brother/SIL come over to our house for present opening. Then we go to my other grandmother's in the afternoon. Last year a friend had an open house Christmas evening, so we went by there, too. I don't know how we'd manage if DH's parents were local.

My parents and brothers are all spread out, so we don't see them. We are about 2 hours from dh's family, and it is MIL's favorite holiday. "It wouldn't be a real Christmas without children", and well, we have the only ones of those. The one year we weren't there (we were out of state), there was pouting.

We leave our house about 1pm, so we can be sure to be there before 4pm dinner (we leave lots of time for traffic). We spend the night there, and then try to visit with my grandmother the following day before heading home.

Nowhere. When we had kids we were very clear with our parents that Christmas was going to be at our home (there was no real tradition in either family, so it was no biggie) and that we would love to have anyone join us who would like to. My parents and Bud's dad have all died, but Bud's mom seems to just not get it, so every year there is a very uncomfortable confrontation. She lives 5 minutes away, so it's not like she can't come over here easily.

[snip long MIL rant]

Oh, but you werent' really asking about my MIL woes, were you? We don't go anywhere for Christmas. We stay home. :001_smile:

We go to my dd's house. She has the largest one with the most gues rooms. Her hubby is the only one that can not get off near the holidays and this allows both sides of te family to get together which is great because we are close to their side as well. Plus my SIL does the cooking and he is an excellent chef. It is easier for us to travel as there is less of us now. We really only need our luggage and dog cages especially since we will be doing very limited presents this year. This will be the third year in a row. They came to visit us the year before. I wouldn't have it any other way. We are so excited and can hardly wait.

Our place for Christmas Eve, with my brother, sister, father and his sister invited. Last year we saw Dh's parents in a park half way between their place and ours on Boxing Day. The year before we didn't see them because they cracked the snooties. The year before that, they went on a cruise so they wouldn't have to see any of us. This year? Either they meet us in a park half way between here and there, or they don't see us. Eventually we'll find our their choices for this year.

Rosie

We spend Christmas at home. When DH and I married, I made it clear that any family members were welcome to join us, but we were staying home. We usually go to church services on Christmas Eve, then have presents and Christmas dinner on Christmas Day. When we lived in FL and SC, I always cooked a big dinner for us and several relatives who wanted to come over. Since we now live in MI, it will be just us!

I am quite happy to travel for Thanksgiving or New Year's - pretty much any time other than Christmas!

Veronica

DH and I host Christmas Day, so about 25 people spend the day and evening with us. I am thrilled to say that I effectively have no in-laws, so it is just "my" family which DH has been grafted into. Even so, there are 10 children ranging from 18 (I guess I should count her as an adult now) to 1. It is an interesting mix, and we have a wide array of food selections for guests and a wide array of beverages for us :D (and guests too, of course).

Our celebrations have evolved into Christmas Eve late afternoon until 7pm at dh's sister's house (less than 30 min away), "Midnight Mass" at 10pm :lol: , individual houses until 11ish, then moving over to my parents' house for a huge brunch followed by present opening, hanging out, playing games, then a simple dinner. It's a nice day though we miss Mom desperately :crying:

For the most part, it is just us at home. Which is great. But there is always a scramble with my in-laws and stepson to get together either right before or right after Christmas (often late night on Christmas Eve!) without interfering with anyone's choir schedule, other family obligations, etc. That part is a big stressful, last-minute rush for about an hour's worth of visiting (my stepson usually spends some of his winter break after Christmas with us, so it's just that he wants to see his siblings open presents without missing out on any of the stuff happening with his mother's family). That part I could totally do without.

Christmas Eve is when my family always celebrated. We go to church at 4, then afterwards my parents come over to my house, and my brother's family too if it's not the year they visit his in-laws in another state. That's when we open presents.

Christmas Day in the morning the kids get stockings and a Santa gift, then we go to MIL's and have turkey pie. Late in the afternoon we often swing by my parents' house for dessert.

We do Christmas Eve at the inlaws and Christmas Day is ours and ours alone. We open gifts, play for a while, go to the Chinese Buffet (a tradition DH and I started when we were dating and lived 8 hrs from our closest relatives), and sometimes take in a movie.

If we lived closer to my family, we would get together as a family the weekend before Christmas.... another tradition.

I will not be away from home another Christmas morning...

Most years we do go to FIL's house (about an hours drive) for a few hours Christmas afternoon... short and sweet and we are home before dark.

My parents would never consider spending a Christmas with us--too many other family members live close to them. FIL is primary care giver to his wife--and she is not doing well--so he doesn't travel anymore.

When DH and I first started our family we lived 1500 miles from 'home' (My parents and DH's mother lived in the same town). We were 'expected' to visit each Christmas--but traveling with 2 infants was EXPENSIVE--and we were just starting out... When oldest DD was old enough to as where our Christmas tree and presents were one Christmas morning (away from home) while she watched her cousins opening THEIR presents...) I vowed not to travel at Christmas anymore... plus our family doesn't really 'visit' when we are there--the Moms cook and clean and keep the kids quiet while the Dads watch TV... lots of people, little interaction... not worth the expense!

We spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at my parents, who live a few minutes down the road from me. I've never spent any holiday anywhere else, or with anyone else, and have no future plans to! I actually mentioned that before we got married, just to be sure my husband knew what he was committing to LOL.

He grew up celebrating Saint Nicholas' Day, so that's when he has the kids celebrate with his family. It works wonderfully for us.

I have a large family, sibling and extended, that gathers regularly - and especially for holidays. I couldn't imagine spending Christmas alone with just my immediate family (spouse, kids). It'd feel incomplete, and WAY too quiet! I have no desire to host, either. My parents have the largest home, so that's always where we gather.