Menu

Latin on DVD

KrissiK

I'm looking toward next year - but I'll have a 3rd grader and a 2nd grader and a kinder. This year has been so labor intensive with the boys (now in 2nd and 1st) that I haven't had any time to spend with dd to do any sort of preschool (I wanted to at least teach her letters and sounds). But, that's ok, I'm not so concerned about preschool. But, next year she'll be in kindergarten and I know I'm going to want to start getting serious with her and I'm going to need some time during the morning to do so. I want to start Latin with the boys and I'm thinking that if I get the Prima Latina DVDs it might free up some time for me to do kinder with dd. Has anyone done the DVDs, is it a good method for teaching? Any comments? Suggestions?

2 words for your preschooler --- "Letter Factory". Mine is watching it even as we speak. (I just jumped on here to look something up while my k and 3rd are finishing math -- saw your post) We have the Prima Latina DVD's, but we will not start them until next month. So, no help with the Latin!

We have Latina Christiana on DVD. We were warned that they were not very good, but I needed 1 subject that I was not teaching or I would go crazy, so we thought we would give them a go. I watched the first lesson, and I saw what the other parents saw, she was annoying.

However, my son loves them, and I am not watching them. He likes having someone else teach. He watches a lesson one day. The second day he does as much of the workbook as he can, then the third day he watches the lesson again with his workbook to finish. It is great, totally complete. All I do is add the flashcards to his ring each week and occasionally quiz him, and check the workbook. It is our easiest subject, and one of his favorites. He wants to do Latin every day.

Hope that helps.