Menu

old

Paisley Hedgehog

I called Curriculum X's business office and they've offered me a special price (not available until next year) on the part of the program I want most. After talking to dh, he agreed that we could go ahead and make the purchase, but we'll have to dip into savings to do it. Not cool. This is a graded curriculum, and with the year being half over almost, I will have to either rush through one grade, or extend one grade over three semesters if I go ahead now.

This would make me strongly consider waiting, but wouldn't be final decision makers...... Special price isn't until next year (calendar year or school year?) Dip into savings. Middle of school year now.

BUT.....it all depends on how badly the year is going. I've been known to ditch things at this point and start fresh (um....already done it this year.....), so I would never tell someone else not to do the same. We do need to encourage one another. :)

If it's adaptable, I would tend to buy the grade ahead and stretch it, rather than rushing through the current grade.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I think if you feel like you have to rush through it, neither you nor the kids will enjoy it. I also wouldn't feel so comfortable having to dip into savings myself. The "special" price would still be available next year, so I would vote wait.

It can depend on your husband and his job stability. It also depends on if you think you could implement this curriculum now and take it slower (or finish at where you consider the semester not year end). IF you did that you could do something funner with your kids for the remaining semester or something you think you would like to teach them but can't fit in! If you know for a fact you are going to use it next year I would go for it just for the simple fact that it is like an obsessive-compulsive thing for me. I have the nagging feeling until I do it. Also, you can read up on it before you use it if you decide to wait until next year.

Stacey

If you don't need it until next year and you have to remove money from savings I would wait until after January to purchase it new. I would keep watching Ebay and the sale boards for the next three months as many people end the school year or switch curriculum in Dec/Jan. (Unless of course you really want to be one of those switching curriculum in Dec/Jan. :D In that case, I would stretch the curriculum out for 18 months and not try and rush through.)

This past fall, I just couldn't spend the money, thinking "I can do it myself. I'll get the books, make my own schedule, and it will be the SAME!" Oh, you poor, stupid homeschooler! You should know better after eight years ! :001_huh:

I don't have any advice, but this ^ made me laugh b/c that is constantly how I feel!

I was in a very similar place earlier this year. DH gave the go ahead to spend (with freight overseas) $3,000 on Calvert/Verticy which is a frightening amount of money.

Apart from the program being a very good fit for DD, what it has done for me is (a) it has given me a great deal of pleasure knowing I am using 'the best' (b) it has stopped me curriculum hopping and wasting time and money © DH feels he has bought into our homeschool and I feel he is taking me seriously.

We jumped in mid-year, and are stretching rather than rushing, so will take a full calendar year to do this (we school year-round) rather than a 9 month academic year.

I hope you enjoy it, whatever you decide to do.

I made the jump to TOG this year, even though I had SL on the shelf and could have gotten away with doing three cores again this year. For us it has been well worth the change. I think that if it is something you are going to use this year, however you choose to do it, and both you and DH are on the same page then I would do it. If you would just be shelving it until next year and it isn't in your general buying plan then I would wait. (In the past we have bought SL cores mid year because we had it budgeted into our monthly expenses, one being for the following year.)

Depends on the curriculum. ;) Yeah, I'm trying to get you to spill it! LOL

But really, it does. What are you using now? Why isn't it satisfying? Is the new curriculum a different "method" that you could somewhat implement now? For instance, is it spine/lit? (sounds like it) That's fairly simple to do on your own, maybe not as well as with guidance, but you could start the method, then pick up next year with the whole shebang.

I would not rush this year to get to next year. However, we usually start in very late August, so if it were us, we'd only be on Week 10 or so, and that's just a quarter of the year. I would consider changing at this point, but I wouldn't wait more than another week or so.

Sooo....what is it? :bigear::D

LOL Ramona! I'm busted! :lol:

Yes, Curriculum X's Core will be available as a separate option next year, which is what I've been waiting on. It will probably take us 3 semesters to do a whole Core, but jumping a grade level now (i.e. starting in January) .... I dunno .... not sure ds can handle it.

I definitely need to think on this some more :tongue_smilie:

What do you mean the core will be a separate option next year? Explain please! Thanks bunches!

Ya think?? Hmmm...not so sure. I've used many years of SL and you can pretty much buy each item individually, so I'm not sure what is meant by the comment of a Core being a "separate option." :confused: C'mon Shari...fess up! :D

I don't know. I'm just hoping that guessing will make her fess up. ;) LOL

After 10 years of crazy curriculum buying, I would say wait until you are actually ready to use it. Things can change A LOT in a few months. If your child is not ready for it, I would wait. You could always discuss with your husband setting the money aside specifically for the curriculum purchase at a later date. However, you may also want to consider this...If it's a graded version and your child isn't ready for the next level...should you maybe rethink dropping down a level? Without knowing what it is, it's a little hard to give specific advice. But, I do hope you can find peace in whatever decision you make.

After 10 years of crazy curriculum buying, I would say wait until you are actually ready to use it. Things can change A LOT in a few months. If your child is not ready for it, I would wait. You could always discuss with your husband setting the money aside specifically for the curriculum purchase at a later date. However, you may also want to consider this...If it's a graded version and your child isn't ready for the next level...should you maybe rethink dropping down a level? Without knowing what it is, it's a little hard to give specific advice. But, I do hope you can find peace in whatever decision you make.

:iagree:I would set the money aside now (I love squirreling money into "ghost" accounts!) while you have the green light and before anything changes. But then the money is still available if an actual emergency arises. Then buy the curriculum when you are ready. Until then, maybe you can start putting a little money aside so that you don't have to take as much out of savings when the time comes.

Ok, ok, I'll spill! :lol: :lol:

It is Verticy Learning via Calvert. Right now, their Core is only available if you purchase their complete curriculum (at the tune of $1600!), but they are going to make it available as a separate option soon.

I didn't want to name it b/c so may folks are anti-box on this board (and anti-Calvert in particular) and I didn't want any feedback on that per se, or how awful textbooks are, etc.

Anticlimactic, huh?! I'll head for the hills :auto:

Only anticlimatic because I've never heard of it! :lol: Clavert, yes, but don't know what Verticy is. And as one who's child is gravitating more and more towards textbooks despite how *I* feel about it, you'll not get any attitude from me. ;)

Just want to encourage ALL parents out there...What is best for one is not best for another...and what is best today may not be best in 3 years. I hope we can all take heart knowing we are trying to do what is best for each one of our children. NO curriculum is perfect. (As is no parent or child) Living books, textbooks, workbooks, no books...They are all approaches and resources to help us on our journey.

I hope you will ALL be blessed and encouraged today! (No matter what philosophy of education you have)

I pretty much guessed Verticy/Calvert. I am THRILLED the core will be separate next year. Too bad it won't have a high school option as that is what my LD son will need. They do have financial aid and payment plans available.

hi, i know it is not popular here either, but we LIKE IT! i am on year 3 with calvert, not the most exciting, but it gets the job done. with 5 kids, i have no compelling need to "reinvent the wheel" -- no offense! i know it is not perfectly tailored to each of my kids, but i get exhausted just thinking about pulling it together myself.

my DH's fear is that i would spend so much time researching, that the actual doing would not happen! so, the cost is worth it to me! also, if you had your child in catholic or private school - the price of calvert is a drop in the bucket!

good luck, amy

As someone who is using Calvert/Verticy, I know what you mean about keeping your head down about using boxed curriculum........

Well I'm one of you. We only use textbook programs now and I really don't give a fig what other people think, especially whether I'm a homeschooler or not. I like Calvert and wanted to return to it this year with dd12 as a 7th grader. But we decided to keep her in some outside classes which are expensive and we couldn't afford Calvert. Now I'm thinking about it for 8th grade, but DH and I are also considering just moving her into high school. We use Keystone, an accredited TEXTBOOK program. :D

As for whether I would buy now, I would probably give in to temptation. But knowing me, I'd also be sorely tempted to go ahead and start it because it would drive me crazy knowing a fully laid-out scheduled program was sitting in my closet while I'm miserable every day trying to keep up with my homemade program. :)

I have to butt in and say Verticy/Calvert is WAAY better than Calvert alone. Meaning the weakest parts of Calvert, from my experience, has been the way they teach writing. Verticy solves that problem nicely. And you can purchase just the Writing/Grammar or just the Phonics/Spelling (which seems to resemable AAS quite a bit) portions.

It is Verticy Learning via Calvert. Right now, their Core is only available if you purchase their complete curriculum (at the tune of $1600!), but they are going to make it available as a separate option soon.

I didn't want to name it b/c so may folks are anti-box on this board (and anti-Calvert in particular) and I didn't want any feedback on that per se, or how awful textbooks are, etc.

Well, a good friend of mine IRL used Calvert ( but I don't know about Verticy ) and she said she really loved the teaching manuals. She thought the textbooks were a mix of some good and some mediocre but she felt the teaching manuals were a real help in telling her "how" to teach.

I have to butt in and say Verticy/Calvert is WAAY better than Calvert alone. Meaning the weakest parts of Calvert, from my experience, has been the way they teach writing. Verticy solves that problem nicely. And you can purchase just the Writing/Grammar or just the Phonics/Spelling (which seems to resemable AAS quite a bit) portions.

That's interesting, My friend never complained about the writing part of Calvert. But she was a professional writer - she used to be a newspaper reporter - so she probably could do well teaching writing with any program.

I'm the one that needs help with teaching writing.

Have you used the Writing/Grammar ? At what age level and do you think it was really good ?

Do what YOU need to do for your kids. There's nothing wrong with Calvert. We use a lot of CLE and that's much weirder than Calvert. :D Oh, and we do tons of Unit Studies too....and a lot of people would say, "that's not classical homeschooling!"

Ah, sigh... Have fun with your curriculum shopping!