Menu

ETC v. MCP

greenmamato3

i need to have a phonics reinforcing workbook for my DD6 to do that's very "plug and play". older DS worked through ETC at that age, but i've heard things about MCP plaid phonics .... which is less monotonous but also has enough predictability that i don't have to be there to oversee if i'm working with one of the other kids? i just want this to be constructive busywork ;)

:bigear:

also, i know she's ready for ETC1 (the first part will be a breeze, but that's ok with me) but i don't know where that means she'd place in MCP. she's working in Phon Mus grade 1 / HWOT 2 right now and flying with colors on her reading. we're starting AAS in january.

I use Plaid Phonics as constructive busywork/phonics reinforcement frequently with my 5yo. She's working in level A, which I'd put at roughly the same level as ETC 1.

I'm not familiar with Phonics Museum, but my dd is about halfway through Teach Your Child to Read in 100 ...

Tiffany

MCP Phonics workbooks are pretty thick - I think it would take most of a year for an average student to work through them doing one or two pages a day.

I have used both MCP and ETC. I think ETC presents everything in a more systematic way but I like the pictures/photos in MCP better. Also, MCP has a lot more overlap between books. My 1st grader is working in MCP Plaid C and it's very easy for him. We skip a lot of pages.

Have you looked at sample pages?

thanks! how long does it take to go through one level of the MCP? like, is it the kind of thing that she'll complete in a few months, or will it take the rest of the school year?

anyone else have thoughts?

The older plain plaid cover ones are about 200 pgs. or so and the newer ones are much thicker. Sometimes a bit closer to 300+.

We have used both, but find that the older ones are very nice and a little more compact.

I have found that the workbook pages are so quick and brief that I have my son now doing both ETC and MCP, as well as Spelling Workout! Maybe it's because he's a boy, but he really needs a lot of repetition to get it all to sink in.

My DD is the same way. She would not do that many workbook pages, though - she has to MOVE! lol