Menu

The cupboard next to the stove..

What do you store in the cupboard closest to the stove? Everything in ours gets hot. What should I definitely not put in there? Oils?

I have teas and coffees, canned goods, flours and sugars, protein drink containers, boxed stuff... I guess I could put some little appliances in there and free up space on a pantry shelf, but I'd like to use it for cooking supplies.

What do you store in the cupboard closest to the stove? Everything in ours gets hot. What should I definitely not put in there? Oils?

I have teas and coffees, canned goods, flours and sugars, protein drink containers, boxed stuff... I guess I could put some little appliances in there and free up space on a pantry shelf, but I'd like to use it for cooking supplies.

I have a pantry, so this affects what I store next to the stove.

All spices, oils, canned goods, everything like that goes into the pantry, not in the cupboard next to the stove. I only keep next to the stove things that go right into a pot on the stove--hot cereals, tea, pastas.

Spices should be kept somewhere that is cooler than next to the stove.

Actually, even when I didn't have a pantry, I still kept most food stuffs somewhere else. For example, I would not have kept protein drink containers next to the stove, because I don't use them there. I use them over *there.* IOW, the principle is to store foods where you're most likely to actually use them first. The second principle, of course, is to store them wherever you have room, lol.

The cupboard to the left of the stove has all my daily pots and pans. To the right, all those special appliances--rice cooker, blender, griddle, etc. I have a pantry for most of my food items. Spices I keep in the cupboard that is diagonally above and to the left of the stove. The coffee and tea are on the other side of the kitchen where I have the coffee pot. I've never noticed my cupboards getting hot when the stove or oven is on, though. I'd be worried if they were getting hot.

Cinder

Cupboard to the left has pots and pans. Cupboard to the right has mixing bowls and rolling pins on the top shelf and staples on the bottom. These include oils, vinegars, oatmeal, corn meal, flour, sugars, and other baking supplies. Spices are in the cabinet directly above this cabinet. None of my cupboards get hot. The only cabinet that gets warmish is the one directly above the stove/microwave. I keep rarely used dishes in that one.

Do you mean the cabinets down low or the ones up high? At our old house, the cabinet to the side of the oven fan and *light* would get hot (from the light bulb!) so I stopped storing spices and oils in there. It stinks, but I'd avoid storing any food items in a higher than room temp cabinet or pantry. :glare: