Menu

RE: New Math Counts

Julie

Has anyone used this or any of the other 7th+ grade math from Singapore? (NEM, NSM or NMC) Would really like to her some feedback on this and there really is not much out there. DD did will with Singapore up through 6B and I have yet to find a good match and am wondering about switching her to one of the programs they offer for older kids.

My 7th grader is using Singapore Discovering Mathematics. So far she is finding it challenging and interesting. I am learning things too... like how to factor, and how to find the highest common factor and lowest common multiple. Somehow I made it through calculus without learning those things.

I chose DM because it is supposed to be a bit easier than NEM and because it has solutions for all four levels. I teach the lesson and dd does most of the problems on her own. Each lesson has one section called "Brainworks" which is quite challenging IMO and dd and I complete and discuss that section together.

I try to stick somewhat close to the schedule in the teacher's guide, though the schedule includes review and exam weeks, which we don't do. So it doesn't matter to me if a particular topic takes dd a few extra days to cover. She spends about an hour a day on math (she's not a speedy worker) and I try not to let math time drag on much longer than that.

DM has an extra workbook available. I bought it, thinking it would be useful for review and extra practice, but dd hasn't used it yet.

Singapore's website has more information on the four secondary school math programs. I found it helpful when I was deciding what program to choose.

Thanks for your responce! Did you use Singapore prior to DM or dive into that?

My understanding is that the DM, NMC and NSM are all easier than NEM, and a good alternative to the more difficult NEM especially if you have a child who is not math or science bound. I was leaning towards the NMC because it looked to be the most student led and looks like it is all contained in one book. DM looked the most like the Singapore that we know and love. :)

We used Singapore 1-6 and are currently about half way through NEM 1. My daughter really likes it and finds it quite challenging. She disliked Saxon soooooo much. NEM is a much better fit as it doesn't beat a topic to death. Although, I know it works well for some students...like my boys. :)

Thanks for the NEM links.

It looks like quite a few people are using LOF as a main text and supplimenting with something else......what are the thought on this from the mathy folks? My DD is not going into a math/science field. She actually likes LOF, I have a couple of texts laying around here but have never done more that suppliment here and there with them.

Who uses LOF as a main text and how is it going?