Menu

Switching from AAS to Megawords

Amy C

My ds10 just finished level 4 of AAS and I am trying to decide whether to get level 5 or switch him to Megawords 1. From the samples I have looked at it looks like now would be a good time to switch. We don't really use the tiles or the board for AAS anymore - we mostly use the cards. Can anyone tell me whether it is worth it to stick with the upper levels of AAS? It seems like he might get more from Megawords at this point.

Also, for people who use Megawords, do I need the Teacher's Manual?

Thanks.

Amy C.

We just finished level 4 also, and I'm wondering the same thing. We love AAS, but the words don't seem to get very difficult even in levels 5 & 6. I have Mega Words level 1 and AAS level 5 & 6 already. I know that having the teacher manual for Mega Words is important. I'll be watching to see what others have to say.

:lurk5:

Probably depends on your child and his or her needs. My kids need lots of ongoing review, so having the cards with AAS really helps us--I get a lot of mileage out of the spelling review box! If you have a remedial speller, AAS is probably the way to go. But if your child is ready to work more independently or doesn't need as much instruction, it might be worth it to check out Megawords. Merry :-)

My ds10 just finished level 4 of AAS and I am trying to decide whether to get level 5 or switch him to Megawords 1. From the samples I have looked at it looks like now would be a good time to switch. We don't really use the tiles or the board for AAS anymore - we mostly use the cards. Can anyone tell me whether it is worth it to stick with the upper levels of AAS? It seems like he might get more from Megawords at this point.

Thanks.

Amy C.

I don't know anything about AAS because we have not used it. My DD9 started in Megawords 1 this year and I am already seeing improvement in her spelling. We just started the 3rd list in the book today and she said "You know Mom, I learned all of these rules in first grade." I explained again that the same rules she learned for reading could make her a better speller if she applied them while spelling. She just grinned and got on with the lesson.

She was an early reader and in ps did not do phonics after they realized that she could read. We started hs in the middle of 2nd and she could memorize and pass a spelling test each week, but in all of her other work she was a very inconsistent and misspelled even easy words. I actually see her stop and think about how to spell a word now.:)

Thanks.

Amy C.

Amy,

I plan to use Megawords as a follow up and reinforcement tool after AAS, but I won't skip the upper levels. One of the gals who use both said that they have a very similar scope and sequence, so you are basically going back to level 1 rules but working with longer words. I just wouldn't want to miss out on the meat of AAS when you are so close to finishing the program.

My oldest is loving AAS 5, by the way. She doesn't use the tiles, I do use them for demonstration purposes though. In fact I learned something new today. I didn't know why we double ss at the end of words like princess so they don't look like plurals. A very simple extension of the ff, ll, ss rule that I had missed before. :D

Heather

hoping to not seem like a hijacker here, b/c i'm listening in to the answers as much as the OP is.

nevertheless i'm wanting to glean from experienced AAS moms (who seem to be gathering to respond here ;) ....

i have a curiosity: is megawords an extension of ETC? and also, would you consider pairing ETC upper levels along with AAS to be overkill? DS is on book 7 and we're planning to start AAS2 with him in january, at which point he'll only have book 8 remaining in the ETC series.

FWIW: my intention is to complete all levels of the AAS, provided it is a good fit for our family as a general approach to spelling, just like the PP said that you wouldn't want to be so close to the end and miss out ... of course, you're wise to consider whether the final levels are of real value to your child.

:bigear: