Menu

Can you tell me about the writing in TOG?

TKDmom

Specifically how does it compare to the types of writing in TWTM? Do you feel like it is incremental enough, and actually teaches writing? Or does it seem to throw assignments at you with no real instruction on how to write? Do you feel like the writing assignments are developmentally appropriate?

The writing assignments in our general weekly lesson plans are laid out at grade specific levels, and I feel satisfied that they are compatible with TWTM or any other classical education program. It all depends on the teacher and how closely the lessons are followed. In our situation, I also add R&S English for the grammar, (although on occassion I add the writing assignments, despite the fact that we are using TOG writing....It just depends on the given week.) With TOG/WA, and R&S, I also add SP and VFCR to make a complete LA program.

In TOG, we are given the assignments per se, but in order to have detailed teaching information for whatever writing genre or assignment that is listed, a person needs to also have a copy of Writing Aids. WA's is a companion piece to the TOG program, and it is purchased one time and used for all grades K-12. WA's comes with detailed information on how to teach each type of assignment, and it gives specific instructions for the given levels (LG, UG, D & R). I find it to be very thorough and user friendly. It even has grading rubrics that are quite helpful, samples of student writing assignments, pre-writing graphics, etc.

All in all, I really love TOG's writing assignments and plan to use them long term for my dd's education.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Specifically how does it compare to the types of writing in TWTM? Do you feel like it is incremental enough, and actually teaches writing? Or does it seem to throw assignments at you with no real instruction on how to write? Do you feel like the writing assignments are developmentally appropriate?

Incremental enough, yes.

Teaches writing? Depends on the child. It tends to run in the same path as traditional writing, so while it will tell the child they need an opening sentence, three supporting sentences and a closing sentence to make a paragraph, you can still end up with the deer in the headlights look. I was using it alongside CW for a while to teach paragraphs to a 4th grade student, and I was using level 2.

Developmentally appropriate? Not like WWE. I think it is better, more gentle than many traditional writing programs. They do encourage narration and dictation and often schedule them at the beginning, but then they basically tell you to keep doing them and give you no prompts. Here that translates to it doesn't get done. :001_huh: Personally I prefer how WWE focuses on retelling through grade 4 rather than writing original writing. I think it is difficult for a lot of children to come up with original content in 2nd/3rd grade. Then the project for the 2nd half of the year (TOG generally introduces new skills the first half of the year, then practices them the 2nd half) was writing a play. I (not TOG) broke it into really small pieces: Day 1 choose your favorite character from this year, Day 2 choose one event from their life Day 3: where does this event take place, Day 4 who was involved in this event. She got stuck on day 2 and had a melt down and we dropped it. ;)

I still plan to use more of the TOG writing down the road. My dd will start working with the 5 paragraph essay in CW this year, so I imagine as we move forward I will start adding in some of the TOG writing assignments, or using them as topics for her CW writing. Good topic ideas, but I prefer WTM/CW writing instruction.

Heather

This is from someone w/ NO actual experience except reading through WA extensively. I am going to use SWB writing methods through 4th grade. I may use a TOG assignment on occasion but mostly we plan to just narrate as far as writing in history goes. From 5th on I really like TOG suggested writing assignments. I have randomly picked assignments then looked at WA for how to teach. I have felt confident that I could teach and grade the assignments - WA is a must (IMO) to teach the TOG writing.

Thanks everyone, for your responses. It sounds like it would be perfect for my dd, who would be in 5th next year and needs more writing. I'd probably have to hold off on it for my ds who's allergic to pencils. :tongue_smilie:

I'm having a hard time with my decision to wait until March to buy TOG. I keep filling up my shopping cart, and then remembering that I have to wait to buy anything. :lol: