Menu

When flying internationally

when can you call your wife to let her know you arrived?

According to every online hing I checked, dh's flight has safely arrived in DC from Germany. But he hasn't called yet. Or texted or emailed. This is very unlike him. As soon as they say you can turn on your cell phone, his is on and he's letting me know.

Is it a going through customs thing? I just want to hear from him!

Did he check to see that his provider had service from his destination? That could be one problem out of his control if it doesn't allow calls back to the states. Customs doesn't prohibit calls or at least they didn't. Maybe there is added security at present though. Try to relax - I am sure he will reach you soon.

Mary

We were told not to use our phones when we went thru Passport Control in Arizona. I don't remember the signage when we were in the UK because we didn't have phones we could use.

It can be a slow process depending on whether there were any security concerns in that country, how much time was spent taxiing to the gate, etc.

One word...CUSTOMS. I went through this just this past Friday. My dh always calls me - sometimes even as he is walking back to the gate from the plane. This friday, his flight landed at O'hare from Shanghai and it was almost an hour before he called. I was worried sick...but it was just customs. They can't use their phones until they are through customs and dh then decided to get to the other side of the airport for his connecting flight before calling me.

International travel sucks, doesn't it!?

when can you call your wife to let her know you arrived?

According to every online hing I checked, dh's flight has safely arrived in DC from Germany. But he hasn't called yet. Or texted or emailed. This is very unlike him. As soon as they say you can turn on your cell phone, his is on and he's letting me know.

Is it a going through customs thing? I just want to hear from him!

He is coming FROM Germany and landed IN DC, right? Just checking, I wasn't sure after some of the other posts.

would guess it could be a hold up in customs (even if they allow phone use in customs it isn't always easy to get your phone out) or a dead phone. My dh has killed his phone before and had to wait until he was able to plug it in and call me.

Shoot! I just realized from Mrs Mungo's post that I was thinking the wrong direction! It took DH HOURS to call me when he landed in DC from Germany - dead cell phone that needed to be charged in addition to needing to check into his hotel room, take a shower, eat a meal, and decompress.

DC Customs can take a lifetime. I get questioned there more than Chicago or NY (just my experience). And I think but am not positive that you're not allowed to use your cell until you pass through passport control and customs. It always takes us at least an hour or two when we fly into Dulles from overseas. We don't call family until we're on the other side and it's usually two hours or more after we've landed.

And as other posters have commented - usually we have to charge the cell phone just to make the call.

I'm sure he'll call as soon as he can. :)

It was the dead cell phone problem. He just called. It was get through customs and then to the next gate to plug his cell in before he could call me.

Which actually from what several of you said, he was quick. His flight landed at 3:15ish and he called at 4:30ish.

He did have service in Germany and India. He called me every day from those places. Which is probably why it was freaky that he hadn't called at all yet.

Only 2 more hours till he's home!

Seconding the thought that perhaps his phone does not have service. Many times when my dh travels internationally his phone service doesn't work--even though he expected it to.

:iagree: In the UK or Europe, hubby would have to rent a cell phone to make an international call back home -- as his SIM card did not do this. That was a few years ago. When he was in rural India for a month -- it was impossible to call at all on a daily basis. But I'm also thinking customs alone would take a LOOOONG time. One trip to Israel for hubby and he was detained for hours and interrogated... LOL... that one was an eyeopener for him. ;) My rule when hubby travels overseas is don't expect a phone call right away. Let him do what he has to do and then (maybe) at the end of the day he will be able to call you and touch base -- sometimes this is impossible with meetings and long business deals. (???)