Menu

Biology and Spanish help please!

Biology - I'd like this to be ALL spelled out. I want to be able to buy everything from the same place - experiment stuff, lesson plans, microscope, textbook, tests, answer key - everything. Also, I want evolution taught. We've used mostly curriculum from the other angle until now (just because it seems to be all that's out there, not because I'm convinced either way) and I want evolution specifically spelled out so that he knows it. Would Apologia work for this if I did a separate evolution study? (Again, not what I want to do, but it's so easy to put together!!) It didn't look like the human body was covered in Apologia - is this true? Is it a problem?

Spanish - Again. I want something simple for me! Something computer based would be wonderful, but not necessary. I used to be fluent (and I feel pretty comfortable teaching my son), but having it on the computer would allow my son to hear the language the way it's supposed to be spoken.

Thanks again for your help!

I have used Apologia twice now, last time with Virtual Homeschool Group (free online class taught by a science oriented homeschool mom). Anatomy is a separate course, their advanced biology second year course. You could get another text for the evolution and replace Apologia's chapters with that if you wish. I was VERY happy with VHSG, it helped so much to have a teacher! You still do the grading with her spreadsheet for reference, so if you skip a few chapters, it won't hurt the grade. Website: virtualhomeschoolgroup.com

I just got Breaking the Barrier Spanish 1 for dd. We were doing a homemade course, but dd wanted open and run. It also has an audio component (CDs) that she can use her old Walkman to listen to. The author is accessible over email which helps a lot. She is still in mostly familiar material because we are starting at the beginning. So far, so good. Website is: tobreak.com

I used Holt Biology with the Oak Meadow syllabus and teacher guide. OM schedules the entire book. You don't skip anything. There are over 40 chapters, so there are two chapters scheduled some weeks. I just had my dd spend two weeks on the lessons that covered two chapters, so Biology spilled over into the summer for a few weeks. They sell a kit to do experiments. I wasn't impressed at all with the experiments. If I had it to do all over again, I would use Labpaq for the experiments.

I like Visual Link Spanish. I don't need to help my dd at all. She's able to do it completely independently and is actually learning.

Love it! Dd does this independently. Senora Klopp returns assignments and tests with feedback quickly. She also spends half an hour on the phone with dd every week. The program has some neat features that OSU German does not have, mostly involving oral assignments. For the tutoring sessions alone, I think it's a bargain.