Menu

Talk to me of moving to Wisconsin, please?

We are seriously considering a move to Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it would be all on our own instead of a company transfer so we are just winging it.

DH has a 23 year career in steel fab and is currently a machinist running a laser. I am a jack of all trades, master of none! I feel confident that I could find work but fitting DH into the employment scene is a little different. He has a solid resume, excellent references, but specific experience which coincides with a lot of other manufacturing workers so I am a little concerned about the competition for his possible jobs.

How is the job market and economy in WI these days, from a local perspective? I have been doing a lot of reading but first-hand experience is good too. I find many jobs online that he's qualified for and since we don't have a specific area pinned down we have flexibility. We've also looked at IA and MI, maybe MN also. Green Bay and Dubuque are two places that keep cropping up.

We've always lived in the same place and the idea of moving to another state is intimidating, and exciting. Will prospective employers see his current residence is in another state and pass over his resume? He can be where he needs to be for interviews but obviously we still live here. Chances of selling our current house are poor to fair, renting it is a possibility.

We're aware of the property taxes and cold winters in the area, not a problem. We currently live in Montana so we're familiar with the theme! Cost of living is very high where we live and DH has no other job options here. We want a small farm-we have one now but want the type of small farms we can find in WI.

Just throwing it out there-it's on my mind a lot and thought someone might have some info for us! thanks!

As a lifelong Michiganian, I have to warn you to stay out. Our economy is in the toilet and a lot of my family is really struggling. DH is a physician and since sick people are kind of stuck here, we're ok. But we're supporting several family members who aren't. :(

Houses are dirt cheap right now but don't come unless you've got enough to pay cash or know that your work is secure for a good long while.

I hope someday we get better but it is depressing to drive around northern Michigan which is doing far better than eastern and even southern Michigan and see the empty restaurants and stores. We are not a great state for businesses right now.

I have a good friend in Madison and she has seen signs of a depressed economy but nowhere near as difficult as what we've had to deal with.

I can't tell you what the job situation is like. Manufacturing took a big hit (and everything that supports it), but many of the other sectors are fine.

One plus is that the cost of living, especially outside of the southern WI (Milwaukee, Janesville, Madison) is very reasonable. We live in central WI and even before the downturn housing was 'cheap.' The same house we live costs double in IL...and I'm being conservative with that figure. Closer to Chicago it would be 3x. When we moved here we could easily get by on one salary in the mid-40s. (However, this can mean that salaries are lower as well.)

Green Bay is a wonderful area. I haven't tried to get a job there or buy a home, but it is not far from either the suburban shopping of Appleton/Oshkosh area or the wild beauty of northern WI.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate any and all information!

We are just about out of options where we live now. There are no other jobs for DH and it's so expensive here... I am just amazed at how many options there are for us in WI even in the current economic environment!

It is beautiful...we're very hopeful but it's nerve-wracking!

Definitely we won't go anywhere without a job lined up! :iagree: I know it's a tough situation. But there are actually many jobs that he is qualified for; I have to assume though that there will be a lot of competition for them. He is highly qualified so I think he has as good of a chance as anyone. I hope, anyway!

Well..my husband is a machinist turned Tool & Die/Moldmaker, and we live in Wisconsin. A lot of job shops have taken a huge hit, and have even closed. So far, the ones that made it are still squeaking by, but there are a LOT of machinists/moldmakers that lost their jobs in the hit. I would estimate that your best opportunites are going to be around Milwaukee and Green Bay, but those would be chancy too. Lay-off's are always looming.

I would need to know more of what your husband is skilled at to be able to tell you what the market is.

As always... a solid work ethic and ability to work wonky hours is a plus.

ETA: If you or your husband wanted to PM me, I could have my dh read it and respond. He can give you a really good idea of what to expect here.

Thank you, Mallorie, I will do that this evening! I need to go over the resume with him-most of it is Greek to me!

DH has done all phases of welding, press brake operator, punch and is currently running a high performance CNC Amada laser and is pretty good at it, according to the Amada rep that services the machine. He's had the same job for 23 years having worked his way up through the same successful company... so he's got some experience under his belt. But I know he's just one of many, one of many.

Another Wisconsinite here (Madison area). Jansville Beloit area are hurting big time with loss of the GM plant there. Last I heard unemployment is around 15% in that area. Milwaukee area in general I'm always a bit skeptical about because even in good times, unemployment is high. And with Harley Davidson not in the best shape that could increase issues there. I'm sure there are other manufacturing companies there but that's one I've heard of in the news.

Overall Madison is okay. My husband does IT work for a manufacturing plant. They were hit pretty hard about a year ago but they've held on where alot of other companies in this field went under and they were able to scoop up extra business. One of there lines is now running 24/7 and they aren't sure how to keep up with orders for that machine (although not all of their lines are that busy). Since Madison is more white collar than blue collar jobs, I think that's why it's fairing better. I do know construction workers have taken a huge hit and state employers have been furlowed. There are more houses for sale on our street than I've ever seen before. I think unemployment here is about 9% if I'm remembering correctly.

I can't really speak to stuff in the Northern half because that doesn't usually get reported much in our paper so I can't fill you in on Green Bay other than I know the lakes are very pretty and it's not very far from Door County which is one of my most favorite places to visit.

We live in the Janesville/Beloit WI area and I can confirm what the other poster said. Alot of jobs here have closed and lots of people working for the GM plant now are jobless. My bf currently commutes to the next county to work, but it's going ok for us. On the upside, housing is cheap right now.

I live in MN fairly close to the WI border. Both my parents are from WI, so I've spent lots of time there too. I love it here! Great place to homeschool and very family friendly. Lots of outdoor beauty. We're in the twin cities, MN and there are so many cultural resources I'm overwhelmed trying to pick field trips.

Door County is fabulous if you're looking at Green Bay area. Madison is a nice area too, and homeschool friendly.

I don't know anything about your particular job market, but we're a big fan of living here! Best of luck! :001_smile:

I live in WI. Have for almost 20 years now. Homeschooling is easy, very relaxed laws. Property taxes are through the roof. In fact, our taxes are the same as our mortgage. People are friendly, jobs aren't too bad. My husband works for Kimberly Clark so he is quite stable there. Groceries are relatively cheap compared to the west. We visit annually in CO as that is where we are from and definitely cost of living is higher in CO. Except of course for the taxes. Yes, it's cold in winter, and hot and sticky in summer. Lots of lakes and rivers if you like water sports. Lots of trails for snow mobilers. (spelling) Hunting is good. Um, I think I hit most everything. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thank you everyone, so much! It helps so much to "talk" and hear from real people instead of reading internet information!

We may end up having to wait a few years-I keep seeing my dream farm for sale on realtor.com and I get impatient. We will keep our eyes open and see how the economy behaves and make a reasonable decision. But I sure love WI, it is just lodged in my head.