Menu

Is there a teacher's book available (or needed?)for Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics

I have an Instructor's Manual and Test Bank, but it's for a much older edition (we skip the atomic stuff - too much has changed). I don't usually use it to go through the book, Review Questions or Problems, but the tests are multiple choice and having the answers is nice.

If you make up your own tests, you wouldn't need it.

Hi Jean,

I am going to use Conceptual Physics, ninth edition(ISBN 0-321-05202-1) by Paul Hewitt next year with my dd. My older children used the textbook at their public school so I assumed it was a high school book. I do not have the TE but I do have the Practicing Physics softcover book (ISBN 0-321-05153-X) that has the odd-numbered answers of the textbook and all of the answers for the practice pages in the softcover book along with sample tests. I feel that I can teach this course well with just these two books.

I am also going to use The Teaching Company's Physics in Your Life and the free Hewitt videos mentioned by another poster on the boards.

http://w3.shorecrest.org/~Lisa_Peck/Physics/syllabus/syllabus.html

Edited by ccm

Using Conceptual Physics (high school edition) this year, and have both the student and teacher textbooks. Frankly, we haven't used the TM once. I did flip through it just to see what was in it before we started our school year, but between the student text and various physics kits for experiments, we've had plenty to keep us busy, and haven't needed the TM.

We have done some of the practice problems in that softcover Practice Problems book mentioned by the previous poster.

We also have the softcover Lab Manual, but have finally given up on it -- the majority of the experiments require expensive classroom equipment we don't have, and the few we've attempted didn't really work very well. So unless you plan on investing in classroom equipment, as long as you cover your experiments in some other way, you can probably pass on the Lab Manual.

Warmly, Lori D. 

I have this student book (2005) $14 at the low end.

And most of the questions at the end of the chapter are still the same in this teacher's edition (1997) that we have. (It says 97 but my book which has that ISBN and a slightly different cover is actually 1992). It runs between $10 and $25.

There are a few chapter changes, more order than anything...vectors ch 6 in the old one is Projectile Motion ch 3 in the newer book. Almost all the others are the same or with just vocab changes..There are a few additions in the chapters on atomic and nuclear physics. Even in the questions of the last ch on Nuclear Fission and Fusion, out of 35 questions in the newer book only 4 were not in the old book (plus one with slightly different wording)... I cannot claim to be a physics major and do not personally know the answers to all the questions, but it seems like you could save a lot of money by looking up the questions that don't have the answers in the older book on the internet.

If you get the old TE, don't be surprised when you look at the first table of contents in the teacher's section..it looks a lot different for some reason. But go back a few pages to the student book part of the TE and you will see a TC that closely resembles the newer book.

I would recommend the 2005 book for the student as it has more diagrams and much more color. But for the price of the older teacher's book, what you get is pretty good.

HTH,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Using Conceptual Physics (high school edition) this year, and have both the student and teacher textbooks. Frankly, we haven't used the TM once. I did flip through it just to see what was in it before we started our school year, but between the student text and various physics kits for experiments, we've had plenty to keep us busy, and haven't needed the TM.

We have done some of the practice problems in that softcover Practice Problems book mentioned by the previous poster.

We also have the softcover Lab Manual, but have finally given up on it -- the majority of the experiments require expensive classroom equipment we don't have, and the few we've attempted didn't really work very well. So unless you plan on investing in classroom equipment, as long as you cover your experiments in some other way, you can probably pass on the Lab Manual.

Also, if you would like my list of kits and which experiments match up with which chapter, email me, and I'll send that to you. I have that a list for each of Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Chemistry. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D. = neferlla AT hotmail DOT com

Sent you an email. Thanks.

Also, if you would like my list of kits and which experiments match up with which chapter, email me, and I'll send that to you. I have that a list for each of Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Chemistry. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D. = neferlla AT hotmail DOT com

Lori,

Could I also get a copy of your lists? We are thinking of doing Conceptual Physics at our co-op and it would be awesome to have the list. I have the Lab manual but I don't think we can afford all that equipment.

Thanks!

Frankly, we haven't used the TM once. I did flip through it just to see what was in it before we started our school year, but between the student text and various physics kits for experiments, we've had plenty to keep us busy, and haven't needed the TM.

I didn't have enough time to read the text carefully enough to know all the answers to the review and thinking questions at the end of the chapter. The TE is quite handy for that - even the older versions I mentioned above....Do you read everything as well, to know it all yourself, I mean?

Joan

I didn't have enough time to read the text carefully enough to know all the answers to the review and thinking questions at the end of the chapter. The TE is quite handy for that - even the older versions I mentioned above....Do you read everything as well, to know it all yourself, I mean?

Joan

I read some of the text, skim other parts, and quiz DS orally. I have him do a lot of hands-on, and then some of the review and thinking questions as a quiz at the end of the chapter, but don't always take the time to grade them. :blush: I am not the best at paperwork, grading, and the admin. side of homeschooling...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the 9th ed college book and using the answers to the odd questions from the Practicing Physics workbook. I also love the Physics in Your Life dvds from the teaching company.

You might also be interested in some of the material available for free on the arbor scientific website. It has all of Paul Hewitt's Next Time Questions which are a great supplement. It also has free supplemental labs written by Paul Hewitt. I'm loving the labs at this time.