Menu

Did you get a lot of ToT'ers?

We had about 150. Parents drive their kids to my street and wait in their cars for them to walk my street. We are one of the few streets in town with sidewalks. I don't mind all the kids. However, I did mind the adults that were dressed up looking for a candy hand-out. I am "hoping" they were trick or treating for a sick child.

Not many. The doorbell rang less than 10 times. Several of the groups were teens, but there were a couple of cute preschoolers. Tons of houses in our neighborhood don't pass out candy (all the lights are off! :lol:), so that could have something to do with the low numbers for us. Even so, dd scored well at the houses that did have lights on. Her bucket quickly became full and heavy. This was her first year to t or t with neighbors, so that part was more fun than getting all of the candy.

DS and I had stuffed 200+ little goodie bags... those were gone within the first hour. Yikes.

Then we handed out lollipops, one at at time - and when they were gone, we turned off the lights.

We had hordes of kids this year, it was unbelievable. Lots of teens too.

We had 2 groups while we were at home and the bowl we left while we were out didn't look significantly emptier when we got back. It was our first year so we didn't know what to expect. One of the houses that we stopped at said that we were the first ToT'ers she'd had in years. So I guess our neighborhood isn't that popular a place for ToT.

The police barricade our street and walk foot patrols, and tell everyone to come here to safely trick or treat. We had 1200 according to those who count. I'm not a fan of this.

Two blocks over from where I live can get that many in good year. We get about half their amount. We don't have police barricades, and with all the cars, I wish they would. I saw some near accidents last night. You couldn't pay me to take my car out on Halloween! They don't tell everyone to come here. Everyone knows our neighborhood has always been the neighborhood. Nicest neighborhood in town with sidewalks wins.

Well, we had quite a few for our neighborhood/country. I think every kid in our neighborhood came to our house.

I made 34 goody bags of candy/halloween toys, then had a stash of "extra" candy as well. The kids trickled past all night, with most being in about a 1.5 hour time span. The next to last were late, and took the very last goody bags I had. Then, 30 minutes later (it was almost 10 by this point!) I got one last pair (we had turned off the porch light.....). I dug out some skittles I had been saving for a friend, a few of the leftover halloween pencils, apologized, they graciously accepted, and all was well.

So, I guess I got about 36 kids? I dished out the "extra" candy quite liberally all through the night, as I didn't want leftovers, and there aren't many houses in our neighborhood that pass out candy. Halloween is not officially celebrated in Brazil, that's why the low numbers.

Next year I'll plan on 50 bags, as well as back-up stash.

We got trick-or-treated for the first time in 13 years. It was a coupld of DD16's friends whom she told about never having anyone come to the house (we live on a dark side road).

They got 2 boxes of raisins and a poptart because I hadn't bought any candy.

On the other hand, DD9 went to the Awana's Trick or Trunk and had a great time, then stopped and went TnT-ing on the way home. She came home with a respectable haul and the teenagers converged on the remains. Very little candy left over this morning.

post-525-13535084126742_thumb.jpg

Like Annie, the police have to help us. We live near enough to Detroit, that the kids get dropped off in droves. After hours, the police come and ask people to leave.

See the picture? That is my house. It was like that for the 1.5 hours we still had candy.

I don't mind providing a safe place for the kids who don't have one to ToT in. But, it gets ridiculous when the moms also have bags for candy!

We haven't had anyone for 2 years now. We used to get a family of 3 kids with really nice costumes. There was a big brother taking his little sister and medium sized sister around. He always seemed like such a nice big brother. I usually buy one small bag of candy that my kids would enjoy, just to have something in case the doorbell rings.

Last year, I had to ration the candy and ran out early. So this year, I bought a huge bag at Costco. Only gave out half of it, and I was generous! I did see a lot of new families, though.

My 14yo son was trick-or-treating with a small group of his friends (all in costume). They had a blast!

Wendi

No, if we get any they are kids from the neighborhood. there are two neighborhoods in our town that are popular ToT spots. It's always been that way even when I was a kid. Also so may of the churches and other organizations have Trunk or Treats or parties that door to door ToT isn't as big here as it once was. yesterday was cold and windy so ToT in big parking lots with hot chocolate and a warm building was much more inviting.

[ATTACH]3759[/ATTACH]

Like Annie, the police have to help us. We live near enough to Detroit, that the kids get dropped off in droves. After hours, the police come and ask people to leave.

See the picture? That is my house. It was like that for the 1.5 hours we still had candy.

I don't mind providing a safe place for the kids who don't have one to ToT in. But, it gets ridiculous when the moms also have bags for candy!

:iagree: My experience was much like this. We live in a nicer area in a much-impoverished city. The streets were bumper-to-bumper traffic, and entirely lined with parked cars as well. I try to be understanding, but trick-or-treating adults do bother me, as do those yelling at their exhausted children.

We had two teens in costume walk up our driveway. They were walking up the street when we pulled into the drive. As we were getting out of our car they started coming up our driveway. :confused: :001_huh: I looked at the kid and told him we didn't have anything and that we don't celebrate Halloween. He seemed pretty bummed as he walked away with shoulders slumped. But seriously, even if we did celebrate I am not going to be handing out candy as I am quite obviously just getting home and have four children piling out of my car.

No one else came to our door. Which is just how I wanted it. There are a couple families nearby but the neighborhood is mostly retired folks.

[ATTACH]3759[/ATTACH]

I'd feel differently if I was providing a safe place for trick or treaters who live in rough neighborhoods. But I live in a town of 25,000 so that's not the case. And last year a church bussed their kids here from a neighboring town 25 miles away- again, a town that has no 'bad' side. It was just their idea of fun. So I had trick or treaters from ANOTHER STATE.

I'd feel differently if I was providing a safe place for trick or treaters who live in rough neighborhoods. But I live in a town of 25,000 so that's not the case. And last year a church bussed their kids here from a neighboring town 25 miles away- again, a town that has no 'bad' side. It was just their idea of fun. So I had trick or treaters from ANOTHER STATE.

Wow. If this were the case here, I don't think I'd be handing out much candy. Or, I'd try to get another day scheduled for just the neighborhood kids. When we lived in our other house (same city - just a smaller house), we arranged for the streets to be closed the night before Halloween for a celebration just for the neighbor kids. Nearly everyone opened their doors. On Halloween, the older, retired and single people just didn't want those mobs of kids at their doors and they never handed out candy. But, when they knew it was just the neighbors, they did! And, it was great to see them!!!

But, we had others in that neighborhood who were really upset with that plan. They said it was racist (because most of the people coming in from Detroit to ToT are black). Ugh. You can't win them all!!!

But, maybe that would be an option for your place next year?

We had a steady stream from 6:30 until about 8. Probably 300 or so? I still had candy, but we didn't get many after that. I turned out the lights at 9:30.

Yeah, we had some of that too. I partition my goodies. The kids get the best stuff. The grown ups get pencils and such. :D

That is crazy!

We probably had 100 or so, and probably half of them were teens.

Loud. obnoxious. teenagers.

Just my opinion, but I think teenagers are too old to be T-O-T'ing.

I also noticed several adults that were dressed up and T-O-T'ing; and some moms that only had infants. Yeah, the babies are cute in their costumes, but they don't need candy. Why not just go to the store and buy some candy if you want some that badly?

Who knows, maybe they were T-O-T'ing for another child that wasn't able to go out... :tongue_smilie:

Wow. If this were the case here, I don't think I'd be handing out much candy. Or, I'd try to get another day scheduled for just the neighborhood kids. When we lived in our other house (same city - just a smaller house), we arranged for the streets to be closed the night before Halloween for a celebration just for the neighbor kids. Nearly everyone opened their doors. On Halloween, the older, retired and single people just didn't want those mobs of kids at their doors and they never handed out candy. But, when they knew it was just the neighbors, they did! And, it was great to see them!!!

But, we had others in that neighborhood who were really upset with that plan. They said it was racist (because most of the people coming in from Detroit to ToT are black). Ugh. You can't win them all!!!

But, maybe that would be an option for your place next year?

I wish we could go back to it being more of a neighborhood thing! I think there are only 2 kids(under junior high age) who live in the 28 houses on our end of this street. Don't know how many young kids on the other end- but this neighborhood is mostly older folks. One of the 2 mentioned kids trick or treated in ANOTHER neighborhood because it was just too chaotic in ours. And she lives here! It was a crazy night, but not as bad as two years ago when teens busted into our foyer to grab the basket of candy.

I would guess between 70-100. I gave some candy to a neighbor who ran out early so I don't know for certain.

We weren't here for most of it. I put a big box of 60 bags of individual size Frito Lay chips on the porch for people to help themselves to. We were ToTing in our neighborhood for part of it so I got to watch some people taking the chips. Everyone I saw was very considerate and just took one bag.

We got a lot of nice comments from parents and bigger ToTers about the chips. :)