Menu

WTM Logic Stage Lit - Gulliver's Travels

Brenda in FL

What have you focused on with this selection? I'm reading the editor's introduction in my copy - and I realize that I really don't know how to explain or lead a discussion about why this book is on their reading list!!

I get that its satire and some of the cultural references of the time - but do my 5th and 7th graders really need to be familiar with this?

Do you have your logic stage kids read from the unabridged, or is their an adaptation that you have found to be very worthwhile to read?

I've read the Margaret Hodges and found it to be dry and boring - I've got another to read. But if they are just written to be read as novels - then doesn't that negate why we should be reading it at all?

I need a teacher's cheat sheet for discussing this with logic stage!!

So what have been your experience/thoughts?

(I have never been intrigued by this story in either book form or film - maybe that's the cause of my reluctance).

Both times, I read Swift's essay, A Modest Proposal, with them first. I think it's a better intro to satire because it's so "over the top" that even a non-subtle reader understands what the author is intending. Then we talk a bit about satire in general, and for my last seventh grader, we watched a bit of modern day satire on youtube.

Then, I assign the first two voyages. We talk a bit about the politics of the day, Swift's intentions in writing it, but it's not necessary to understand all the intricacies of eighteenth century british politics to get that he was satirizing the endless, seemingly pointless conflicts of the day with the egg-end controversy, and the silly self-importance of monarchs.

Both times, I read Swift's essay, A Modest Proposal, with them first. I think it's a better intro to satire because it's so "over the top" that even a non-subtle reader understands what the author is intending. Then we talk a bit about satire in general, and for my last seventh grader, we watched a bit of modern day satire on youtube.

Then, I assign the first two voyages. We talk a bit about the politics of the day, Swift's intentions in writing it, but it's not necessary to understand all the intricacies of eighteenth century british politics to get that he was satirizing the endless, seemingly pointless conflicts of the day with the egg-end controversy, and the silly self-importance of monarchs.

Thanks! Did they read from an unadapted/unabridged version? Would you change the reading assignment for a 5th grader?

Anyone else care to comment, please??

What have you focused on with this selection? I'm reading the editor's introduction in my copy - and I realize that I really don't know how to explain or lead a discussion about why this book is on their reading list!!

I get that its satire and some of the cultural references of the time - but do my 5th and 7th graders really need to be familiar with this?

Do you have your logic stage kids read from the unabridged, or is their an adaptation that you have found to be very worthwhile to read?

I've read the Margaret Hodges and found it to be dry and boring - I've got another to read. But if they are just written to be read as novels - then doesn't that negate why we should be reading it at all?

I need a teacher's cheat sheet for discussing this with logic stage!!

So what have been your experience/thoughts?

(I have never been intrigued by this story in either book form or film - maybe that's the cause of my reluctance).

My younger kids have all loved Ted Danson's Gulliver's Travels. It is a great introduction to the story.

We used TOG and they did a great job of teaching the political times associated with the book. My son, Mr. Humanities ;) loved it. He was in 7th grade. Perhaps getting your own unabridged Norton's version would be helpful. They always have such wonderful explanations.

Yes - I was thinking TOG probably had a great explanation - too bad I'm a TOG drop out!! Maybe next go around . . .

I don't think my library has a norton's edition!!