Menu

Math conundrum

Guest manorew

Guest manorew

My cousin's 10 year old son has declared that he HATES math. He used to love math, but now hates it even though he's quite gifted in math. She is currently using LOF fractions and Singapore 5B. He's a sensory seeker. Any ideas as to how to make math fun while also being challenging and providing strong fundamentals?

Edited by manorew

My cousin's 10 year old son has declared that he HATES math. He used to love math, but now hates it even though he's quite gifted in math. She is currently using LOF fractions and Singapore 5B. He's a sensory seeker. Any ideas as to how to make math fun while also being challenging and providing strong fundamentals?

Is he being pushed too fast, or drilled too much?

My son is mathy, but he likes being about to immediately know what to do, and any serious, methodical thought bums him out. He is used to being about to just "do" it. Two step story problems really took the wind out his sails, because he had an image of himself as "good" at math. Could this boy feel he is "quite gifted" in math and wants to take his bat and ball and go home, now that there is work involved?