Menu

Sad, after Trick or Treating

We had a lot of fun, and then I read their little Halloween books to them, they watched all of the Halloween shows on Noggin, but then I got really sad. They are almost 7, and almost 9. Yes, they'll continue to go Trick or Treating, but...sniff, sniff....It's not going to be the same anymore.

They're growing up. How and when did this happen??:sad::sad: (BTW, there needs to be a crying smilie on here)

I love the people they are becoming, but sitting here, now-I just want to cry. No more babies.:sad::sad:

there is a crying one. Here it is: :crying:

I was sad tonight, too. I was a legalistic Christian and my boys never got to go. I've only taken both dd's once, dd10 alone tonight. I've gone twice. I wish I had done more with Halloween as we all truly do love it now that I allow it.

I was also sad tonight thinking about my oldest, reminiscing on all the great times we've had, and how little I see him now. He's in college, working, and in a serious relationship. I miss him. He's such a GREAT kid.:crying::crying::crying:

You've got time still. Make the most of it. :001_smile:

Same here. I mean, I don't really consider it legalism -- just that our conviction changed. I don't see Halloween as being associated with anything bad any more.

But, our oldest only went a few times before we stopped doing it all together. Tonight was the first time for our 9 and 11 year olds.

I was a legalistic Christian and my boys never got to go. I've only taken both dd's once, dd10 alone tonight. I've gone twice. I wish I had done more with Halloween as we all truly do love it now that I allow it.

Same here. I mean, I don't really consider it legalism -- just that our conviction changed. I don't see Halloween as being associated with anything bad any more.

But, our oldest only went a few times before we stopped doing it all together. Tonight was the first time for our 9 and 11 year olds.

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't mean to imply that Christians who don't partake in Halloween are being legalistic, but *I* was. I was legalistic about a LOT of things....... back in the day. Glad that's over.

And glad you all had fun. CUTE pics!!!

My youngest is 5 and I cried last night at a community Monsters on Main Street TorTing. I kept saying to my hubby that I'm just sad they're not babies anymore. They're great kids but wow.....where did the time go? It's been a blink.

((hugs)) from another crying mama

I felt the same way today. Usually, Halloween means last minute costumes and pizza on the way out the door to ToTing. IT is usually total chaos and a crazy, busy day.

Well, DD11 stayed Sat. night at a friend's house. She had her costume set so she could wear it to school on Friday.

DS16 is on the clean up crew at church. He also stayed Sat night with a friend.

DD4 was sick on Saturday night, up puking til 5am. :(

Sooo, my usually crazy busy day....was sleeping in and cleaning house.

Just to encourage you, my oldest is 13 and spent all day yesterday (all weekend, really) creating an in-house scavenger hunt for his younger brothers (and us, LOL). The staircase turned into a "waterfall" of slime, there are paper ghosts, and paper pumpkins and paper candied apples and I don't even know what all else. The time and thought he put into making Halloween a truly enjoyable experience for the little ones ("little" being almost 10, and 5.5) blew me away.

We live in Brazil, and Halloween is not celebrated in a huge way. We did get ToT'ers, and my middle son did go out ToTing with some friends, but the big celebration for my boys was the scavenger hunt big brother made.

All that to say - sometimes they grow up and still hang on to the magic of childhood a little while. Be encouraged it isn't necessarily over. They might just surprise you. :hug:

Guest TheBugsMom
there is a crying one. Here it is: :crying:

I was sad tonight, too. I was a legalistic Christian and my boys never got to go. I've only taken both dd's once, dd10 alone tonight. I've gone twice. I wish I had done more with Halloween as we all truly do love it now that I allow it.

I was also sad tonight thinking about my oldest, reminiscing on all the great times we've had, and how little I see him now. He's in college, working, and in a serious relationship. I miss him. He's such a GREAT kid.:crying::crying::crying:

You've got time still. Make the most of it. :001_smile:

I'm another mom with a touch of sadness. I have great memories of Halloween. Making my own costumes, my dad dressing up, going out and then having fun looking at all the candy. It was a big thing. Then my dad got real legalistic as a Christian and Halloween was forbidden and it carried over into my childrens lives.

We have changed a great deal since my older boys were little and enjoy several things that were taboo (in the eyes of my dad) now. My dd had great fun last week reading Halloween books, coloring pics and making Halloween crafts. She even decorated the tangerines I bought with jack o lantern faces and placed them throughout the house. She was having a great time. The sad part is one of my boys made a comment about why they never got to do Halloween when they were little, it looks so fun. It made me feel bad for them knowing dd will have lots of great memories from this time and the boys have none.

:lol: Mine aren't going to do that. I'm going to ask them not to! Silly Remudamom.

Me too! We live on a few acres that were split off from my parents property, and it's my plan to have a little "compound" here. Both my dc can build houses when they get married, and we'll all live here. Doesn't that sound like a great plan?? (I am semi-serious:D)

Me too! We live on a few acres that were split off from my parents property, and it's my plan to have a little "compound" here. Both my dc can build houses when they get married, and we'll all live here. Doesn't that sound like a great plan?? (I am semi-serious:D)

Perfect! Just don't tell them about the plan! :lol: