Menu

Books for advanced 8-year old girl.

Hunter's Moon

Ditto Ballet Shoes. My DD, age 8, loved it. She also is liking Understood Betsy (we're reading this aloud currently). She liked The Little Princess, The Secret Garden, The Wizard of Oz, the Betsy-Tacy books, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Caddie Woodlawn, and the Ramona books.

The boarding school books by Enid Blyton. Mallory Towers, and the St. Claire's series. Great book for a girl. The Anne and Emily books. Christy, Jane Eyre. Not about ballet, but those are what I was reading and I was/am a book worm. Oh, and Dragon song, Dragon Singer, and Dragon Drums by Anne McCaffery. They are sci/fi fantasy and that is not a genre I usually like, but I was introduced to those by our librarian when I was starting 4th grade. She was trying to find something that would interest/ challenge me while still be age appropriate. I loved this trilogy.

Nicole

My dd loved the Little House series when she was 8. There's also another series that continues the story with Laura's daughter Rose. The first of that series is Little House on the Rocky Ridge by Roger Lea MacBride.

As far as Anne McCaffery goes, I have not read that particular trilogy, but I have read other books by her. You need to be careful with her books, as several of them contain elements that are not appropriate for children.

How about The Saturdays (and sequels). No ballet that I remember, but a memorable trip to the opera. It's by Elizabeth Enright.

I love The Little White Horse, by Elizabeth Goudge, but the reading level might be a bit higher. No ballet, but a charming, magical story nonetheless.

I think one of the children in The Treasure Seekers ( E. Nesbit) likes ballet, but I might be wrong. That (and sequels) is a good read too.

Laura