Menu

Recommendations for warmest FL beach in Feb?

Last year the keys were cold enough that we didn't swim or any thing in Feb, but my understanding is that it was an exceptionally cold year. There aren't very many places there that have what most east coasters consider beach. It is really pretty and there is a lot to do, it just is different.

It depends upon the weather really. Last year we had a run of cold snaps. Feb has been pretty chilly though recently, our ds's bday is in Feb and it has been chilly on his bdays- not beach weather. We're partial to Sanibel/Captiva on the SW coast, Treasure Island (we're all about the shells. There are so many more shells on the Gulf side!!!). Up here on the East Coast we like our closest beach, Ponce Inlet.

Definitely catch the manatees at a local spot in February if you haven't seen them gather in the Springs before!

Since you're active duty, check where MWR has vacation rentals. We have them here. Weather is always unknown until the week before. If we have a cold front, there will be rain and then cooler weather--for us in the 60s or low 70s. Yes, last year was unusually cool, but depending on what is your threshold, it may be warm to you.

We have a lot of family in FL, so we go often. Believe me, I have been to the beach in Feb in FL. ;)

Ft Myers, Naples, Sanibel Island, Miami, the Keys should all have some beach friendly -weather (usually, although last year was quite cold all over FL). Beach- friendly meaning you will be able to enjoy sitting or walking on the beach, and as you go about your day doing fun things, you will feel the warmth of the sun on your skin. You might even feel hot. You might not be able to swim, although my children have gone in. One Feb in Ft Lauderdale, the heat was unbelievable. Locals were complaining, but I was so happy. Of course my home town is frigid in Feb, so anything above 50 and I am happy. ;)

I also remember one February in Tampa about 5 years ago when it was consistently in the mid to high 90's. That was the best FL vacation. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

Definitely go as far south as you can go. I lived in S FL most of my life - and usually waited until later in the spring to get over to the beach. But it can be nice - or it can be cold and windy!! (Last year it didn't warm up enough for me until late March/early April - but we were in Central FL). Even if the temp seems warm - the wind can make it uncomfortable. The temps really do vary along the coast - so if you go - go south!!

As far south as you can get on the gulf coast though. Ft. Myers, Sanibel, Captive, Naples. If it is a really warm winter then you could go a little farther north to Clearwater/Se. Pete or over to Tampa.

:iagree:While I've been in the water in February in North Florida, I don't recommend it. Nope, don't recommend it one bit. :D

Last year was chilly in FL, but this year is a La Nina year, which should mean warmer temps. We had a wonderful February vacation in the Ft Myers/Sanibel area one La Nina year. We lived in Ohio then, and the warmth was amazing. Now that we live in Florida, I don't mind a few chilly days when we can get them!:)