Menu

Catholic or Christian mama's.....

Mama2Many4

What do you do for Bible? I've tried Jesus our Life, my son was bored with it. I've tried Seton Catechism, my son was bored with that too. I've been reading them a story from the Children's Bible everyday, but their eyes seem to glaze over each time. Is there anything I can do to make Bible time fun? They are not retaining much at this point.:confused:

I'm subbing to get ideas.

Personally, I have not found a Catholic picture Bible with which I am comfortable.

For catechism, I just plan on following the Baltimore Catechism because that is what all the HS moms of adult Catholic kids that I know have used, I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Also, I don't particularly like it, but many people love Montessori's Catechism of the Good Shepherd.

Yes, the Children's Bible that I've been using is the really thick one that I had as a child. The words are just to involved and the kids at 7 and 5 don't have a clue what they mean. I have to stop reading every sentence to explain something. I just lose them halfway into the story.:tongue_smilie:

Yes, the Children's Bible that I've been using is the really thick one that I had as a child. The words are just to involved and the kids at 7 and 5 don't have a clue what they mean. I have to stop reading every sentence to explain something. I just lose them halfway into the story.:tongue_smilie:

The Bible I use with my kids in preschool & primary is the Catholic Book of Bible Stories from Zonderkidz. Later I use the Fr. Lovasik St. Joseph Picture Bible.

My suggestions are all based on my own experience in our Christian home, and also as a former Sunday school teacher.

This bears saying from the get-go that children will be enthused about any subject that you, as the teacher, are enthused about. Always present the material with a joy and enthusiasm that is engaging and enjoyable for their age level. Your dc are very young, so this should be a special, fun time for you.

I would recommend that Bible and a very short time of prayer and life application discussion happen every day, first thing before any other subject. This lays the groundwork for the day, and setting that routine will be important especially at this lower grammar stage. I also recommend that you include a Bible lesson or at least prayer time over the weekend as well. If you don't, they will begin to think of Bible as a school subject rather than an integral, personal part of their daily life.

The Bible story should always include pictures, so a children's Bible is perfect. (We like the DK Children's Illustrated Bible a lot.) Feel free to stop and explain things, add personal comments, use voice inflections for changing characters, etc. And if they seem bored at first, keep going anyway. They need to know that this is important and is part of their daily life. Be sure to follow the story with questions that check on their comprehension and lead to better understanding. This keeps them on their toes as you share the daily story.

When your oldest is ready for more than this, I heartily recommend the Explorer's Discovery Bible Series. I'm sure others will chime in with some additional resources that will be good too, but I have to share what's worked for us. We have used this curriculum for a few years now and my dd has enjoyed it and become very knowledgeable of the scriptures. Here is one from the series that starts at the beginning, but there are more in the series. (Please note that within the Explorer's studies, Discovery is for grades 3-6 and Quest is for older students.) Anyway, I like this series a lot because it lays out short passages for them, explains meanings and includes vocabulary words, maps and weekly review. These are consumable workbooks. Again -- I'd wait and add it to the routine for your oldest once she is in 3rd grade, yet I'd continue having the family Bible and prayer time even though you add this to her daily work.

Last of all, do they see you reading your own Bible? Do they know how important knowing the Bible is to you in your own life? This validates the importance of knowing the Bible and is one of the most critical aspects of passing on your faith.

Blessings to you as you explore ways to pour God's truth into the lives of your precious little ones.

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I use several different children's bibles with my kids. I never was 100% satisfied with any of them. I used the Beginner's Bible for when they were really young. However, the cartoons are goofy and it is Protestant so it doesn't have all the books of Bible. Later, I found a Catholic version but that set of kids were more like your kids, bored by it.

Here's some other things you can do to liven up learning about the Bible:

Wee Sing Bible songs. Lots of these songs reference Bible stories. When you are listening or singing the song take the time to retell the story to your kids. Then when you go to read it from the Bible they'll recognize the story.

Veggietales - do the same thing with these when they refer to a Bible story. Jonah, Esther, Rack, Shack and Benny!

Other children's video retellings of Bible stories.

Jim Weiss has a really nice audio of stories from the Old Testament.

A neat thing to do is to have two different Children's Bibles, read the same story and then compare. Ask the kids if they can pick up on any differences.

Magnifikids is a magazine for Catholic kids. It lists all the readings for Sunday Masses, so your child can read (or you can read to your child) the different readings from the Old and New Testaments before you go. That way they'll listen better during Mass.

:blush5: DVR'ed EWTN.....The adventures of the New Testament, The Friar or something....I read bible stories out of the yellow picture bible that CHC recommends, but I never realized how much EWTN they watch until my daughter said to me one time during the gospel at mass "Mom, mom!! I saw this story on TV!!"

Pray and ask God to place a hunger for His Word in their hearts. He answers!

Our Bible study time is simple, we read the Bible one chapter at a time.

These are the Bibles we have used:

1. The Big Picture Story Bible. (This is a summary of the message of the Bible, not organized by chapter.)

2. John MacArthur's A Faith to Grow on Bible

Both are available on Amazon.

We started reading from 1.

Now (our kids are 6 and 3) we read a Bible chapter a day from number 2.

By God's grace they want to hear more, and ask me all kinds of questions.

Best to you,

Jen

Since your oldest is 7, are you doing sacrament prep this year? If so, I'd say that combined with his regular CCE work is probably enough. I'd focus on getting him ready for First Reconciliation and First Communion because those are fast approaching.

Yes, he will be making it in May. We're doing the First Communion catechism and the Saint Joseph Catechism.

What do you do for Bible? I've tried Jesus our Life, my son was bored with it. I've tried Seton Catechism, my son was bored with that too. I've been reading them a story from the Children's Bible everyday, but their eyes seem to glaze over each time. Is there anything I can do to make Bible time fun? They are not retaining much at this point.:confused:

We use Bible Study Guide for All Ages. It is a non-denominational inductive approach.

Heather

Thank you for asking this! At the moment, I'm trying to assemble better resources, and there's already been a lot mentioned here that I'll add to my list of ideas! I, too, have heard about the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, so I particularly appreciate the link.

FWIW, right now we are memorizing one Bible verse per week (and reviewing various prayers). I've chosen the verses, though Hannah of homeschool helps has a great list that helped me jump start that.

Once per week we read a saint's story, often from Once Upon a Time Saint

Daily, we read from various picture Bibles. I also haven't found a Catholic one that I really like and really engages my girls, but I think The Rhyme Bible Storybook is really good: http://www.amazon.com/Rhyme-Bible-Storybook-Linda-Sattgast/dp/031070197X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qlEnable=1&qid=1288554322&sr=8-1-catcorr&searchContext=031070197X,0310700787,0880708298

We also have 100 Bible Stories, 100 Bible Songs, and my 4-year-old really loves the CD. It covers more than the one above though still isn't Catholic: http://www.amazon.com/100-Bible-Stories-Stephen-Elkins/dp/1591452392/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288554615&sr=1-1

In searching for a link, I noticed that there are others in the series that I might consider.

I just found a nicely illustrated book of Psalms for children, which we're also adding into the mix for now: http://www.amazon.com/Psalms-Young-Children-Marie-helen-Delval/dp/0802853226/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288554751&sr=1-1

Finally, one thing I'm trying to get started is using Catholic Mom's Sunday's Gospel section for the weekly Mass readings. It seems that she posts them in advance, so I'm hoping it will help with retention and understanding of the Gospel to have some related activities and just extra coverage of the readings. Here's the link: http://new.catholicmom.com/faith/sundays-gospel/.

HTH! :001_smile:

So many good suggestions!

I'd also check out Catholic Children's Treasure Box Books, which are sweetly old-fashioned (published in the '50s) and very appealing to young children.

Published by TAN Books, you can check them out here:

http://www.catholiccompany.com/catholic-childrens-treasure-box-c239/

They contain stories of the saints, charming little moral tales, short activity ideas, and more.

Tiffany

I read from My Big Book of Catholic Bible Stories three times a week and from Amy Welborn's Book of Saints twice a week. My kids use the Faith and Life series in Religious Ed. and we do Little Flowers and Blue Knights once a month.

We also like the Catholic Mosaic book that others mentioned and another Bible story book we like is A Family Treasury of Bible Stories.

Things we have used in the past and are using now are The big picture storybook bible by David Helm

and The Jesus storybook bible. These have been our favorites. I ask them questions and talk with them about it as we go and then we also encourage them to play out the stories that they are learning. I have found that this helps alot with my boys.

For chatecism we are using Carine MacKenzie My 1st book of questions and memory verses(two seperate books). We have also used The Gospel for Children by John B Leuzarder.

HTH

I really wanted to love the Treasure Box Books, but I glanced through one at the bookstore and wasn't too impressed. The saint was St. Therese and the story was well told with pretty illustrations. However, that was the only part of the book I liked. The activities had nothing to do with Catholicism (I can get a craft book for that) and the other stuff in there just wasn't that impressive.

For $5 a piece though, it's not completely wasted money, but it's not the sort of resource I'd use with my DD.

It's only St. Therese for the first...7 books? Maybe? Then they switch around to different stories. There are 50 of the books in the complete series.

We *love* Jeff Cavin's Great Adventure materials... http://biblestudyforcatholics.com/. My little ones are using the Great Adventure for kids, my teens are using the Teen Timeline, and my church uses the adult materials for our Bible Study group.

Here's the link specifically to the Great Adventure for Kids.

Catholic Mosaic and Magnifikid were both already mentioned by other posters, and I second those recommendations! Catholic Mosaic is a beautiful way to celebrate the liturgical year with kids.

Another helpful resource is My Catholic Faith Delivered. They provide online lessons for the Faith and Life books, among others.