Menu

What to memorize K-6

LNC

My children have memorized many poems and scriptures. They know their math facts. We downloaded Hannah Wilson's grammar stage memory work and they know most of her recommendations, except for history. http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_39/596000/596907/1/print/596907.pdf

What else would you memorize? They still need to learn their states and capitals. What else??

Anyone have a list of what they want to have memorized in the grammar stage for math, lang arts and geography?

Edited by LNC

I didn't look at the site but prepositions, pronouns, helping/ linking verbs have been invaluable here.

Divisibility rules 2-10 are helpful for fraction work.

Planets, continents, oceans, major rivers, mountain ranges.

We may look at lyrical life science at some point. http://www.amazon.com/Lyrical-Life-Science-Vol-Mammals/dp/0964636727/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288572948&sr=1-2

I am so grateful for threads like these. I can't put my finger on why, but I can't seem to get a grip on memorization this year. You're supposed to get more and more organized every year, right? Not so in this department, we did far better last year. I downloaded the memorization by Hannah Wilson which will give me some place to start from...but I have a 7th grader and am going to need more for her, maybe Lyrical Life Science will have something...please keep the suggestions coming. I am determined to have this ironed out by the end of the week. Grrr.:banghead: I know it doesn't have to be this hard, I just have a mental block on this that I can't get past.

Are ya'll just having your kids memorize lists of things (such as states and capitals, etc.)? I am new to the memorization thing and have so far just had mine do poems and a shortened version of the three witches' scene from Macbeth. Their next assignment is for Veteran's Day (a poem for DS7 and the Preamble to the Constitution for DD9). I just can't see making them memorize lists of facts. That seems so detached and... irrelevant, for lack of a better word. I will have them do states and such when we study the states. But what do you do, if not lists?

My children have memorized many poems and scriptures. They know their math facts. We downloaded Hannah Wilson's grammar stage memory work and they know most of her recommendations, except for history. http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_39/596000/596907/1/print/596907.pdf

What else would you memorize? They still need to learn their states and capitals. What else??

Anyone have a list of what they want to have memorized in the grammar stage for math, lang arts and geography?

I am horrible at incorporating memorization, but I had to thank you for posting that link. It looks wonderful!

I have finally figured out memorization this year. It came with using FLL and having kids who were finally mature enough and enjoy it. We are leaping miles ahead of the schedule in FLL and are incorporating our own poetry to memorize now.

I had my dd10 (at the time) learn the Gettysburg address by reading an illustrated children's book that contained the full speech every day over the course of several weeks.

Today when we were working on linking verbs with ds9 and dd6 they ended up making up their own song. They have lots of fun coming up with motions and acting while they recite their poems. I even have to calm them down a bit. This is the first year this has happened for us.

We really enjoy Poetry for Children, which comes with a CD that has the authors reading their own work and we like Ted Jacob's CDs "A Child's Garden of Songs" and "Oh the Days Gone By". The first one is Robert Louis Stevenson's poems and the second is poems from various authors. Both are set to music and are very well done.

I'm also :bigear:. I just love pouring knowledge into those little noggins. :001_smile:

We're pretty much working our way through Living Memory. Great, great resource! But I've just been pulling random pieces out as related to our current studies, additionally I added in presidents and capitals, which we're working on now. I have my own memory work binder, I add this work into it. It works for me, as does having my captured audience eating breakfast - this way we insure it's getting done.

I have not purchased Lyrical Life Science YET, but it's on my list!!!

We are using VP so we are memorizing the VP card facts and the song for NT Greece and Rome.

I also add significant science facts from our Apologia Anatomy into our memory work.

Doing our memory work (which we do during breakfast) I also do a quick review of our composer of the month. I want to incorporate picture study into this but for now we do picture study of our current artist via computer slideshow.

Poetry we're working on is out and displayed ... from FLL3 right now.

We are also using Lyrical Life Science this year.

Things we have memorized in the past.

Geometry terms

Vocabulary words

scriptures

states

solar systems

simple machines

irregular tenses of verbs

math facts

grammar terms

how to get somewhere

countries

oceans

order of historical events

Are ya'll just having your kids memorize lists of things (such as states and capitals, etc.)? I am new to the memorization thing and have so far just had mine do poems and a shortened version of the three witches' scene from Macbeth. Their next assignment is for Veteran's Day (a poem for DS7 and the Preamble to the Constitution for DD9). I just can't see making them memorize lists of facts. That seems so detached and... irrelevant, for lack of a better word. I will have them do states and such when we study the states. But what do you do, if not lists?

It is a facet of classical education. You can read TWTM for more info, but briefly, young students have more time and enthusiasm for memorizing, so it is helpful to get some important information knocked out when they are young. It also gets harder to memorize things as we get older. So your 12 yo will wish deserately that they had memorized their Latin conjugations at 5, when they catch your 5 yo dancing around the house singing them much more easily. :D

It's not irrelevant, because you make the connection eventually. The process of learning is long-term, so you will build new information on to existing concepts (schemas in psychology, "pegs" or "hooks" according to classical educators) each year. When you memorize these "pegs" at a young age, they have more years of being able to organize information to them ("hang it on the peg.") So if we memorize the states and capitals at 6 yo, then when dc hear that something happened in Boston, Massachusetts, their brain will perk up and remember the information. If they hadn't memorized the state capitals, they probably would have let the mention go by without noticing it. It's similar to the way you hear a name or term, and then it seems like you keep running into it everywhere. Your brain has become aware of it, added a spot for it, and now you will be able to store any mention of it there, adding more information in an organized fashion.

If you can put many "pegs" in at an early age, the world becomes a giant textbook for your child. Many classical educators have dozens of cute stories to share about their young dc making connections between what they memorized and the world around them. :001_smile:

It is also an exercise to memorize anything. If nothing else, a child who learned a list of information, even if they never use it again, will have created in their brain a stronger ability to memorize a list of items in the future.

I noticed that a lot of what is on her lists is in the "What your _____ grader needs to know. I was going to begin using them as daily guides to reding aloud and memory work so I guess I am right on track. How to do the VP cards is beyond me though:confused:

I believe in the WTM, SWB recommends memorizing things like the monarchs of England and other historical facts.

I myself am not doing this but am working on poetry and other such things.

We are working on poetry for our memory work as well, and this is our first year formally incorporating it into our curriculum. So far, the boys have memorized There is no Frigate by Emily Dickinson and My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevens.

Some of those Prelutsky ones in the download are wonderful! Thanks :) My boys will love them.

ETA: Another wonderful source I've recently discovered is The Homeschooler's Book of Lists. It comes with a CD as well, so you can print up whatever you'd like your child to memorize. It has a section of Bible, which we don't use as secular homeschoolers, but the rest is certainly worth the price. It also includes lists of all the Caldecott Medal winners, Nobel Prize Winners and the like--not necessarily for memorization, but handy to have!

Things that are on our "To Memorize" list from that book include:

1) Seven Wonders of the Ancient World

2) The Houses of the rulers of England

3) All the presidents of the US

4) States and Capitols

5) 13 US Colonies

6) Branches of the US Govt

7) Eight Parts of Speech--done

8) Names of Polygons

9) Planets and their Moons

10) Mohs Scale of Hardness-done

11) Animal and Plant Levels of classification