Menu

Hands-on Equations

KrissiK

Has anyone had any experience with "Hands-On Equations"? I was talking to a PS teacher from NC tonight (who'd homeschooled her kids all the way through) and she teaches this curriculum to her 4th graders to help them learn algebra. I was just wondering if anyone here has heard of/used it and what your impressions were.

HoE uses manipulatives to teach linear algebra with a single variable. I think it is a good, concrete way to introduce algebra basics to bright elementary-age students.

You'll find a few threads on this forum if you search. It has also got a rave review from Julie of LivingMath.com.

You can also look at videos of HoE on Youtube. Once a month or so, the company conducts free introductory webinars that you can register for.

HTH

Has anyone had any experience with "Hands-On Equations"? I was talking to a PS teacher from NC tonight (who'd homeschooled her kids all the way through) and she teaches this curriculum to her 4th graders to help them learn algebra. I was just wondering if anyone here has heard of/used it and what your impressions were.

We are using it right now and love it! My dd loves it even more, which is saying something because she is no math lover. I am using it before pre-Algebra as a more concrete introduction to Algebra equations and balancing the equation.

Heather

I've been using it with my son for awhile. He did the level one lessons last summer and he's been working through the level 1 problems in the verbal equations book for a little over a year (we only do one or two a day). Once we finish all the level one problems, we'll go back and do the level 2 lessons. I think it has been really good for him and very challenging.

Lisa

This looks interesting but WOW! $115 from Rainbow Resource?? Is it worth the price??

If you feel confident enough in your own ability to handle the algebra, you can get by with the basic set + the Verbal Problems book. That would be $66 at RR. I didn't get the DVD and felt fine teaching the Level 1 lessons.

I did something similar to what LisaTheresa mentioned doing with her student. Near the end of Right Start C, I took a break to go through the Level 1 lessons and then my DD has been slowly working her way through the Verbal Problems book. I found that HOE has been helpful in solving some of the problems in the Singapore Challenging Word Problems book. Sometimes it's easier to use a simple algebraic equation than the Singapore bar model method. I allow my DD to choose whichever method she wants to use so long as she shows her work and gets the problem correct.

Yes, I would agree that you don't need the DVDs. The Verbal Problems book is wonderful, though!

Dd started using in third grade and finished it in fourth. If I had known about it sooner, I think I would have spread it out more - done level one in late second or early third grade, level two mid to late third grade, and level three in fourth grade. This will likely be what I do with my other two, eventually.

Yes, I would agree that you don't need the DVDs. The Verbal Problems book is wonderful, though!

Dd started using in third grade and finished it in fourth. If I had known about it sooner, I think I would have spread it out more - done level one in late second or early third grade, level two mid to late third grade, and level three in fourth grade. This will likely be what I do with my other two, eventually.

I will third that you don't need the DVD. It is nicely laid out and easy to understand.

Heather