Menu

Anyone use Saxon Phonics...

I am using Saxon Phonics 2 with four of my children - DD11, DS9 and twins DSs8.

I decided that this year I needed to spend the time to make sure there were not any phonics gaps and to improve everyone's spelling. I wanted a program that covers everything quickly in the space of a year.

We are only on Lesson 16 out of 140ish, and it moves very quickly, with tons of review each day. For example, it covers both sounds of th in one lesson(day), then moves on. You review everything all the time and the lessons tell you when to retire cards - similar to AAS. I make it fun, and the kids are really enjoying the 'classroom' feel. I make them put their hands up to answer questions and when reviewing, I go around the room, just like a classroom would. It is easy for them right now, and it may be all the way through, but I know in the end, we will have covered everything. I do follow the script and I do all of the review. Best of all, my DC all look forward to doing Phonics!;)

Just a note - I also purchased Saxon Phonics Intervention for my DD11, because I wasn't sure she would want to work with her brothers. Once I received both programs, I compared them and decided that at the end of the year, she would maybe even be further along if she was to do Phonics 2 with the boys. Intervention seems to really be written for a ESL student just starting to learn English. There were some good components, but I felt Phonics 2 was stronger.

My youngest son is doing OPGTTR right now, but if Saxon Phonics 1 is as good as 2 seems to be, I will probably do it with him next year.

If you have any more questions, I will try to answer them. I know there are a few people on the board that use Saxon Phonics, hopefully they will chime in.

Edited by Roxy Roller
spelling

Oh...I do have more questions, thank you so much!

I was wondering about Intervention because I didn't know if it covered everything K-2 did or not?

Also...can a K'er start in 1? I heard Level 1 basically covers everything.

I CAN NOT believe I didn't know about Saxon Phonics. I have been wanting a good thorough OG program w/ really good lesson plans that was not $300 a level ..ha!

I also really want this to cover spelling though!

Do you feel that they will get a good grasp on spelling also?

Thanks again!

Kim

Oh...I do have more questions, thank you so much!

I was wondering about Intervention because I didn't know if it covered everything K-2 did or not?

I CAN NOT believe I didn't know about Saxon Phonics. I have been wanting a good thorough OG program w/ really good lesson plans that was not $300 a level ..ha!

Thanks again!

Kim

Homeschooling6 uses Intervention. She has a few posts on her blog (which is linked in her signature).

I bought it last week. I purchased the TM used off of Amazon for $24, and then bought the kit for $30 and workbooks for $14 from Christian Book Distributors. I received the TM today and am excited to start.

I decided to do it with my older boys. They're great readers and I decided overteaching phonics couldn't be bad, but the main reason I purchased it was for spelling. I tried WRTR last year, but I needed something more structured so I gave it up. I also am thrilled SPI is only 100 lessons long.

Okay...see..this is my thing, I am wanting to fill in the gaps for phonics and use if for spelling.

I have a 10 year old and 7 and 5 and 3 year old so...trying to find which would be best to get.

We also do ETC workbooks, my kids love those.

I have Sonlight LA but one of the first things I do is look to see if it covers spelling rules, maybe it is just me but this is important to me.

So..when I saw Saxon Phonics and started researching I was getting excited!:lol:

Intervention covers phonics, spelling, vocab and reading comprehension. I may have my DD11 complete it next year, if I still feel like she needs more work. She was a late reader and is not a great speller. I think it is more for a child that is 4th or 5th grade and older.

I think that Saxon Phonics K is really just a letter-sound recognition program, along with beginning words. I'm skipping it in favor of OPGTTR and Phonics Pathways. I think that if your child is already past that stage, you could do Phonics 1. Here is the link for the Saxon Phonics 1 Teachers Manual Table of Contents - http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product_slideshow?sku=75323&actual_sku=75323&slide=1. It also has sample lessons to look through.

I love that it is scripted and thorough and I don't have to do any kind of planning.

As to your last question, I believe that it will help with spelling, but I am a new user, hopefully someone else will answer that question. I sure hope it will.

Edited by Roxy Roller

I originally used Saxon Phonics 2 for a 2nd grader who could read but had gaps in spelling skills. Saxon really firmed up her foundation, and I ended up using k-2 with my two younger ds. They all are excellent readers now. I was always suprised that it wasn't more popular as it's very thorough and easy to use. My dc always enjoyed it, and they still remember some of the games years later.

I am so glad to read a thread about Saxon Phonics.. I have been thinking that I should do the same thing and "fill in gaps" with several of my dc. My ds (now 11) did Saxon phonics 1 and 2 in a christian classical school and to this day, I KNOW it seriously made him a great speller and reader, too. He can sound out words that are really funky/rule-breakers BECAUSE he did Saxon phonics. Sooo, now I'm really thinking that it would be so beneficial to my dd age 9 and her sister, age 8 to do the level 2... It is very "saxon" and intense, but it covers everything and does a great job reviewing daily, too... HTH

I have used Saxon Phonics with 3 dc so far. I love it! My 2nd grader is currently in Phonics 2 and we are working hard to help him spell confidently. 2 also teaches the history of the English language, which I really like, since I'm into that kind of stuff. SP even helped my child with dyslexia learn to read. It's just such a wonderful program.