Menu

Do You Belong to a Homeschooling Group?

Do You Belong to a Homeschooling Group?  

1. 1. Do You Belong to a Homeschooling Group?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other option

We are part of quite a few. A hs group, a tutorial, and I host a small geography group. We have all made some great friends. We love the opportunity to go on field trips with other families, holiday parties, park days, classes, etc. I feel very fortunate to live in an area with so many hs opportunities with great moms and kids:). I haven't noticed a lot of the issues other people have brought up within our groups. There is never much talk of religion, curriculum, hs philosophies, etc. It's all pretty drama free:)

We belong to a group/co-op. To be in the co-op, you have to join the group. To be in the group, you do not have to join the co-op.

We joined for friends for my girls who are 4th and 5th grade. My 5th grader also is talented in art and drawing. The co-op hires a professional artist and we pay her tuition to tutor the kids in art from 4th grade on up. There is also drama, music, PE, and book study.

There are things I do not like about it, but there are a lot of things that we gain from it.

I don't even know if we have any official homeschooling groups (with membership) or coops around here, but I'm definitely not a coop person nor a membership-group person. I like my independence. ;) We do have a homeschool PE class that meets once a week; we used to attend (before our schedule just got too full and I needed that time to do schoolwork), and obviously there are a lot of homeschoolers there, but the only thing "official" about it is the need to sign-up and pay for the class (it's run by a husband/wife duo - it's their business).

I do, because our local group has a lot of things that we want to be a part of - co op (with classes my son loves taught by paid teachers), elementary/middle/high school groups with several activities monthly, options for geography and science fairs, an annual drama production, yearbook club, and monthly mom meetings where we can get together and share ideas. The only thing you have to do to be part of it is come to 2 meetings per year and serve on the team of your choice, but by joining you have access to any of the options you want to participate in.

Our participation varies by year, but we've found it to be just what we need.

We used to be members of three groups, all secular, unschooling and great fun, when dc were small. We moved house and they were too far away to get to on a regular basis :sad: but I kept in touch with a few people and we do go if there's something really special on.

We have a homeschooling group in our town, but it's not on at a convenient time for us. We've tried to make it, but failed more often than we've succeeded so we go infrequently. The people there are lovely, very friendly and inclusive so I'm just sorry that we can't get there more often.

Hence my answer, "other".

No. We did when the boys were little but it was a disaster. All the moms wanted me to teach music while they chatted and so I ended up being the default babysitter...some the children were incorigible and the mothers didn't want to help because then they would miss out on their social hour.

We quit and have been perfectly happy without one. We do have a 4-H science club that meets at our home once a month.

Faith

I voted yes. It is only a social group and not a co-op.

1. Group rates on field trips.

2. Interaction with people who "get" homeschooling.

3. Socialization for my kids during the school week.

4. FUN parties, park days, field trips. We have a blast.

5. Great source for used curriculum (2x a year we have a curriculum sale).

6. Emotional support when we are going through a rough time (They watched my kids while my husband was having surgery, etc.).

7. Friendships

I guess for the same reasons we join any group.

And I'm lucky, I guess. Our group rarely discusses curriculum or methodology. I know there have been some people who from time-to-time have left in a huff for various things but I tend to avoid drama of any kind so I don't even know WHY they left.

We are very busy with non-homeschooling activities. Community recreational soccer, Suzuki violin, etc...

We tried a group last year and all of their activities (of which there were A LOT) were at 1:00. We have a hard time getting up and getting things done to be somewhere at 1:00. I try to schedule activities for 3:00 and after.

We do occasionally go to a playday that homeschoolers from my church do on Friday's, but it's very informal...so I still voted no.

I've considered joining back up, because older dd is feeling a little isolated. If I could find a group of girls her age to interact with, I wouldn't need to do it. I've even considered finding a Girl Scout troop, or something.

Yes, a couple. We go to a weekly playgroup that's part of the inclusive group. There are a lot of girls dd's age and ds has a friend there too. We've branched out into doing small fieldtrips with this group too. We also belong to the big, Christian (but you don't have to sign an SOF) group. We've done a few fieldtrips with them, but we're not as active. The kids attend a Friday drop-and-run that they enjoy. This is ds's 5th year and dd's 4th year attending. We also belong to the local Catholic hs group. It's not very active, but we did find an art teacher and a Spanish class through this group and the kids know lots of the other children from CCE, VBS and choir.

This seems like a lot, but only the playgroup and Friday school require a firm commitment. The other groups are mainly email based and are a good source of information without requiring much time or effort on my part.

It always surprises me when people aren't a member of a hs group of any kind. I'm the mod of a local elementary school group. We're also part of two small co-op groups. Homeschooling is so much less lonely when you've got friends to talk to.

I have many friends to talk to. Some even homeschool. But I am not a part of any co-ops.

I am a member of a group that is about 30-40 minutes away, and occasionally go to some of their outings. We've also participated in their Spelling Bee and will do their Creative Writing Challenge. I don't make myself go to anything that isn't totaly doable. My older boy loves meeting new friends and getting out there, so I do it for him. We might do the coop classes next semester as they were offering some good ones, but I don't know.

I started a small local group last year as there weren't any secular groups in my immediate town, and we meet every other week or so for bowling, swimming or park days. Very low key but enjoyable. Nothing formal at all, just relaxed getting together at times when PS are in school (so nothing's crowded ;))

I voted yes because I belong to HSLDA and HEAV. They aren't local so maybe I don't really belong to a group. I do not meet with other homeschool families on a regular basis or do any schoolish activities with anyone other than my own family. I may take advantage of a "homeschool day" at a museum, but we go as a family, not with a group. 90% of the families with school-age children at my church homeschool so I've got tons of support if I need a listening ear.

I voted "other". I'm part of a vibrant homeschool community. I'm on a few local email lists. I have a ton of homeschool friends, and some of us do things together on a regular basis, sometimes for academic things, sometimes for social, but it's not the same people at each thing, although there is lots of overlap. But there is no "group" with a leadership or a mission statement or rules or dues or anything like that.

Just a social group and that's fine for me.

Honestly we're BUSY. 3 kids hs'ing is busy. Or maybe it's just busy for me? But between HS, a house to take care of, laundry, cooking, dentist/doctor appts, and extracurricular activities....... yikes.

You must all be much more organized than I am because even twice a month park dates seem to come upon me quicker than I'm ready for.

Although we belong to a tiny co-op here in our rural community that meets for science, art & music, and I'm a member of a state hs enducation group that sends out info via e-mail, I said "No" to this poll. I am just not involved in a formal group that meets on a regular basis, and I have no desire to do so. The Hive is my official group, and I've gotten more assistance, inspiration, ideas and encouragement here than I would have ever found in a group. And to think -- I don't even have to spend money on gasoline!

:001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda

I did when I started out, for many years. I was in several different groups over the years. But by now, I have a set group of homeschool friends, and we would rather just do field trips and classes together, because we know what we are getting. :001_smile: I tend to do more things with non-homeschoolers as dc get older, too.

I am in an inclusive meetup.com group that is spread over a pretty wide area, that is trying to become a group that gets together for some unstructured community time on a regular basis. There are some wonderful parents and kids in this group and I really hope our regular meetings can work out. Our biggest challenge right now is finding a place to meet.

I am surrounded by homeschool groups that are much closer, but that I do not feel comfortable joining because they are all Christian groups.

It always surprises me when people aren't a member of a hs group of any kind. I'm the mod of a local elementary school group. We're also part of two small co-op groups. Homeschooling is so much less lonely when you've got friends to talk to.

Not everyone lives in an area with a large hsing population (or a hsing pop that wants to meet).

:shrug:

I've got a lot going on and not enough time to spend an hour plus a week driving back and forth for fun.

Yes, we belong to two. At first it was because I felt guilty about not belonging to one, and I found it uncomfortable and tedious, but after 5 years, the kids have developed some pretty great friendships, and I like the moms of those kids, so we stay. I think because we've been members for so long, I don't feel I have anything to "prove" (or disprove as it may be) to anyone anymore like I felt at first.

We have 4 kids and don't currently belong to a homeschool group that we attend regularly. We recently moved to Texas from Michigan and are still trying to find our way about. The paid classes or co-ops that I've checked out really don't fit either our schedule, location, or needed subject. I just teach it myself!

I would like to join a homeschool athletic group/gym class if it was at the right time or location, but it still seems easier to just exercise on our own or join an after-school team for our desired sport.

In Michigan, we were part of a once a month outing group that was fun and enjoyable. It was nice to get to know some other homeschooling families in the area while attending a field trip that I would have gone on anyways. I didn't feel like I was skimping on our school schedule with a once a month outing. We would have gone out once a month on our own anyways to a museum or nature center. It was just nice to combine a social event and a museum outing into one trip!

Generally I feel like I don't have time for groups when I'm trying to follow the WTM, practice Suzuki piano, violin, and harp with my kids, get to their music lessons, and still get outside for a run/bike ride everyday with all four kids for exercise.

Can anyone relate? :001_huh:

I'm hoping to make friends in the activities my children are involved in outside of homeschooling as I wait around at music lessons or sports practice rather than joining yet another activity just to be part of a group. It worked in the past!

I don't belong to one because although there is a fairly large hsing population here, I have yet to find a group that won't require me to sign a statement of faith.

As for the loneliness, I'm not. I have a few moms I talk to when I take my kids to their gym class, although they don't homeschool, that's more than enough for me. Then again I'm also a military spouse that only goes to the support group meetings when the ship is gone because of my dh's job, before he became the executive officer I never went to the meetings.

You don't have to be in a group to know other homeschoolers. :confused: You can meet them so many other places. And you can spend time with people who aren't homeschoolers, too. I don't see how "not in a group" equals "no friends to talk to."

We haven't until this year. Now we are participating in Classical Conversations. It has been a wonderful experience. We meet one morning a week about five minutes from my house. My boys are very social and needed something consistent each week. They are all able to participate, each in a separate small class. My family and friends are all participating, as well. It has kept us going even when life has been ridiculously crazy the past six weeks. The accountability has been worth it.

Yes.... several, in fact.... We belong to a homeschool teen group, which has 2-3 activities most months; a homeschool support group that meets once a month for topical meetings, while the kids have supervised activities and does occasional field trips and things like a talent show; and attend a tutorial.

I help run a teen home school group that meets twice a month. This is not an educational thing like a co-op. Sometimes sports, art, ice blocking in the winter, talent shows, geocaching, dances, etc. This is mostly for them to "hang out" and get to know each other. Last Monday I had a guest speaker from Toastmasters come in and she was wonderful. She role-played with the youth who wanted a bit of practice in speaking to a college admissions officer.

Our main local group does not suit us, we have little in common. There are a lot of local things that various people organise and we go to those that suit, but none would be considered a group.

Oh, actually, I suppose technically I sort of go to a group, but I'd more call it a regular (monthly) meet up.

We do not belong to any; like others, we are probably 30 minutes out from the nearest one, and most that I've found online require statement of faith that does not match our beliefs.

There are a few families at church that hs but they are busy with soccer, piano, etc. etc. or their kids are very young.

We belonged to one long ago with classes that didn't meet at the same time for different age groups, I had two tots in tow, and sometimes I had to leave my older ones at home. It didn't work out well.

There were a few field trips with like-hearted friends, but after the first three or four, those didn't work out too well for us due to expense or travel time.

It is fun to get the discounts for science museums or zoos, etc. Some places give discounts to hsers without having to be in a group. :hurray:

I belong to a group that is 30min-1hour away from me, depending on where we are meeting. I attend outings every 1 or 2 months. It was the only group I could find that was not Christian-based and that also focused on the gifted.

I like to be around the moms & kids because I don't feel like a 'nerd'. Instead of gossiping, we talk about owl pellets, flower species, lifecycles of bugs. I love it :grouphug:

I joined before we pulled our kids from PS.

The woman were an invaluable source of information for me regarding our state's (California) requirements, charters and things available for us as homeschoolers.

My kids enjoyed park days.

I went on a few field trips, and was embarrassed by the behavior of kids and parents. My kids were wide eyed at them, so we decided as a family, we enjoy field trips with just our little brood.

I went to one co-op meeting and smiled thru it came home and said...oh no, looked like a whole lot of hassle to teach kids I didn't want to, and have my kids taught by others? totally off topic, but is that what co-ops are?

The park days are kind of dwindling. I enjoy a few of the ladies I have met thru the HS group, so now just have them over versus being a part of the whole group.

Edited by anneofalamo

I voted other.

I belong, in name only, to a few groups but they are too far away for us to participate in most of the activities. I keep my registration current so I can receive the newsletters about conferences and such.

Our local homeschooling group consists mostly of children under the age of 10 and their activities are geared for that age group.

The families with older children have such varied interests and use different curricula that no one gets together to work on anything.

We don't belong to one. There are several smaller groups but we aren't a fit with them either due to religion or parenting/schooling styles. There is one very large group that I we checked in to (a very uncomfortable first meeting) but we haven't been back because I don't think I can fit another obligation into our schedule at this time.