Menu

Rod and Staff/Climbing to Good English

femke

Hi all,

I had a look at CTGE/Pathway and really really like what I see! I like that it's in a workbook format as DS is only 3. But our first plan was to use R&S as I've only heard good things about it. Is CTGE just as good as R&S?

Thank you!

Femke

I love the Pathway Readers. Sweet stories and my kids love them. I can't compare CtGE to R&S since I've never used R&S. I have used CtGE 1&2. I do not believe I will continue to use CtGE since it seems like a lot of busywork w/o a point. My dd happens to love it so I will let her finish CtGE 2.

I would love to hear from someone who has used these for older kids. I want to use CtGE but I need a success story at this point. Otherwise I feel it is a waste of our time. Unfortunately I cannot find many people who have used this program.

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding but is this for your 3yo?

Yes is it for my 3 year old, who has been ready for some weeks now, but I haven't been able to decide which one to use :glare: Pathway seems more gentle, but I looove the idea of learning to read with bible stories.

Indeed, I tried to find people with Google, but not many people are using it and it's hard to see what the program is like, just looking at some samples.

Yes is it for my 3 year old, who has been ready for some weeks now, but I haven't been able to decide which one to use :glare: Pathway seems more gentle, but I looove the idea of learning to read with bible stories.

Indeed, I tried to find people with Google, but not many people are using it and it's hard to see what the program is like, just looking at some samples.

For a reading program Pathways is awesome. I especially like it since the stories are little kid friendly. Stories about family and animals mostly. It is hard to find appropriate reading material for early readers. I would definitely skip the Climbing workbooks for a 3 yo. They are unrelated to the reading portion of the program and hugely age inappropriate for a 3yo. Not just because they'd be too hard. If you want me to explain further I can but if you are just looking for a reading program than I highly recommend the Pathway Readers. My ds started them shortly after he turned 4. He just turned 5 and is still enjoying them very much. My dd is finished w/ the 3rd grade ones and very disappointed. I didn't plan on buying more but I may have to rethink that.:tongue_smilie:

Okay, it starts out with phonics review (picture of cat, c_t under it, you fill in the a) which might be okay but since I was doing it with a 6 yo early reader it was very boring/pointless. It has maybe 20 pages like this then moves into a bit harder phonics and some copywork focusing on capitals and periods. This was the best part of the book IMO. As you get further on you work with things like adding suffixes, contractions, compound words with some phonics added in.

I actually really liked the first book in a lot of ways until I opened up CTGE 2 and realized that it was all the same. Page after page of doubling consonants in short vowel words, etc. Like I said earlier, if someone could tell me this is going somewhere I might stick it out but........so far nobody has.

So, back to your situation. It sounds like you have a child that is accelerated/gifted/whatever (:tongue_smilie:I hate labels) in language arts. At 3 I just can't see spending time working on the things CtGE covers. By the time your ds is 5-6 I think this is going to be BORING. I know you mentioned in another thread that he is a workbook lover. If you think he might like this you would be out maybe $10 with shipping. You could sure give it a try. If you are looking for a grammar program for the future I would take a look at Michael Clay Thompson. HTH!

hmm, not sure what to think now :glare: I read somewhere that it was R&S in workbook format, but then again, I don't have a clue what R&S covers in the first 2 years :D

So I guess it would be good for now, but not after Grade 1 or 2. I'll have a look at MCT, heard a lot of good things about it!

Thank you!