Menu

Storing pots and pans

Do you have nice cookware? How do you store it? We've just got our pots stacked one inside another and sitting on top of the pans. We have the lids in a lid rack to make it easy to find them. But our pots and pans are scratched up. I'm thinking of replacing them, though I don't want to buy an expensive set. If we cooked more than 5 standard weekly meals, I could see having nicer cookware, but we're pathetic cookers. :tongue_smilie:

How do you keep your cookware nice?

I toss all the pans and lids willy-nilly into a bottom cupboard. This makes it quite difficult to find the right lid, so I usually just grab whatever's closest. I wish I had a lid rack!

We have a 20 year old set from Saladmaster and they just don't get scratched up. They weigh a ton, but show very little wear and are as good as ever.

I am slowly switching to all cast iron so my idea of good is probably different than yours. I reduced my number of pots and pans to only what I could use for one meal and only the various sizes I couldn't do without. I also got rid of anything that didn't have a lid that fits and the extra lids I had.

I keep the lids on a pull-out shelf in a random order. I keep the pans on another pull-out shelf ( have three and they sit nicely on the shelf). I keep the pots stacked inside each other (I only have 4). I keep the cast iron (one dutch oven, one large frying pan, and one griddle pan) on the shelf at the bottom of my butcher block. I put a dish cloth between them so they don't bang together. I keep my 2 cookie sheets and a pizza pan in the drawer under the stove. I keep the GIANT soup pot in the basement for when my large family comes for Christmas.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

I have a 5-shelf InterMetro chrome pot rack/stand.

Mine is 18" square, but it is like this one: http://www.organizeit.com/intermetro.asp?cmpid=adsh13&gclid=CLTdmci9-6QCFdJL5QodLGuCkA#

I put the pots on the shelves, with lids on them. I have hooks along 2 sides from which hang colanders and frying pans.

Edited by RoughCollie

I've always wanted a hanging pot rack, but I've never had the right kitchen. I've had copper-bottomed Revere Ware for twenty years and the pots nest in a cabinet, lids in a dishpan. I'm not at all gentle with them and they still look great, maybe a few scratches. They're practically indestructible.

Love that. Does it hold up to heavy cookware? Would a pegboard support cast iron?

Yes. I have All-Clad cookware and it holds it just fine. The cookware in that picture is very heavy. I just would store really heavy pieces up high.

ETA: I meant to say that I WOULDN'T store heavy pieces up high!

Edited by Jana

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I have been switching over to Le Creuset. I love it! I don't know what to do with mine either. I do not have wall space. My kitchen has 3 doorways and 2 large windows. The only wall has my shelves used as an open pantry.