Menu

foreign language suggestions

chirowife

I bought Rosetta Stone Latin America Spanish for my daughter. She is almost 12 in 7/8 grade and a very fast learner. She HATES it. I have to force her to do it. My other daughter, 10, in 5th grade also did not like it at all either so I told her she did not have to do it. Of course I bought 1,2,and 3 - homeschool version. So I am looking for any suggestions and possibly even a different language program. She took Latin in private school and LOVED it. I really think it is the program and not the language?!:confused:

I don't like Rosetta Stone either and can't say enough good things about the Pimsleur program. It's not as flashy as Rosetta Stone, no computer software, just listening and repeating to CDs, but wow, it really works. I studied Mandarin in China and could always tell the students who had done Pimsleur before hand because they were practically fluent (at a basic level and on a limited range of topics but still!).

Since its an audio-only program you would need to supplement with a reading/writing program.

Of course trying to find some native Spanish speakers to practice with would be ideal.

Is there a program for your elementary that teaches a little grammar, too, for Spanish? We are using Power Glide and my 7 and 5 yo really like these books with Cd, and we are writing down a lot and repeating, so they are learning. But it does not have - so far, in level 1- any grammar, memorization of verbs, etc...