Menu

Downloading Netflix on the Wii. Parental controls?

Does Netflix have parental controls on the Wii? I signed us up for it last night and didn't think about all the R rated shows on there. Is there a place for parental controls while still allowing the older kids options while I am gone?

I'm pretty sure that whatever parental controls you have setup in Netflix reflect in the Wii and PS3..you can't change them just for instant viewing through the game players - you'd have to change it fully in Netflix. It's been one complaint I've heard from a few families.

I'm pretty sure that whatever parental controls you have setup in Netflix reflect in the Wii and PS3..you can't change them just for instant viewing through the game players - you'd have to change it fully in Netflix. It's been one complaint I've heard from a few families.

:iagree:

They'll still be able to see the titles but they won't be able to play anything. Unfortunately, I don't want my kids to even see some of those titles!

I know you can put a password on your wii - but then I think you are limiting everything and not just the wii channel - but I haven't tried it yet.

The PC can be done online. My son is really good about only watching the things that we've agreed to put in the queue. My son is really a good kid and doesn't need the parental controls. He only watches what's in the queue.

If your kid might be more curious, just let them know that you are able to see everything they've watched and even for how long they've watched it.

I just downloaded the netflix channel and the parental controls on the wii will prevent the channel from loading without a password!!

Go to Wii Settings, choose Parental controls on page 2, and then select other settings. Click nest until you get to the internet channel and choose select.

The netflix channel also gives you the option to browse for movie titles as opposed to the disk that just made suggestions (the netflix channel still makes suggestions as well).

I spent some time on the phone with Netflix today; we use the Roku for ours (but the parental controls via the Netflix site) and since I switched the parental controls to pg-13 and below, they can't watch Mythbusters :glare:. They said they are working on that. FYI.

I spent some time on the phone with Netflix today; we use the Roku for ours (but the parental controls via the Netflix site) and since I switched the parental controls to pg-13 and below, they can't watch Mythbusters :glare:. They said they are working on that. FYI.

That's good to know - however - I wish you could just block whole categories from even showing up when your browsing!!

That's good to know - however - I wish you could just block whole categories from even showing up when your browsing!!

Quoting myself!!

I just set the parental controls on my netflix account to unrated family - this effectively prevented all those R and MATURE titles from showing up on the wii!

For us - its easy enough to log onto netflix from the computer and change the parental controls when dh and I want to see something that's locked and now I don't have to worry about what the little eyes may see. As far as our instant queue, the titles that are blocked show up with a lock on wii - so you can still browse the titles it just won't play or show the cover images.

I hope that this helps some wondering how to make using the wii a bit more safe for your younger ones.

Well, my guys won't start a movie they don't know without asking us about it. Also, you can check your "recently played" list periodically to make sure nothing has been watched that shouldn't have.

There are some movies that I want to see that I wouldn't necessarily want the boys to watch, so the parental guard is a pain to me. We had a big discussion on movie responsibility and inability to unsee something you wish you hadn't. I'm not sure that there is anything of that severe nature even available with Wii/Netflix but it was a timely discussion anyway. :)

However, when we got it my guys were old enough that it was time to teach responsibility and hopeful maturity rather than just using blocks anyway. Our 4 year old hasn't been and won't be taught how to navigate Netflix yet anyway. :)