Menu

What are you making for Christmas dinner?

oh MY! We won't even begin to discuss this until after Thanksgiving. ;) We usually make a TON of food because dh always takes off the week between Christmas and New Years and we don't want to do a ton of cooking. Last year it was crab legs, lasagna, many salads, shrimp platter, many appetizers, etc. I don't remember it all now.

Ham

Mashed Potatoes

24 hour fruit salad

Rolls

Broccoli Cheese casserole

Dessert???

Extras??

I try to make Christmas dinner fairly easy so that I can enjoy the day. I have people over on Christmas Eve and we have appetizers. I make homemade cinnamon rolls and sticky buns for Christmas morning. So Christmas day, I want to have time to just play or rest and enjoy the kids. The broccoli cheese casserole is made in the crockpot and the 24 hour salad is made the day before. I use crescent rolls since I make homemade rolls for Thanksgiving. All I really have to do is put the ham in the oven and peel and mash potatoes.

We'd like to have a lighter, snack throughout the day type meal.

So, I'm making buffet foods that will last all day.

Chili, cream cheese dip with corn chips (kept warm in the crock pot)

Stuffed mushroom caps - which don't have to last all day because they will be inhaled as soon as they come out of the oven

Brioche

A big fruit bowl with walnuts, almonds, toasted coconut, and a drizzle of honey

Indian Corn Pudding with Devonshire cream

Broccoli/Cauliflower/Red Pepper and pasta salad

Pigs in blankets (not nutritious- but two of the boys are begging and it's Christmas!)

Faith

We raise pigs, so we will be having ham :tongue_smilie: as well as:

Homemade mac and cheese

Steamed Broccoli

Green Salad

Rolls

Surprise Apple Salad (basically chopped apples, crushed snicker bars, and whipped topping mixed together. The kids insist upon this dish at Thanksgiving and Christmas)

Dessert of some sort

Krista

We host a big vegetarian potluck for any friends who are in town. Sometimes it is intimate and sometimes is is packed. None of us want to cook a big dinner and after thanksgiving it is just too much. We just let the kids go wacko while the adults huddle around the snacks and drink fun drinks. I love it.

As soon as everyone leaves DH and I untrim the tree and toss it in the backyard. The next morning we drive 6 hours to my mom's house for a whole second christmas.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

We do Ham and Turkey for Thanksgiving so I always roast a Chicken for Christmas dinner. I will serve it with mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, a vege(don't know what yet) and desserts. I bake lots of cookies, pecan pie, pumpkin bread, buck eyes, fudge, and I make hard candies.

For breakfast we will probably have homemade cinnamon rolls, denver style fritatta, fried potatoes, bacon and fresh orange juice.

We generally have ham, homemade macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes, rolls, and a green vegetable of some sort (varies from year to year). We have gingerbread cookies, sugar cookies, and fudge for dessert. Christmas is a pretty small meal compared to Thanksgiving, we get the ham from Honeybaked Ham, and we only do both mac n cheese & sweet potatoes because I love the latter but the kids love the former. Then we eat on it for a few days afterwards.

The broccoli cheese casserole is made in the crockpot

Recipe please.:toetap05:

My husband is Southern, so he'd have turkey again...:rolleyes:

But my family always had an English Christmas dinner. Roast beef, yorkshire pudding, English potatoes, brussel sprouts.:tongue_smilie:

But I have to compromise. We'll probably have beef. Now that the family has shrunk and there's just the 4 of us + MIL, I might splurge for a tenderloin. And asparagus. And English potatoes. And something like Chocolate Lava cakes for dessert. I've never made those and my kids would flip for them!

My FIL passed away a few months ago and I am so in the mood to make this T.giving and Christmas really, really special and traditional.

Recipe please.:toetap05:

My husband is Southern, so he'd have turkey again...:rolleyes:

But my family always had an English Christmas dinner. Roast beef, yorkshire pudding, English potatoes, brussel sprouts.:tongue_smilie:

But I have to compromise. We'll probably have beef. Now that the family has shrunk and there's just the 4 of us + MIL, I might splurge for a tenderloin. And asparagus. And English potatoes. And something like Chocolate Lava cakes for dessert. I've never made those and my kids would flip for them!

My FIL passed away a few months ago and I am so in the mood to make this T.giving and Christmas really, really special and traditional.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everyone has a special holiday season this year! :grouphug:

We do not have Christmas dinner. I do the overnight breakfast in the crock pot casserole. Then throughout the day I put out a variety of finger foods and sandwiches. Some times there will be things one needs a fork or spoon for but not always. There are also cookies and pie.

We do not have Christmas dinner. I do the overnight breakfast in the crock pot casserole. Then throughout the day I put out a variety of finger foods and sandwiches. Some times there will be things one needs a fork or spoon for but not always. There are also cookies and pie.

What's in the breakfast casserole?

We are having standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, gravy, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, green beans steamed with dried cranberries, with almonds mixed in afterward, fruit salad. Dessert will be selected from the pies, cakes, and cookies I will have already baked.

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/12/29/cooking-live-with-slashfood-beef-rib-roast-yorkshire-pudding/

We have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. For Christmas breakfast, I serve stollen, cake, cinnamon rolls, hot cocoa, OJ, and coffee. I know this is a very sweet breakfast, but it is traditional in our family because my German grandfather was a baker. I limit my menu to one cake; he always had three. For Christmas dinner, people either eat leftovers or, when I am feeling really ambitious, I provide an assortment of appetizers. I do not like to cook on Christmas Day.

Edited by RoughCollie

What's in the breakfast casserole?

hash brown potatoes, sausage, eggs, cheese. Let me see if I can find the recipe quickly.

1 bag of frozen potatoes O'Brien

1 pound of bulk sausage, browned and crumbled

1 small red onion, chopped

1 sweet pepper, any color or color mixture, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced or pressed

12 ounces shredded cheese. Whatever your favorite for omelets is.

1 dozen eggs

1 cup of milk

salt and pepper to taste

Layer the potatoes, sausage, vegetables, garlic in crock pot. Stir up eggs with milk, salt and pepper. Pour eggs over potatoes, meat and veg. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cook on low 10-12 hours.

Some people crumble a pound of crisp cooked bacon in addition to the other ingredients. I don't like the texture of bacon soaked in liquid. So I'll cook up the bacon (and a batch of biscuits) a day or two before and reheat in the microwave to serve on the side.

Edited by Parrothead

Low country boil full of shrimp, sausage, onions, potatoes, and corn. Followed by pecan pie and lots of ice cream. I don't like spending all day cooking for one meal, even Christmas so this is fun for us. After years of heavy Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, we decided to take it easy on ourselves, especially since hubby only gets Christmas day off. We invite friends from church over and take it easy hanging out.

Christmas dinner is always something different here. Last year it was sauerbraten, cabbage, potatoes, etc. The year before was a roast filet with a coffee/chile crust, grits with arugula and mushrooms, etc. I'm liking the idea of doing a roast with Yorkshire pudding this year.

We have Thanksgiving dinner just the three of us every year and I do the whole thing--turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, yams, roasted asparagus, two different pies, etc.. I *love* cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I've been doing it since I was a teenager so it's a smooth process. Everything's timed just right, I know just how the dh and ds like all my dishes. But it means we're pretty sick of turkey afterwards. I like making a fuss over Christmas dinner, but I like doing something *new* every year.

Cheese Soup

Roast Beef

Yorkshire Pudding

Roast Potatoes w/Gravy

assorted veg

Christmas Pudding and another dessert yet to be determined

When I am really good we whip up a homemade snack like chex mix and have hot cider, cookies, and popcorn to snack on while we enjoy the day. Maybe a heavy dip and some veg or fruit trays as well. Depends on how much extra family we have with us.

Breakfast is usually easy-cinnamon rolls or some sort of quick casserole-just enough to tide us through, I usually do just one big meal for the day.

prime rib

Yorkshire pudding (rolls for those that don’t want the pudding)

mash potatoes

gravy

and probably a corn casserole!

Someone else will bring the dessert.

And of course we always have appetizers beforehand! YUM!

Now every year we also do a Christmas breakfast (tradition!). We have either cinn. rolls or quiche with Christmas Porridge. It has taken several years for our family (especially my mom) to adjust to the porridge, but we wouldn’t change a thing. This breakfast is something my dh grandmother always did on Christmas morning, so I have carried on that tradition with my children.

Forgot to add: For dinner, DH cooks the rib and the pudding every year! I just need to do the potatoes (assign DD to make these), gravy (get Mom to make it!) and a veggie! Easy Cheesey for ME!!!!

Edited by Tina in WA

*fingersinears*

lalalalalalaaaaaa!

ok, I'm thinking about it, yes, I admit, but I'm not making a menu yet as I have no idea how many people will be here. BUT I will tell you that Christmas Eve is The Feast of 7 Fishes (festa dei sette pesci) and that is a yearly extravaganza that is pretty much set in stone. Salt cod salad (baccala), calamari, shrimp fra diavlo, linguini and clam sauce, clam chowder (my son requested this one and it stuck), clams oreganto, flounder, but I don't do the eel. We also have antipasti, macaroni (gnocchi and sage which I make from scratch) or a manacotti.

then, for Christmas breakfast it's Panetonne french toast, sausage and bacon, oj, espresso

see? this is why I can't even think about Christmas dinner yet. But, I'm wondering about a nice roast beast.

Edited by justamouse

I do a beef tenderloin coated with a bacon, garlic, and mustard mixture. Use the drippings from that to make a Yorkshire pudding and serve it with sauteed green beans, roasted asparagus. A chocolate raspberry tart for dessert. Yum. I love Christmas dinner!

I need the recipe for that tenderloin please!!! Sounds yummy. Oh and the Yorkshire pudding please!

I was planning on having beef tenderloin with roasted veggies and LOTS of salads and homemade bread.

For breakfast I have mimosas and cinnamon rolls. Then, I put out heavy appetizers around 11 am. Our main meal is around 4 pm. I'm serving 20 this year.

Growing up we always had a big dinner on Christmas Eve with ham and all the trimmings, and then a big dinner on Christmas. Then one year my mom was sick and realized that no one cared or wanted to make dinner on Christmas day after cooking the whole day before too. So we stopped doing Christmas dinner.

However, my husband thinks not having turkey on Christmas is a sin, and I insist on ham, so I make ham for Christmas Eve and he makes turkey for Christmas day (he loves to cook). This year, though, we might try a goose for fun.

We usually have goose with apple-walnut stuffing, potatoes, veg, cranberry sauce, and strawberry trifle.

But, after hearing about the various beef dishes with yorkshire pudding, I'm thinking maybe we should try THAT instead this year!

I'm such an anglophile, I simply MUST do an English Christmas dinner every year!

Veronica

hash brown potatoes, sausage, eggs, cheese. Let me see if I can find the recipe quickly.

1 bag of frozen potatoes O'Brien

1 pound of bulk sausage, browned and crumbled

1 small red onion, chopped

1 sweet pepper, any color or color mixture, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced or pressed

12 ounces shredded cheese. Whatever your favorite for omelets is.

1 dozen eggs

1 cup of milk

salt and pepper to taste

Layer the potatoes, sausage, vegetables, garlic in crock pot. Stir up eggs with milk, salt and pepper. Pour eggs over potatoes, meat and veg. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cook on low 10-12 hours.

Some people crumble a pound of crisp cooked bacon in addition to the other ingredients. I don't like the texture of bacon soaked in liquid. So I'll cook up the bacon (and a batch of biscuits) a day or two before and reheat in the microwave to serve on the side.

That sounds yummy!

I might go back to my old family tradition of something called SOS (stands for **** on a shingle...I was told it was an old army thing, but mom definitely dressed it up) for Christmas breakfast. It's something my mom always made. Creamy gravy, sliced pastrami and corned beef. Served over english muffins. It sounds gross and none of my family now likes it too much. I love it doused in Worcestershire and Tabasco! I'd love to have at least a small batch for me to bring back all those memories. They also always did a Royal Gin Fizz (and I got a non-alcoholic one). Might have to bring that back for old times too. Then I'll make a big batch of Ree's cinnamon rolls and they won't care about my gross SOS and just eat those! :D

The usual.

Sticky buns.

We don't have a big meal for Christmas. We've no family in town. So I make a big thing of sticky buns for breakfast and call it good.

We do not have any family in town either (our closest family is 1700 miles away), so it is just the four of us. We always have Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve. I usually bake a a graham streudel coffee cake for breakfast, and call it good for the day, since we can have leftovers for the other meals.

Krista

Last year the local Italian market had those long beef tenderloins on sale - I oven roasted two and they were GREAT! Those that is the meat - then the usual sides.

And at least 18 different types of cookies. I may start baking this week ( plenty of room in the deep freeze).

PS my mostly Italian mil always brings her homemade lasagna for our starter course. YUM!!!

• 2 weeks later...