Menu

celebrity sighting

I'm in the Historic Triangle (Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown) in Virginia for a 3 day field trip/vacation with our family. We're having a great time, and the boys (12, 11, 7) are doing well, having fun, and actually learning. As if all of that wasn't enough, I ran into Susan Wise Bauer in the toy store! I was able to maintain my dignity (no gasping, no bowing and scraping, no crying) and have a normal - albeit brief - conversation with her. I have spoken with her at a conference before, but today it was just a "hi, and thanks for the curriculum and confidence your books have given me in our homeschooling journey." She was lovely and humble and seemed almost surprised that I would take the time to thank her.

I guess I don't need to tell you what was the highlight of our trip for me! :)

I'm in the Historic Triangle (Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown) in Virginia for a 3 day field trip/vacation with our family. We're having a great time, and the boys (12, 11, 7) are doing well, having fun, and actually learning. As if all of that wasn't enough, I ran into Susan Wise Bauer in the toy store! I was able to maintain my dignity (no gasping, no bowing and scraping, no crying) and have a normal - albeit brief - conversation with her. I have spoken with her at a conference before, but today it was just a "hi, and thanks for the curriculum and confidence your books have given me in our homeschooling journey." She was lovely and humble and seemed almost surprised that I would take the time to thank her.

I guess I don't need to tell you what was the highlight of our trip for me! :)

:lol: I confess I may have drooled a little! It doesn't help that I am in the process of listening to her MP3s and finding her to be an unending source of wisdom.

That is cool! It was great that you were able to articulate to her what an inspiration she has been to your homeschool journey. I would not recognize SWB if I saw her, but that is probably because I have never seen her speak at a conference.

Great vacation memory for you :001_smile:

Awesome possum!

I'd have been such an unrepentant fangirl. If I'd had my copy of her Ancient World (and I frequently do), I'd have asked her to sign page 324; the paragraph about the "unresolved issues" and "most tactless political speech in history" is alone worth the price of the book.

When I saw them at the conference, I did ask both SWB and JB to autograph my copy of TWTM, and I almost started crying when talking to SWB (the whole idea of hs'ing was daunting to me, and TWTM really made me believe I could do it, and relatively well at that) because of gratitude. I have to admit that I was quite proud of myself that I was able to articulate my thanks yesterday, though I could've done a better job with eye contact... I think her aura of wisdom was too bright for me. ;)

I'm afraid I would have giggled, "you know"ed, "ummm"ed and stumbled myself crazy. Then I would have spent weeks replaying how ridiculous I must have sounded in the conversation.

I did go to the conference a year and half ago and don't THINK I did too badly. :) At least she didn't take my copy of WTM away from me because I wasn't worthy of it. ;) LOL Sometimes I wonder...

I did go to the conference a year and half ago and don't THINK I did too badly. :) At least she didn't take my copy of WTM away from me because I wasn't worthy of it. ;) LOL Sometimes I wonder...

Heh. Scary thought!

I have the same one, of course, when I listen to Professor Vandiver's lectures about Homer. I keep thinking she'll come to my door, gently take my cds away, and suggest I try something a little more my speed, such as a children's picture book.

True and funny story about meeting SWB. I was at a hs conference with a friend, who is equally obsessed with her. I confessed to my friend that I followed SWB on twitter, and that she had recently tweeted about cleaning out her barn, and the big project that it was. I think she used the word "muck." Not sure, though.

Anyway, my friend ends up in the restroom at the same time as Susan and asks her, "How's the barn mucking going these days?" :001_huh:

So Susan just laughs, and says, "Fine, thanks for asking!"

My friend gleefully reports all this to me, and adds that she told Susan that I follow her on Twitter. Needless to say, I tried to avoid hanging out with my friend for the rest of the conference for fear that Susan would realize I was the psycho friend! :lol: