Menu

Change baby name choice based on initials?

OK. So, I'm due in 4 weeks, and we have had a terrible time choosing a name for this little one (not helped by the fact that our other dc feel they have just as much say in the matter as we do ;)).

Our 2 dc's names start with the same letter, so we started out trying to stick with that pattern. We just couldn't find another name we were in love with starting with that letter, and the kids thought it was time to break the pattern. Considering this new baby is a "new batch" (11 years later), we were OK with that.

It has taken us months to come up with a name that we are all happy with. Now that we are all in agreement, I have come to realize that, since the name starts with a vowel, we would be setting her up for a set of initials that will form words (or quazi-words) in various forms. Our kids have compound names, so depending on how many initials she uses, they would be read as:

OD

LOD

LOBD

Now, this name could be spelled with a "U" instead of an "O", making her initials:

UD

LUD

LUBD

So, which is worse? Should we go with the "O" spelling, or "U" spelling? Or choose an entirely different name, in order to avoid the whole vowel problem?

BTW, there is one name that starts with the same letter as my other dc (to keep the pattern) and is really the only "runner-up" name. We could go with that in order to avoid the initial problem. However, it is quite similar to dd's name (fine if they were twins, but 11 years apart?), and would give them the exact same initials :tongue_smilie:. This runner-up name is easier to pronounce based on the spelling, but we just don't love it as much, and aren't as thrilled with the meaning.

Advice?

My kids initials spell PAN & ANN. My DH is CAN. No one has ever paid attention to his initials. I would go with the name you love and not worry about the word the initials make. I'm more worried about the first name and the fun that can made of that...such as my husband wanted MAXIMUS, and all I could think of was GLUTEUS MAXIMUS (your butt muscle, turning his name into Butt Head...)

We as females over analyze everything (and no one probably ever calls a child named Maximus Butt Head-as to stem from the muscle name Maximus), so I understand. :)

Vicki

I thought you were going to come up with something really bad!

they would be read as:

OD

LOD

LOBD

Now, this name could be spelled with a "U" instead of an "O", making her initials:

UD

LUD

LUBD

These are not that bad! I wouldn't change it. I don't think the O or the U matter.

Now really bad would have been dd. Oce we got to a point that her initials would have been K-K. We made absolutely sure her middle name did not also start with a K! OH, and we live in the south so yes it would have been noticed.

Thanks for the kind replies :001_smile:. Actually, while I was typing the initials, they didn't look as bad written out as I was imagining in my head. I kept thinking "odd", but it doesn't look that way spelled out, although it does spell "O.D.", which could be worse?

You're right, a lot of over-thinking going on. Dh's initials are MAD, who cares? It's actually kind of funny. I have just rejected so many names based on the "make-fun-of" factor, that I didn't want to choose a name that would cause her to be made fun of because of her initials. But, it's true, how often do we use initials? Mostly for signing documents as an adult, I guess.

A name is just such a permanent thing that follows a person all their lives, I prefer to over-think now, than to regret it (or have it held against me) in the future.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

ETA: I just realized my nephew has the same initials: OD, or MOD, and I never thought about it (he is only 4, but still...)

Edited by AHASRADA

Seriously, as a girl, you have a lot less to worry about. My friend spent so much time picking out her daughter's name. She was the first baby, so, well, you know how that is. It all has to sound just right, initials, and all that. Fast Forward 20 years. She go married. Her initials are RRW, and her middle name is 1 syllable. You have to focus very hard to NOT start the last name with a R also. I also have a friend who's first name is JOY. Her married last name is heart. Sounds made up, but it's not.

All this to say, name her what you want. She'll change her last name in 25 years or so, and it'll sound completely different. :D

:iagree:

No problem with any of those. My dh's is SAP. Unless you plan on getting a bunch of monogrammed things, does it matter anyway?

And if it really bothered you you could monogram with the last initial slightly bigger in the middle with the first initial first and the middle initial last in smaller font. I have a few things monogrammed and that's how I have it done...not for any embarrassing initials...just because I like it that way better. My initials are RSW but RWS when I monogram.

One of my friends had always loved a name beginning with P. Then she married a man who's last name was P and being pregnant, had to decide on names. Mr. P put his foot down because having grown up as TP there was absolutely no way he was going to saddle a son with PP.:lol:

I think that UD isn't bad...

In my world, people work YEARS to add the "UD" initials after a name-- a dog's name, that is! In the world of competitive obedience, "UD" means "Utility Dog" which is the highest obedience title a dog can earn. INCREDIBLY demanding training, including scent work.

So me, I LOVE "UD." :D

But really, do what makes you happiest!

Astrid (wondering what name can be spelled with an "o" or a "u")

In my world, people work YEARS to add the "UD" initials after a name-- a dog's name, that is! In the world of competitive obedience, "UD" means "Utility Dog" which is the highest obedience title a dog can earn. INCREDIBLY demanding training, including scent work.

Maybe the baby needs to earn those initials first? :confused: :D

(wondering what name can be spelled with an "o" or a "u")

I didn't see anything HORRENDOUS about the initials in the OP.

There was one name choice I didn't stick with long because though it was sweet, it would have left the child with SEEMING like initials were KKK (last name actually started with C). Additionally, when my son changed his name several months ago, we considered initials briefly.

Anyway, so I think we have to consider it to a point. I don't think we need to OVER-analyze it though.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Other than the obvious ASS/POS/WTF and other way-out-there combinations, I don't think initials are a big deal.

Dh and I are CAW and JAW, and ds12 is JED. I used to be CAD. My inlaws are RAW, DAW, and LAW.

The only time most people think about this is when having this exact conversation, lol.

I would assume that it's probably an Arabic name?

Very educated guess, Jean! (and correct ;))

We actually have friends whose dd has those initials. They didn't realize it until much later and then it is hard to change.

Lesley

See, this is what I just don't get. How can someone choose a name for their child which creates obscene initials, and not "realize it until much later"? :confused: But, then again, I do over-think, over-analyze just about everything, so it's difficult for me to fathom.

Thanks again for everyone's kind comments. Still working on deciding between the "O" and the "U", for additional reasons other than just initials (ease of pronunciation in different languages, etc.), but I think I have finally given up looking for any name alternatives (unless dh throws me a curve ball at the last minute).

You gals are great!

I think those initials are all fine. My husband (and all of his siblings) always have to use all three initials because they all have the first and last initials of BM:confused:

My sister's initials were BM and her husband's initials are TP.

I think your initials are fine. I would just go with the name you love best.

Yeah, I'd have no prob with your possibles. Unless it's a bad word, like @SS or something, I'm good with initials. Remember that monograms change the order so that the last name is in the middle, anyway. (Well, some monograms, done traditionally, that is.)

We have a JOC and a GAC and I've never even thought about the baby's. I've never never never heard of anybody getting ribbed over their initials.