Menu

I need a wall map...

5LittleMonkeys

that doesn't have Greenland bigger than the whole North American continent.

I printed this one out and taped all the sheets together. It's about 6x6, so it's great for labeling and coloring in but dd7 had a fit because the size of the continents aren't accurate.

I don't mind buying one if it isn't too expensive...taping that other one all together was a pain.

Thanks!

If you try to make something flat and rectangullar out of something that's circular, the proportions will never be accurate. You'll want to look for one that has 'breaks'. Maybe a fun way to illustrate this for your dd woud be to draw a sketch of the world on a carefully peeled orange, then flatten it out. Once it's explained to her why the sizes aren't accurate, maybe what you've already got will do?

If you try to make something flat and rectangullar out of something that's circular, the proportions will never be accurate. You'll want to look for one that has 'breaks'. Maybe a fun way to illustrate this for your dd woud be to draw a sketch of the world on a carefully peeled orange, then flatten it out. Once it's explained to her why the sizes aren't accurate, maybe what you've already got will do?

I did try to explain it to her but she didn't really get it. I will try the orange ... that is a great idea!

Are you talking about the ones from Owl & Mouse? We're also using that, but I cut off Greenland so that it's just sticking down. We lost Alaska in that too... But I felt like the majority of what we're working on with history and so forth was there. I wish they had another projection available. Or that there was another way for us to make a mutli-sheet map relatively easily. Anyone know of one?

If you're looking for something that's single sheet, the National Geographic Xpeditions maps will let you do that, as will a number of other sites.