Menu

Spiders!!

We're moving to an old farmhouse surrounded by suburbs (Built in the 1880's - probably one of the first homes in this area). The former resident had lived there on her own for the past 7 years, and is an older lady with limited mobility. She very obviously had a hard time cleaning...:glare:

Anyhow, cleaning I can do, but the house has a population of Giant Spiders! They look a bit like wolf spiders, but they are usually about an inch across. We have stomped about 3 and caught 4 more with sticky traps. This might not seem like a large amount, but we aren't even living there yet - still remodeling.

My DH and I are ok with regular house spiders, (meaning we're not too freaked out to kill them) but these big creepy crawlies have us both shaken. I keep imagining myself coming down at night to use the potty.....

Anyone dealt with this sort of infestation? We're in OH near Lake Erie. Please share any tips or advice.

Thanks!

Spiders like dampness. How are they getting in? Have you checked out the basement? As you continue remodeling, you'll probably see them less and less. If they really freak you out, call an exterminator. (I keep thinking of the movie Arachnophobia. :D) Otherwise, just vacuum them up as you see them and move on.

Edited by Mejane

Do you have a cat? We stayed with a lovely couple who lived in an old house with spiders. Our cat was delighted, and ate as many as he could. :lol:

Meanwhile, :grouphug: I used to love spiders, and would rescue them instead of killing them, but I seem to be growing more wary of them as I grow older. I actually squealed when my brave little toddler shoved a huge spider under my nose the other day, while we were outside. ;) Sigh.

Take one of your sticky pad victims and see if you can identiy it. If not, take it to an exterminator for identification just to make sure it isn't a brown recluse or other poisonous spider.

It may be that they were in the walls and remodeling has them scurrying into the open.

Mandy

We have spiders, and use and exterminator, 40 dollars every 3 months. The regular dose doesn't kill spiders, but it kills bugs, and where there are no bugs, spiders don't stay. Also, I've heard of continually wrecking their webs, as they often will move if the environment is hostile like that. :001_huh:

In the meantime, I guess you'll just have to squash them. I agree, I think as you keep remodeling, you may see less.

We're moving to an old farmhouse surrounded by suburbs (Built in the 1880's - probably one of the first homes in this area). The former resident had lived there on her own for the past 7 years, and is an older lady with limited mobility. She very obviously had a hard time cleaning...:glare:

Anyhow, cleaning I can do, but the house has a population of Giant Spiders! They look a bit like wolf spiders, but they are usually about an inch across. We have stomped about 3 and caught 4 more with sticky traps. This might not seem like a large amount, but we aren't even living there yet - still remodeling.

My DH and I are ok with regular house spiders, (meaning we're not too freaked out to kill them) but these big creepy crawlies have us both shaken. I keep imagining myself coming down at night to use the potty.....

Anyone dealt with this sort of infestation? We're in OH near Lake Erie. Please share any tips or advice.

Thanks!

We have wolf spiders because we live in the woods. In fact, a wolf spider in the bathroom is usually the first sign of spring! I'd rather have a flower or a robin, but nope--it's a wolf spider! :tongue_smilie:

If what you have are wolf spiders, they aren't that problematic. I will catch them in a cup or box and release them outside. I personally prefer spiders to pesticides, so I'll keep dealing with them the organic way.

I dislike creepy crawlies of any type, so I make DH spray some 6-9 month bug stuff around our house. There are types that you can spray on the outside or inside. I spray the basement and around the doors on the inside, then spray the outside of the house. It works nice, IMO

I think I was bitten by a spider recently so I will make DH spray again. I don't remember when the last time he sprayed was.

well, i'm thinking its autumn, they may have come in for the warmth. seven isn't so many... and if its only 1 or 2 a day, that's really not very many. maybe wait a week and see if there are fewer this week than last? you may already have dealt with the spider problem pretty much. (they may also be coming out because you are disturbing their places.)

good luck!

ann

When we moved into our new home last fall, my husband and kids found two black widow spiders in their holes around the house. I have lived in this area all my life and never seen a black widow. My husband sprayed around the outside of the house with bug spray (not sure what kind but he gets it at Home Depot) and there were a number of small black widow spiders dead around the house after the spraying (complete with their little red hour glasses).

We also get the big brown spiders inside the house that I suck up in the vacuum cleaner because they are so big I don't want to get close to them. The spraying helps and usually when we see a few, I know it's time to spray again. We also keep the house as clean as possible, use humidity control for the basement (a humidifier or those bags that draw the water in which I think he also gets at Home Depot) to keep it from being too moist down there, and try to keep the clutter down so I can get to the corners especially in the basement. (The last is the hardest because clutter just tends to happen no matter how much cleaning I do.) Once you are living there, you'll probably see fewer spiders, too.

I dislike spiders too. But we also live in an old house, so have had our share. We've also had a lot of asian beetles and box elder bugs trying to move in. After trying to be super clean, then an exterminator (I also hate the chemicals), I finally realized that bugs hate tea tree oil. A very small amount diluted in water in a spray bottle works. In the fall, I place a cotton ball with a few drops of straight TTO in my sunroom windows, and I've had a lot less than past years. Just be careful with it, it's potent stuff.

Or adding a few drops to a homeade cleaner is good too. :)

Thanks to all!

We were remodeling this weekend, and we saw no large spiders (yahoo!), although one of the traps had some very suspicious legs caught in it (a spider big enough to pull free of the sticky trap? Yikes!).

I think we have all of the common problems:

1. Too many bugs because of a lack of cleanliness

2. Old, damp basement (our remodel this weekend was on the bathroom - there is a two inch gap around the tile and the tub in some spots - lots of dampness in the walls

3. Nice calm place for spiders - no one has disturbed those webs in a long time.

4. Lots of nooks and crannies. The fellow who last remodeled was very "incomplete." He left lots of gaps around moldings and edges, and very rarely nailed baseboards into place. Some of the biggest webs we found behind loose baseboards.

I've been looking for a hedgeapple tree - my grandma swore by them

I love the idea of tea tree oil - Citra solv works as a contact killer for most all insects, but I would love a repellent.

I'm adverse to using strong poisons... I'm almost to that point, and in fact my DH bought some Raid type stuff, but that's our last resort.

I'll continue to clean and vacuum. We are already seeing fewer common house spiders. These big guys hide during daylight, and DH thinks we should go spider hunting (dark house, flashlights and flat-bottomed stomping shoes). I'm sure most have set up house keeping in the basement.... I just have to get up the fortitude to start cleaning (and killing) down there (Thank goodness for high powered shop-vacs with long hoses!!!)

Thanks!