Menu

LLL has pneumonia...

Just add another sickness to the list. Poor LLL has been hit hard this year.

So, after 2 1/2 weeks of high fevers and 3 visits to the doctor, she was finally diagnosed with pneumonia on Wednesday (original diagnosis was virus, and then bronchitis, and finally pneumonia on Wednesday). All along she has complained of a "stomach ache" but this turned out to be coming from the area of pneumonia in her lower lungs, so the doctor on Base assumed that she has had this for quite a while, though it must have started as a virus that her body didn't shake, developing into the bacterial pneumonia. She may have been sick as long as 4 weeks, though, given some of the symptoms.

So, I've never had any experience with pneumonia, and the doctor didn't give too much guidance, though I'm thankful that she actually ordered an x-ray, as opposed to the other doctors who seemed to poo-poo LLLs complaints.

She's no longer contagious per the doctor as her fever is down. But how long should I have her resting? She is taking naps every afternoon now, which she hasn't done in 2 years. If she wants to play outside (the weather is GORGEOUS right now, though cool) should I let her exert herself? She's smiling again which is great, but I don't want to over-tax her little body. She is still coughing a ton (which is good...loosening the goop).

Thanks for any advice!

She's no longer contagious per the doctor as her fever is down. But how long should I have her resting? She is taking naps every afternoon now, which she hasn't done in 2 years. If she wants to play outside (the weather is GORGEOUS right now, though cool) should I let her exert herself? !

Except for things like broken bones, I'm a fan of letting kiddo let me know. I wouldn't arrange play dates or anything far from home, and I'd offer smaller amounts (food) more frequently (and make it digestible), and make naps appealing (by getting into bed and reading to her), but I'd let her do as she feels able.

After my son's surgery he too complained of a "stomach ache." The nurse kept trying to convince me he was hungry or something. But, when I asked WHERE is hurt he pointed at his upper abdomen. I made the nurse go get a different nurse who asked "does it hurt when you breath in?" That's when they knew his lung had collapsed. Kids don't always use the key phrases that medical professionals expect. :grouphug:

Except for things like broken bones, I'm a fan of letting kiddo let me know. I wouldn't arrange play dates or anything far from home, and I'd offer smaller amounts (food) more frequently (and make it digestible), and make naps appealing (by getting into bed and reading to her), but I'd let her do as she feels able.

:iagree: