Menu

Latin & Greek Input wanted

cin

So, my 9 yr old is working her way through Latin's Not So Tough right now. She's in book 3 and starting to get into sentence structure etc. It's rather confusing to her because their sentences are so backwards from ours. I'm wondering if all the grammar stuff is really important. I know the WORDS are important, as a lot of our language originated from there, and it gives her a good base to decode the meanings of unknown words.

We were thinking of 1 more year of latin, and then moving on to Greek for Middle School. I'm currently interested in Open Texture Elementary Greek. And then in high school...well, we haven't gotten there yet. Maybe more indepth Greek or Latin, or maybe some other language.

Would love some input on this.

If you'd rather, you could switch to a word root study instead of Latin. If you really want her to study the Latin language, then, of course, the grammar is very important. The grammar is what lets you know what the sentences are saying despite the order of the words. However, if your primary intent is to build vocabulary, then a roots study would be fine instead.

Well, hm... I think the "grammar stuff" is, indeed, *very* important. If it's not, you might as well just study word-roots and skip the language study completely. ... But the language is more than root words for English -- it's the structure of an inflected language, it's the ability (eventually) to read original texts... The grammar of Latin really forces kids to stop and think, ask questions, analyze as they go... And these are important skills.

All that said, LNST is possibly my very least favorite Latin program out there. And I think it's no wonder at all that your daughter is confused and not learning much. I just have nothing positive to say about the program -- and the main positives I see from other people are "it's so easy" and "my child can do it on his/her own" for some period of the first few books. The problem being that the kids just don't learn much during that time and then, as the work becomes more difficult (without clear and incremental instruction), they just get lost.

I think another year of Latin and then reevaluate is fine, if that's what you want to do. It's certainly reasonable to do EG in middle school. Or you could continue with Latin, using another program. Or you could drop Latin and study root words (Vocabulary from Classical Roots or something like that) and reconsider an ancient language starting in the 7th-9th grade range... Mostly, I'd change *something* though. I think sticking with LNST will simply cause more frustration without teaching her much.

• Like 1

abbeyej, what latin program did you use (I'm assuming you DID use one) or do you recommend. I would DEFINITELY need a teachers book that explains everything! UGH

Funny you should say that about LNSTWe have sort of hit a wall in LNST. It seems that they are expectign you to just KNOW how to put those things together. If *I* cant figure it out, how the heck is SHE suppose to be able to? :banghead:

So, IF I can find another latin program, that fits us, I'm thinking we may continue latin through 7th or 8th grade, and then maybe start Greek. Or, if something clicks in her brain, maybe start it in 2 years and continue latin. Seriously, her brain could probably handle Greek, Latin and English :glare: Her brain is just so beyond me, with the way it functions.

My dd12's plan is to use the whole series of Elementary Greek (she's in Level 2 now), then see if we can find something to keep her knowledge fresh for another year or two (not sure if she'll use an actual curriculum, or some other plan), then she plans to take Greek through Lukeion Project (Lukeion.org.) I am also going to have her do some Latin roots along the way. She is not interested in taking Latin as a language at the moment, which surprises me, but I think it's partly because she wants to be different than her big sister. ;) That said, she is doing very well with Greek and seems to have a real knack.

P.S. Her name is Piper, too.

If you'd rather, you could switch to a word root study instead of Latin. If you really want her to study the Latin language, then, of course, the grammar is very important. The grammar is what lets you know what the sentences are saying despite the order of the words. However, if your primary intent is to build vocabulary, then a roots study would be fine instead.

I like this idea. Do you have a recommendation for a 5th grader?

:)

I like this idea. Do you have a recommendation for a 5th grader?

:)

Not sure which ones are best, but here are some ideas to get you started :001_smile::

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Roots of English from Memoria Press (This is recommended for 6th and up)

English From the Roots Up

You can always search here also for more reviews about these and others so you can find just the right fit.

Not sure which ones are best, but here are some ideas to get you started :001_smile::

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Roots of English from Memoria Press (This is recommended for 6th and up)

English From the Roots Up

You can always search here also for more reviews about these and others so you can find just the right fit.

Oh wow, thank you. A great start!