Menu

Foerster Algebra 1 word problem question

We are into our third week of Foerster Algebra 1 and both student and teacher enjoy the curriculum. We are following the scheduling suggestions offered on an earlier thread I posted; the pacing is comfortable. One thing that I am doing differently is scheduling two to three word problems per day. The hardest word problems will run into the next lesson so that I am not asking Swimmer Dude to do word problems he hasn't had the instruction for yet. Do any of you more experienced Foerster users anticipate any problems following this schedule? So far, Swimmer Dude doesn't bat an eye at the word problems.

Sue could you tell me what the Singapore math challenge books are like? I'm interested, but when I went to their website, it showed that only books for 1 through 4 are available. Even though these are for primary grades, are they challenging enough that they'd be good for an older student? Apparently they used to have these books available for higher levels, but have permanently discontinued those and will have new ones later this year. Any info would be great! :)

ETA: Lisa, I'm sorry! I just realized this is totally off topic. : 0

The Singapore Math books go to level 6. They discontinued the SM CWP books 1-6 and replaced them with SM CWP 1-4. 5 and 6 should be out later this year I suppose. You can still pick up the old editions used. The new CWPs have mental math work in them I believe which the old ones did not. If you search SM CWP on the curriculum board, folks have outlined what is in the new CWPs.

Sue could you tell me what the Singapore math challenge books are like? I'm interested' date=' but when I went to their website, it showed that only books for 1 through 4 are available. Even though these are for primary grades, are they challenging enough that they'd be good for an older student? Apparently they used to have these books available for higher levels, but have permanently discontinued those and will have new ones later this year. Any info would be great! :)

[/quote']

We used MUS from K through Algebra. MUS is weak in word problems. I discovered CWP around 4th grade and we used them in 4th-6th. They were great. They were challenging. Ds called them evil. :D I wish I had discovered them earlier.

As an example, MUS taught perimeter and area and had a number of problems geared towards each. Ds had no problem with it. CWP would give pieces of the perimeter, then ask for the area. It made me realize just how poorly ds understood the difference. He would struggle with it at first, but eventually, he truly had a better understanding of perimeter and area.

If you have an older student, I have found Life of Fred to provide a similar challenge. But, LoF is more than just a supplement, whereas CWP were great for supplementing. Actually, it seems that LoF Fractions and Decimals are good for supplementing. I'm not sure about the newer Pre-Algebra. We used LoF Algebra and it was a complete program, not a supplement.

The Singapore Math books go to level 6. They discontinued the SM CWP books 1-6 and replaced them with SM CWP 1-4. 5 and 6 should be out later this year I suppose.

We used the old version. I think the newer version is getting positive reviews now.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

We used MUS from K through Algebra. MUS is weak in word problems. I discovered CWP around 4th grade and we used them in 4th-6th. They were great. They were challenging. Ds called them evil. :D I wish I had discovered them earlier.

As an example, MUS taught perimeter and area and had a number of problems geared towards each. Ds had no problem with it. CWP would give pieces of the perimeter, then ask for the area. It made me realize just how poorly ds understood the difference. He would struggle with it at first, but eventually, he truly had a better understanding of perimeter and area.

If you have an older student, I have found Life of Fred to provide a similar challenge. But, LoF is more than just a supplement, whereas CWP were great for supplementing. Actually, it seems that LoF Fractions and Decimals are good for supplementing. I'm not sure about the newer Pre-Algebra. We used LoF Algebra and it was a complete program, not a supplement.

We used the old version. I think the newer version is getting positive reviews now.

Sue, thanks for the answer on the word problems. Did you do both Life of Fred and Foerster's Algebra 1? I know 8Filltheheart mentions doing Algebra 1 twice. I am thinking that between those two and some of the geometry and review in Saxon Algebra 1, we should have a solid foundation. Of course, I am still wanting to check out the Art of Problem Solving, but one thing at a time.:tongue_smilie:

Sue, thanks for the answer on the word problems. Did you do both Life of Fred and Foerster's Algebra 1? I know 8Filltheheart mentions doing Algebra 1 twice. I am thinking that between those two and some of the geometry and review in Saxon Algebra 1, we should have a solid foundation. Of course, I am still wanting to check out the Art of Problem Solving, but one thing at a time.:tongue_smilie:

We used MUS Algebra and LoF Algebra in 7th grade. Then, Foerster's Algebra and Patty Paper Geometry in 8th grade. I know, I'm a nut. I had heard so many things about LoF, I just had to try it. If I could do it all over again, I think I would have skipped LoF (it didn't fit ds's learning style) and used PPG in 7th with MUS Algebra.

Why bother with one thing at a time, eh? Actually, I'm finally doing that this year. :001_rolleyes: