Menu

Grrr . . . vent about doctor

MY doctor. This is the second time in the last year that I've really needed to get in for an appointment and they're closed. No suggestions as far as what to do in the meantime if you need to see a doctor other than to go to the ER if it's an emergency. I went a few weeks ago and my blood pressure was really high, but there were some outside circumstances (including medication) that were contributing to it, so we cut those things out, and it's still high (at least according to the machine at Wal-Mart). I called yesterday and today and they're not in. I'm so frustrated! I like my doctor, but I'm seriously thinking about shopping around for another doctor--one who's in a practice with at least two or three others. I just hate trying to find a doctor. :glare:

Ours had a couple of "Dr Back-ups". Have you asked if they have Drs to call if they aren't in? They weren't in practice together.... but they swapped patients when necessary...

??

The practices we have used have always had a doctor on-call at least so you could talk to one over the phone. That really surprises me. I would definitely look into switching practices.

Ours had a couple of "Dr Back-ups". Have you asked if they have Drs to call if they aren't in? They weren't in practice together.... but they swapped patients when necessary...

??

I don't think so. Yesterday it did give me the option to call the "doctor on call," but I've done that once before and it was my doctor (who basically told me to go to the ER or urgent care). And with something like this that looks like it's going to be an ongoing thing, I really want to see *my* doctor, who knows my history and knows what's been going on. If it was something more acute, like an ear infection or sore throat, I wouldn't mind going to urgent care so much (our insurance does cover it up to a point). It probably won't be a big deal to wait until Monday (will it??), but I'm a little freaked out about it, and it's frustrating to not be able to get the answers I need.

What was your BP at Wal-Mart?

You can never trust those machines, because who knows when the last time it was calibrated. And your arm has to be just right.

I have HBP and I am on meds for it, and I know that sometimes I can check it at walmart, and it gives me this crazy number.

You are better off buying a home BP cuff. Digital. Sit and take it at the same place every time. Always wait 5 minutes. Feet flat on the floor, palm up and hand open.

90% of the Dr's do not take accurate BP's. And if they use the digital machine, insist on the manual.

And I know what you mean about Dr's. Their answer is always to go the the ER. It drives me batty.

You can never trust those machines, because who knows when the last time it was calibrated. And your arm has to be just right.

I have HBP and I am on meds for it, and I know that sometimes I can check it at walmart, and it gives me this crazy number.

You are better off buying a home BP cuff. Digital. Sit and take it at the same place every time. Always wait 5 minutes. Feet flat on the floor, palm up and hand open.

90% of the Dr's do not take accurate BP's. And if they use the digital machine, insist on the manual.

And I know what you mean about Dr's. Their answer is always to go the the ER. It drives me batty.

I agree. Go buy a home bp machine. It's good to have anyway and will give you much better information. Information that you can use to make a better decision on what to do over the weekend.

That makes me feel a bit better. The Wal-Mart machine said 150/84, I think. I hate the machines anyway--they make me really tense up, so much so that when I was pregnant they always had to retake it manually (and got a much better number!). I seriously doubt it's really that high, but from how I'm feeling, I'm pretty sure it's still high. I'll check into the home machine tomorrow.